Idiot driver in plymouth

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
professorlandslide

Idiot driver in plymouth

Post by professorlandslide »

Hey, been away for a while, got bored, anyway...

So i was caught up in a 'road rage' incident in plymouth, crownhill road involving the car in the attached pic. Mr Driver thought it was acceptable to overtake me then come to a sudden halt on the cycle lane, and then when i registered my disapproval (by shouting 'you're in the cycle lane') as i went past, thought it was okay to chase me down and try and run me off the road. He succeeded when i was blocked by yet another car parked on a double yello in the bike lane. So i stopped, had no choice other than to undertake on the pavement, (which i'll do next time) photographed his number plate on my phone cam and told him (he was out of the car at this point) that if he didn't back off i'd call the plod, at this point he assaulted me and broke my phone...

So i reported the incident, gave the police the pic and the smashed mobile and they pulled him in. His version, he was minding his own business when this maniac on a bike attacked his car!

Hmm. So the CPS aren't doing anything, no 'proof' no witnesses etc... He's got away with it. So if you see the car below, avoid it, the guy's a psycho...

Needless to say, if anyone tries to push me around in a car again, neither pavements or red lights will stop me getting away... 'It werent me guv' seems to be an adequate defence...

EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

Unlucky... I don't really have anything to say other than, well done at your restraint (by the time it got to the phone smashing stage, I think I would have lost it and be putting the boot in!)

On the positive side, if someone else reports something similar, the guy does now have 'previous' even if it's just informal... I'd imagine he considers himself to have had a lucky escape (even though I know, it feels like he came out on top)

A good case for helmet camera use if I ever heard one :(
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Stick the mobile phone on to video!
meic

Post by meic »

I would not be happy to accept the Police's inaction. The smashed phone is evidence, it is their job to find proof. At the very least I would make sure it is down as an unresolved crime in their figures.
Yma o Hyd
meic

Post by meic »

You also have the option of suing him in the small claims court for the broken phone. The Police would be obliged to hand over his details to the court.
Yma o Hyd
professorlandslide

meic wrote:You also have the option of suing him in the small claims court for the broken phone. The Police would be obliged to hand over his details to the court.

Yeah, i did think of that, only thing is with a civil case his lawyers would be able to find out my details and i don't fancy that much...
meic

Post by meic »

They would not have to make any effort it would be on the first letter he received from you asking for payment for the phone.
Yma o Hyd
meic

Post by meic »

If you are a CTC member it could be worth chasing up some of your member benefits. I dont know what the Police are playing at here. This guy has just learnt he can do as he pleases.
Yma o Hyd
pwward

Post by pwward »

I suffered a similar attack and was lucky enough to have witnesses. The person admitted it and was given a caution.

I obtained his name and address with the help of a solicitor (they did it free, don't know why) and wrote him a polite letter using my work address asking for £246 lost earnings (from having to miss work) or I would take him to court for lost earnings and personal injury. He paid up.

Pursue him!
askeans

Post by askeans »

Sounds like a nasty incident - at least it was 'only' the phone that got damaged.

These are tough for the police when it is one persons word v another, they need to prove beyond reasonable doubt that this happened as you state (I'm not doubting your version at all btw).

I suspect that is one reaons why there are a lot of cautions for this sort of thing.

Doesn't feel right that this guy gets away with it but other than lowering the burden of proof in criminal trials what do we do?
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

I was knocked off by a hit-and-run driver in Edinburgh city centre this summer, despite having two witnesses nothing has come of it! So unfortunately, I don't that you will get far pursuing this one.

If it makes you feel better, you could get his details from the police and write him a letter - or maybe pop past and leave a note tucked under his wiper (might be more effective, but you're getting into grey areas now!)
professorlandslide

He was stupid enough to assault me quite close to his house... I've seen the car parked outside. Interestingly there are now big security gates where there weren't any before, i don't know if he's expecting revenge attacks from marauding cyclists, probably been reading about what a bunch of maniacs we all are in the daily mail...
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

I would probably not be as restrained as I should be...

I urge you to take the moral high ground regardless!
professorlandslide

Its sods law - he's already got off, if i tried anything i probably wouldn't. I'm going to be fitting metal bar ends and bar caps, if anyone tries anything like that again then it'll be a nice big scrape up the side of their car and 'teh mean ol' car driver knocked me off, officer!' followed by a claim on their insurance... :evil:
Tony

Post by Tony »

Always remember that the standard of proof required for a civil case is lower than that in a criminal one.