riding with a cold

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
peter236uk

riding with a cold

Post by peter236uk »

I have picked up a cold was out on Bike on Monday when it seemed to develop so I did not commute into work today its a 11.5 miles each way do others ride with a cold should I ride with a cold.
Coffee

Re: riding with a cold

Post by Coffee »

peter236uk wrote:I have picked up a cold was out on Bike on Monday when it seemed to develop so I did not commute into work today its a 11.5 miles each way do others ride with a cold should I ride with a cold.

I try not to. I'll get over a cold quicker if I take it easy, otherwise I find it developes it to something worse, especially if its gone to the lungs.

Get the fresh lemon, ginger and honey out!
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Personally I'd happily ride with a cold or do any other form of 'moderate' exercise.
But I don't race or do any intensive exercise since I find that does make things worse.
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Sometimes you feel better for the fresh air, other times you don't. Do whatever's more comfortable.

From a racing/training POV, what kwackers said: don't. Training is about stressing your body and then letting it recover and "grow back stronger" - if you're not in a state to recover quickly, it's the wrong thing to do.

Coffee wrote:Get the fresh lemon, ginger and honey out!

Beer and a hot curry works for me. This is not medical advice
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

A gentle afternoons's pootling about during the recovery stages of a cold can help clear the tubes and generally cheer you up.
But dont push it during the feverish phase, you'll just be giving your body more problems to deal with.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'm going down with a cold, I can feel it coming on. I rode out yesterday and (only) did 46 miles. I came back drained and worn out. Bed at 9.15.

I just don't feel like cycling today.
Mick F. Cornwall
Manx Cat

Post by Manx Cat »

Well, I think if you dont feel like it then dont cycle. Listen to your body.

BUt once the hot/cold bit has passed when you are still bunged but not feverish, I do find that cycling is a fab way to clear out the tubes so to speak.

Mary
BrianInnes

Post by BrianInnes »

It's important to listen to your body, particularly if your work is somewhat on the physical side. Despite work only being 3.5 miles each way it's a bit of a burden if I'm chocked full of the cold if I commute on the bike and do a days hard graft too.
Michael R

Post by Michael R »

When I have a cold I cut back on cycling and make sure I stay on the flat and avoid major headwinds. Normally I prefer the big hills with a 1000ft+ climb. I also only walk on the flat and avoid mountains.

The risks in not doing so are too great for the over-60s and simply not worth it for a week.

I allow a week after the cold goes before I get back to my usual rides.

I consider it sheer folly to do otherwise
peter236uk

re

Post by peter236uk »

I have not ridded much at all this week only to nip to shops the cold seems to be going but have bit of sore throat and chesty cough so think let it clear up.
I rode last time I had a cold around Christmas time and was really ill think like someone has said breathing in the cold air does not help.
sesme

Post by sesme »

I know it may be too late for this particular cold you have developed, but consider buyig some multivitamins, and, most importantly, a big bottle of cod liver oil. I know the latter tastes disgusting (for the first few weeks anyway) but it really works for me (not sure how, might even be via a placebo effect!). This is only anecdotal, but myself and a colleague have been doing so for the last three years. We used to complain of getting heavy week-long colds every month or so, but I went a whole 18 months without a cold after I started taking a daily teaspoon of the fishy goodness. When everyone else in the office has gone down with a contageous stinker of a cold, I've been pretty immune on the whole. I still feel colds coming on maybe once or twice a year, but it seems they don't really kick in properly like the week-long colds I used to be plagued with; rather than the 2 days of sore throat and headache followed by 5 days of running nose, the symptoms usually vanish within 24 hours.
Beakyboy

Post by Beakyboy »

Best cure for the cold...... lots of hot whiskies!!!

One thing that really annoys me are people who say they have a touch of the flu!!!! When clearly all they have is a cold. I can tell you I have had the Flu twice (I now have the jab) and they most definitely do not. The flu is a terrible dose!
May the wind always be at your rear!
vernon

Post by vernon »

I'm sure that I've come across the following recommendation on more than one occasion:

If the cold is a head cold i.e. all the symptoms are from the neck upwards it's generally OK to continue pedalling. A chest cold however should lead to a rest from exercising.
Cove Scout

Post by Cove Scout »

Cycled in this morning with a snotty nose. I find it helps clear my nasal passages but does make a bit of a mess of the A30 :lol:
I agree with the post about listening to your body.
Big T

Post by Big T »

If i have a cold, then I wouldn't be going to work. I makes me angry that people come to work with colds and give them to everyone else in the office.

As previously stated, if it's a head cold and you're past the feverish stage, a bike ride will clear you out. If you have a chest cold, stay off the bike until it's better.