Drink Cycling

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
unknown

Drink Cycling

Post by unknown »

What are your thoughts on it?

Like I mean, say you've had 3 or 4 pints, would you cycle home?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Would, or Could ??

So long as it wasn't far, and certainly not any fast descents. I would.
But it ain't fun, cycling with a belly full of beer!
Mick F. Cornwall
dmiller

Re: Drink Cycling

Post by dmiller »

unknown wrote:What are your thoughts on it?

I would have trouble walking home! :D
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

These days I wouldn't trust myself after a glass of wine!

3 or 4 pints would mean the odds of unlocking the bike or even remembering I'd come on one would be insurmountable (as would the bike).
Si

Post by Si »

Not being a drinker of much ability I'd not consider getting on the bike if I'd had anything more than around half a pint of standard beer, and then I'd only consider it if it were a short ride on an undemanding route.
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

There isn't such a moral problem with "drink cycling" because you don't represent much of a threat to others (compared with someone doing 50mph past a primary school with 9 pints in him!)

However I always feel "wrong" when I get on the bike after drinking more than a pint. I did it as a student but not really since.

Maybe if I wasn't cycling home through a city centre I'd have a different view!
2Tubs

Post by 2Tubs »

I ride home after 3 pints down my WMC every Friday night.

I'm not wobbly, though you can bet your last quid my reactions are slowed (though I don't notice).

I cycle down a dual carraigeway about a mile.

It's naughty, and I do feel quite mischevious. I was talking about it to a neighbour (4x4 driver, pah!) and he was horrified. I argued that he posed more of a danger sober behind the wheel of his 4x4 than I would blind drunk at the bars of my Brommie (I can take that in the club, to much mickey taking, usually)

And not that I'm ever blind drunk. I'd never take it to a party or anywhere I might have the odd drop of Dark Rum . . .

After all, I might take the odd calculated risk with my own safety, but I'm not suicidal.

Gazza
Why not Look at Sheila's Wheelers E2E Journal
Or My Personal Site
Or My Tweets
Whatever you do, buy fair trade.
And smile.
pigman

Re: Drink Cycling

Post by pigman »

unknown wrote:What are your thoughts on it?

no problem, do it weekly. Sometimes more than 3 or 4 pints. Ok, I guess if you did a scientific test then reactions etc might show up as slower. But definitely not a drunk/wobbly/incoherent/ cant undo the lock situation. and its a country pub, the way home is unused (and unlit) and its typically midnight. Its rare that I'm going home alone - theres always a few of us. i'm not saying that I'm proud to be defying the law, but its a long-standing arrangement thats been occurring for years. Sadly, there's fewer and fewer of us meeting as the traditional social cycling scene seems to by dying out in favour of performance & pose-oriented cycling. As we rarely see anyone else on the road, there's minimal risk to other road users.

I'm ready to take the flack and be downcast with the RLJers, pavement riders and 4x4 drivers, but thats how it is. Cycling is about fun, enjoyment and friends as much as stacking in the miles.
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

If you're not drunk it's not illegal. You'd have to evaluate what extra risk it imposed on other people to decide if it was immoral. It's hard to imagine how you could be much more dangerous to others though. I'm sure someone can come up with some contrived circumstance where you would. They'd struggle to convince me that this wasn't just as likely if you were distracted or tired or whatever. Pretty much the same question as "if you'd had 3 or 4 pints would you walk home?".
james01

Post by james01 »

I'm a regular pub-cyclist. Love it. I don't worry about going over the limit for motorists, within reason.
When I have to drive, however, my personal rule is quite simple: not a single drop.
keepontriking

Post by keepontriking »

james01 wrote:I'm a regular pub-cyclist. Love it. I don't worry about going over the limit for motorists, within reason.

Although you may still be asked to take a breath test.
askeans

Post by askeans »

EdinburghFixed wrote:There isn't such a moral problem with "drink cycling" because you don't represent much of a threat to others (compared with someone doing 50mph past a primary school with 9 pints in him!)

However I always feel "wrong" when I get on the bike after drinking more than a pint. I did it as a student but not really since.

Maybe if I wasn't cycling home through a city centre I'd have a different view!

I hate this argument - because I'm not as bad as X it is ok to do Y. It does not stand up to much scrunity.

Please consider the implications of what you are doing and not that is 'less bad' than somthinkg else therefore it is ok.

Back to drink cycling personally I don't do it (I live a 5 min walk from my local so no need!) - But having demonstrated on a police breath test that I can be under the limit on 6 pints it goes to show how strange limits are really.

Ps I wasn't stopped after 6 pints driving I have a no driving after any beer policy too.
Last edited by askeans on 25 Sep 2008, 2:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
james01

Post by james01 »

keepontriking wrote:
james01 wrote:I'm a regular pub-cyclist. Love it. I don't worry about going over the limit for motorists, within reason.

Although you may still be asked to take a breath test.

I've heard this too, but can anyone verify it? If you're a pedestrian/horserider/roller skater/other(are there any other travel methods :) ), can you still be breathalysed?
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

I hate this argument - because I'm not as bad as X it is ok to do Y. It does not stand up to much scrunity.

When you walk back from the local with 6 pints in you, you pose a greater risk to others than sober because your judgement is impaired. Just because walking is not as bad as driving doesn't mean it's ok to walk drunk? :twisted:
askeans

Post by askeans »

EdinburghFixed wrote:

When you walk back from the local with 6 pints in you, you pose a greater risk to others than sober because your judgement is impaired. Just because walking is not as bad as driving doesn't mean it's ok to walk drunk? :twisted:

EF-
That is a different argument - comparing two comparable acts i.e. to walk sober or with 6 pints is within the same band or responses - To compare cycling drunk and driving drunk these two acts are not within the same band. Therefore an invalid comparison.

It's bit like saying it’s ok that I punched the man - because it's not as bad as kicking him.

I've re-read my post and it sound like my rant was aimed at you personally - it wasn't just the type of argument that you suggested gets my goat.