A great club run today (Chippenham Wheelers)

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
jezer

A great club run today (Chippenham Wheelers)

Postby jezer » 9 Nov 2008, 6:29pm

What a ride - only about 45 miles, but stiff headwind most of the time and a good cafe stop at about 75% of the way round. Only three punctures (not me :shock: ). We now have over 400 members, although not all on the ride today as we had our 'cross event on as well. Cyclists in North Wiltshire area come and join us, we cater for everybody! :D
Power to the pedals

Dee Jay

Postby Dee Jay » 9 Nov 2008, 9:21pm

Excellent!

Actually, talking of wind, we were rather astonished yesterday ... when we went into the pub there wasn't a breath of wind, but by the time we'd eaten and and were back on the road we realised that a brisk headwind had come up for us to do battle with! Fortunately, we were also nearly 75% of the way around.
Dee

adinigel

Postby adinigel » 9 Nov 2008, 10:06pm

I used to belong to Swindon Road Club, but hardly cycle at all now apart from some Bikeability training.

Hopefully I will get more opportunity to commute by cycle again soon so will look to rejoin a club.

Why would Chippenham Wheelers be better? Are you more of a social club or do you also have time trialling each week too?

Nigel
DSA registered Driving Instructor, RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Car Instruction, SAFED registered van trainer, National Standards Cycling Instructor

jezer

Postby jezer » 10 Nov 2008, 9:01am

adinigel wrote:I used to belong to Swindon Road Club, but hardly cycle at all now apart from some Bikeability training.

Hopefully I will get more opportunity to commute by cycle again soon so will look to rejoin a club.

Why would Chippenham Wheelers be better? Are you more of a social club or do you also have time trialling each week too?

Nigel

Hi Nigel

Being a large club we are able to cover many areas. We do have a weekly evening TT series in the summer as well as open events, also road races, 'cross, hill climb, etc. We have access to Castle Combe circuit one evening each week for training, this including a TT series for children. We have a strong youth section with training available, (we are also a "go-ride" club). We have a touring section with leisure rides on Saturdays and Sundays. We really do have something for all cyclists!

I used to be a member of Swindon Wheelers in the '80s
Power to the pedals

adinigel

Postby adinigel » 10 Nov 2008, 5:20pm

OK, once I get may fat a**e back in teh saddle I'll check out the club. I will want to get back into trying TT, I was quite chuffed when I broke the 30 minute barrier for a 10 mile tt. OK, OK, nowhere near some of the others, but I was pleased with it - doubt if I would come anywhere near it now! :D

Nigel
DSA registered Driving Instructor, RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Car Instruction, SAFED registered van trainer, National Standards Cycling Instructor