How far do people commute?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.

How far do you commute (each way)?

Too far to cycle...
3%
up to 2 miles
6%
up to 5 miles
16%
up to 7 miles
14%
up to 10 miles
19%
up to 15 miles
20%
up to 20 miles
12%
more than 20 miles
8%

Total votes: 98

aesmith

Post by aesmith »

I posted "too far". Actually my work prevents me from cycling on a regular basis, as I need motor transport from time to time at work. However its 16.5 miles each way, and that is too far for me to do full time even if work allowed. Time is a factor as it takes a bit over half an hour longer than by car, then I have to spend time at work "cooling off" and changing.

Currently I usually manage a round trip every week or so.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

18 miles one way, but sometimes do up to 40 mile round trip when working afternoons and go out in the mornings.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
WesBrooks

Post by WesBrooks »

Out of those who commute 10-15 miles or more who still rides in (where there is the option of public transport) when it's heavy rain in the morning? I tend to avoid riding in heavy rain as no matter how much waterproofing I wear the water still gets through (my route is along a main route into Liverpool so loads of spray off traffic) and putting on wet kit for the ride home is rarely pleasant! Equally as tend to push myself when I commute I get very sweaty with waterproofs on, even when they are breathable water proof fabrics.

Other than that I'll avoid riding in icy, foggy (rather than misty), or where the forecast wind speed is much over 30mph.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

As a lightweight commuter (cycling around 3.5m each way)

I find it interesting how high the mean distance is in the poll.

I wonder if this is because of the nature of these forums? i.e. more heavyweight cyclists. I'm sure the average person I see in a morning is going nowhere near that sort of distance - but then I'm sure they probably have a more utilitarian view of their cycling and would probably never even heard of the CTC or considered joining a cycling forum...
Peyote

Post by Peyote »

WesBrooks wrote:Out of those who commute 10-15 miles or more who still rides in (where there is the option of public transport) when it's heavy rain in the morning? I tend to avoid riding in heavy rain as no matter how much waterproofing I wear the water still gets through (my route is along a main route into Liverpool so loads of spray off traffic) and putting on wet kit for the ride home is rarely pleasant! Equally as tend to push myself when I commute I get very sweaty with waterproofs on, even when they are breathable water proof fabrics.

Other than that I'll avoid riding in icy, foggy (rather than misty), or where the forecast wind speed is much over 30mph.

I'm the same Wes, if I've got to do the full 26 mile (52 mile round trip), then it's public tranpsort all the way if the weather is too wet or windy. I don't mind so much the fog and ice.

I have cycled home in pretty torrential weather this summer, but because it's summer the cold isn't an issue so I juts get wet and enjoy cycling in the rivers that used to be roads! I've yet to find a waterproof that works on a bike, I doubt they exist to fit in with my pace of cycling and the required operating range!

Fortunately it is quite rare to get wet and/or windy enough to stop me cycle commuting and I've noticed that for a shorter commute I'm liable to put up with much worse weather.
dkmwt

Post by dkmwt »

My commute is 6.7 miles each way going direct. But I now do an 8.6 mile return in order to avoid going through a night spot that often has drunks outside smoking and shouting abuse as I ride by.
Cheers, Donald
Trice "Qnt 26" 26/39/55 F 10sp 11/36 R, now with Windwrap fairing.
ICE B1 34/50 F Capreo 9/32 R.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dkmwt/78674512/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1188814973
JohnChell

Re: How far do people commute?

Post by JohnChell »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Poll question is each way, not round trip

I've had a number of people claim that my 10mile each way commute is mad.

It's odd how if you just keep doing something you stop being "mad" and people start to take notice, my "Mad" 17.5 miles each way has resulted in my employer starting cycle scheme and funding has now been found for new staff changing facilities and a shower (although its not built yet) it seems I made it possible for management to tick a lot of boxes on the transport plan, I'm now called many things by the boss, but not "mad anymore!!!!
"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable and to give an appearance of solidarity to pure wind" -George Orwell.
workhard

Post by workhard »

I'll confess to choosing to wear a Fiat Cinquecento when it is cold+wet, raining hard, or blowing a hooley, in which case the bike stays in the shed. I'm not yet mentally hardened enough to ride 10+ miles in those conditions and find it is all too easy to just get into the car. Think I need to buck my ideas up and get into a routine/rhythm.

May have to change my ways if we go from a two to a one car family and Mrs Workhard takes over the chunkychicken for her commute. Looks imminent as recent residents parking scheme amendments and new parking restrictions means she can rarely find anywhere legal to park close at hand when she gets home and the resulting hassle is getting her down.

If we go one car that will have a knock on effect on my other hobby; rugby union refereeing, as I won't realistically be able to get to Wednesday PM matches more than few miles from the office.
Big T

Post by Big T »

My current commute is just 6 miles each way around the outskirts of Nottingham, but I did used to commute 21 miles each way from Keyworth, near Nottingham to the centre of Leicester. This used to take between 1hr 10 min and 1hr 30 min, but was just as fast as the bus that i used if the weather was bad. I only used to cycle the whole way in the summer, as part of my route involved the fast and busy A46, not a road I would like to cycle on in the dark. In winter, I used to cycle 10 miles to Loughborough and catch the train into Leicester.

I recently cycled 40 miles each way to a conference in Market Bosworth. My colleagues were amazed at this.
Kirst

Post by Kirst »

My commute is a little over 3 miles each way, but my job involves visiting people in their own homes around south east Edinburgh - really from Princes Street to the city bypass, and from Portobello to Mortonhall, which is quite a big area. So my daily mileage can vary from just 6 miles return commute, to 30 miles if I'd done a couple of visits as well.
I can handle bars and cycle paths but I can't handle cars and psychopaths

http://action.hopenothate.org.uk/page/s/notinmyname
johno

Post by johno »

My commute is just over 20 miles (round trip) depending upon which route I take from New Brighton to Huyton in Merseyside. Having to catch the ferry over the River Mersey gives me a nice break on the way!

I do occasionally catch the train if it is pouring down (or I am feeling a bit lazy!) as Merseyrail and Northern Rail don't have a problem with carrying bikes without reservation.
WesBrooks

Post by WesBrooks »

Peyote wrote:...I have cycled home in pretty torrential weather this summer, but because it's summer the cold isn't an issue...

I'll second that! Wet and warm isn't so much of an issue and I can leave my kit somewhere near an open window to dry out. When it's this weather or colder I can't leave the window open so the office starts to pong and I have a damp pad for my ride home!

The worst this year was after I decided to ride from St Helens to Stone rather than catch three trains each way. I only rode one way then stopped a few nights and rode back another day but the rain on the way back as very heavy. I cleaned and re-oiled my chain the following day (as per usual when I get caught in heavy rain) only to find out that I had managed to trap a fair quantity of water in the v-shaped bit of my rim! Had to take the tyre off to let it out!
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

dkmwt wrote:My commute is 6.7 miles each way going direct. But I now do an 8.6 mile return in order to avoid going through a night spot that often has drunks outside smoking and shouting abuse as I ride by.

One beauty of the ipod, I could hear traffic, and the howling gale in the trees last night as I cycled into work, but the delightful comments of the Lanky youf was completely missed due to the dulcet tones of Bob Dylan!

Having avoided most ot the rain last night the ride home was challenging!

Just got nicely warm by Chorley when slowing/start/stop nature of negotiating traffic and junctions whilst avoiding some rather large puddles meant I began to chill quite quickly. The wet clothes are stil where I peeled them off in the kitchen before switching on mattress heater and standing in a very hot shower for 10 mins to bring life back to the extremities.
Oh Joy the life of the commuter after a weeks holiday with sunshine!!!

Confess I will be in the car tonight cos have to back for an appointment early tomorrow morning.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
dkmwt

Post by dkmwt »

eileithyia

As I ride a trike with a streamer fairing I have to let a lot of comments go over my head. It's not what they say it's what they might do. About 12 months ago I was on the way to a job in a late night dinner, starting at 10pm. I stopped at a junction and a drunken yoof decided he was going to get a lift and sat on my rack, luckily he didn't break anything. So now if I have the chance of avoiding nightspots I will.

As for the hot shower when it's been raining. Many times I've got home and put the bath running before I bring the bike in the house. Then kicked my shoes off and got straight in clothes and all.
Cheers, Donald
Trice "Qnt 26" 26/39/55 F 10sp 11/36 R, now with Windwrap fairing.
ICE B1 34/50 F Capreo 9/32 R.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dkmwt/78674512/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1188814973
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

Mine is just short of 20miles each way. Can I join the little elite over 20 mile group if I I do an extra loop around the block? :lol:

A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.