Road rage incident

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
dmiller

Post by dmiller »

This happens to me roughly two / three times a year.

Glasgow taxi drivers are a disgrace.

Im actually shocked the police bothered to do anything. :cry:
meic

Post by meic »

Not sure how he was convicted of failing to report an accident. This was no accident. It seems that if you commit a crime with a car you are immune to the normal laws. A big thank you is required for the guy who volunteered to be a witness. Normally when these things happen people just drive off not wanting to get involved.
I just read it again and he was convicted of assault aswell as the motoring offences. Do they not have "assault with a deadly weapon" in Scotland?
Last edited by meic on 6 Oct 2008, 5:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yma o Hyd
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Another driver Kenneth Taylor, 55, said he could not believe what he was seeing.

Mr Taylor said: "I saw the taxi swerve the first time and I thought "did that just happen?" then I saw him do it again."

"The taxi driver was smiling, laughing away to himself."

It shows the value of independent witnesses. How else could Sheriff Andrew Mackie have been able to reject the defendant's version 'beyond reasonable doubt'?

And a big 'thank you' to Mr Kenneth Taylor for being public-spirited enough to come forward.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

meic wrote:Not sure how he was convicted of failing to report an accident. This was no accident. It seems that if you commit a crime with a car you are immune to the normal laws. A big thank you is required for the guy who volunteered to be a witness. Normally when these things happen people just drive off not wanting to get involved.
I just read it again and he was convicted of assault aswell as the motoring offences. Do they not have "assault with a deadly weapon" in Scotland?

Meic

We were posting together.

1/ He has been convicted of assault - no mention of the level. Perhaps somebody who knows about Scots Law can confirm: I think that in Scotland assault is a fairly broad charge, and the Sheriff has the job of setting the sentence according to the circumstances.

2/ As there are no offences of failing to stop or failing to report having assaulted somebody, the two accident charges strike me as a bonus.

3/ There is no 'assault with a deadly weapon' in England and Wales either. That's Perry Mason, Kojak, etc.
bikely-challenged

Post by bikely-challenged »

If you want to kill someone in this country, run them down in your car. You're much more likely to get light punishment, or none at all.

I'll be interested to see what sentence Mr Palmer receives and whether he is allowed to drive a vehicle again. Interested, but disappointed.....
-----------------------------------------------------------
DISCLAIMER: The above constitutes my personal opinion only on any given subject. Other opinions are available.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

bikely-challenged wrote:If you want to kill someone in this country, run them down in your car. You're much more likely to get light punishment, or none at all.

I'll be interested to see what sentence Mr Palmer receives and whether he is allowed to drive a vehicle again. Interested, but disappointed.....

Whatever his punishment, I can't imagine his career as a taxi driver has much future.

Perhaps one day he'll just go postal and drive around running over cyclists.
Hector's House

Post by Hector's House »

dmiller wrote:This happens to me roughly two / three times a year.

Glasgow taxi drivers are a disgrace.

Im actually shocked the police bothered to do anything. :cry:

The last taxi driver I had in glasgow mad me seethe!

You have to be crazy to cycle in Glasgow city. I'm not sure why I've done so the last few days... :?
dmiller

Post by dmiller »

Hector's House wrote:You have to be crazy to cycle in Glasgow city. I'm not sure why I've done so the last few days... :?

I dont see why I should have to not cycle to avoid these muppets.

My hope is that when enough people cycle drivers (mostly Taxi drivers) will figure out there is no point in trying to force the cyclists off the road. We are here to stay.

Plus if I let how I choose to live my life and do the things I enjoy be affected by some tax dodging lazy fat useless [rude word removed] in a taxi I would be disgusted with me. Its hard on a day to day basis though. :(

David.
random37

Post by random37 »

bikely-challenged wrote:If you want to kill someone in this country, run them down in your car. You're much more likely to get light punishment, or none at all.

Absolutely. Look at the ex-footballer in the news yesterday. He was driving while off his face, killed 2 children and put their father in a wheelchair.
7 years for that is a joke, IMO. He could be out in 3 1/2.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

chris667 wrote:

Absolutely. Look at the ex-footballer in the news yesterday. He was driving while off his face, killed 2 children and put their father in a wheelchair.
7 years for that is a joke, IMO. He could be out in 3 1/2.

And more than likely as he steps out of prison he'll drive off in his car by which time he'll have his licence back.A joke indeed,the joke is on us.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Folks we have a very serious social problem in this country and not just on the roads.
Bullying and drink/drugs play a very major part in that social problem.
Beakyboy

Re: Road rage incident

Post by Beakyboy »

rualexander wrote:In the news today :

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland ... 655229.stm

Did I just read that?! :shock:
May the wind always be at your rear!
Tom Richardson

Post by Tom Richardson »

kwackers wrote:Whatever his punishment, I can't imagine his career as a taxi driver has much future.

I wouldn't bet on that. His behaviour isn't unusual in my experience.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

In the Glasgow case in the OP I suggest we can only wait and see.

The taxi driver has been convicted by the sheriff and sentence has been deferred. The only reason that would happen in England and Wales and I'm presuming it's the same in Scotland is for pre-sentencing reports. That does not mean 'Can he afford a fiver, or could I take him for a monkey?' It usually means, 'We are looking at gaol here. Can anybody in the probation service (or whatever they now call it) come up with an alternative?'