No cycling tomorrow... have you seen the weather?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Manx Cat

No cycling tomorrow... have you seen the weather?

Post by Manx Cat »

Im already feeling hacked off about this... :evil:

Forecast for tomorrow is for 50+mph winds... Not that I mind much for going home with of course... but unfortunately as I have to cycle along country lanes lined with trees and the like... plus I have no proper high beam light while I wait for my replacement lamp.

So, Ive been banned from cycling to work tomorrow.... Him lying next to me has made me promise not to cycle, so I have to take the...yukkk I can bearly type it... the C....A....R... :shock:

I hate missing days off my bike I really do! I mean, its only a bit of wind, molecules of gas blasting about the place... Mind you, I dont fancy slowing down a branches approach to earth via my back either.

So batton down the hatches folks... its getting rough out there.

Mary
jezer

Post by jezer »

Naw - it will be fine. Trust me , I'm a Rotarian :)
Power to the pedals
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Last time we had severe gales I baled and used the car, just down the road from where the car was a complete tree came down blocking the road and others came down near to the hospital.
Whilst I was at a local supermarket near the hospital something (unsure what ) flew thru the air and hit the car, no damage but it did shake me up.
It is not just the odd, branch if a tree comes down near you it is pretty massive spread of branches and debris to try to avoid.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
dmiller

Post by dmiller »

Well the morning commute was fun here - although only 30mph gusts according to metcheck. :wink:
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

I had to take the train as the bridge was shut to bikes... gah!

£6.80 for the pleasure of acting like cattle, stings every time.

However I did get to ride in to the station with a 50mph tailwind ;-)
2Tubs

Post by 2Tubs »

EdinburghFixed wrote:I had to take the train as the bridge was shut to bikes... gah!

£6.80 for the pleasure of acting like cattle, stings every time.

However I did get to ride in to the station with a 50mph tailwind ;-)

Don't you just love tail winds?

Anyone who saw me not so long ago with a decent tail wind must have thought I was Bradly Wiggin's traiing partner. Did I shift? Oh yeah!

>;o)

Had the opposite today. Nearly ruined my comute in.

Gazza
Why not Look at Sheila's Wheelers E2E Journal
Or My Personal Site
Or My Tweets
Whatever you do, buy fair trade.
And smile.
PW

Post by PW »

The rain hasn't got here yet but judging by the rising wind it won't be long. :(
I was brought to a dead stop by a gust as I slogged over the tops on my "extended commute" this morning.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

As always - the answer is a recumbent Trike!
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

I did a 50 mile ride today it was very windy at times and took me 15 minutes longer :(
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

dmiller wrote:Well the morning commute was fun here - although only 30mph gusts according to metcheck. :wink:
Yep, agreed. Although Glaswegian commuters just don't expect to see bikes in this weather, so I really needed my wits about me :D
Manx Cat

Post by Manx Cat »

Now Im all jealous!

But wind is less tomorrow, so back on the road again. Replacment lamp has arrived too, so really chuffed again! AND THE SUN IS SHINING tomorrow too!

Numbnuts... 50 miles! Well bloomin' done in this weather. I reckon Im doing ok with my 8 miler for the day! :lol:

Mary
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

Hmm... I may have had a 50mph tailwind but I didn't shut my saddlebag so lost my levers and glue! You'd at least think the wind would have kept them in ;-)
BrianInnes

Post by BrianInnes »

EdinburghFixed wrote:Hmm... I may have had a 50mph tailwind but I didn't shut my saddlebag so lost my levers and glue! You'd at least think the wind would have kept them in ;-)

Meant to be worse over the weekend!

Just so long as the weather improves come monday, as I'm off work for two weeks!
cjmcrbothy

Post by cjmcrbothy »

On the early ferry to Orkney tomorrow where a 50mph breeze doesn't even get acknowledged!