What's your main transport?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.

What's your main mode of transport?

100% pure cyclist (Eco and/or skint)
7%
Cyclist with a bit of public transport and freeloading in other peoples motor vehicles
35%
100% Lorry/car/van driver (but I dream of 'coming out' as a cyclist)
No votes
100% two wheels better than 4 (motorbike and cycle)
4%
50-50
14%
Mostly cyclist
23%
Mostly motor vehicle
11%
other, add it
1%
These boots are made for walking/running.
3%
100% public transport
1%

Total votes: 91

Coffee

What's your main transport?

Post by Coffee »

I've read a few posts that seem to suggest that most people on this forum have a motor vehicle and a cycle.
What is the real CTC forum transport situation?
PW

Post by PW »

Been car free for 28 years, though I top up the pension with a bit of part time bus driving and occasionally hire a car/van for long journeys with a load where ther's no sensible alternative.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

Personal transport situation: I'm mostly cyclist (75-80%). 100% pure cyclist is too much of a sacrifice. It would mean never cycling abroad or getting food for the horse (yes, I have an elderly 0% horse).
Last edited by patricktaylor on 20 Nov 2008, 11:09pm, edited 1 time in total.
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

We have a car but generally it comes out at most once a week when we do other outdoorsy stuff (climbing or kayaking) which you can't easily do on a bike.

Neither of us has ever actually bought a car. This one's the first we've had and it was a gift to my girlfriend from her brother (!).
spiderweb34

Post by spiderweb34 »

I put 50-50.

When I am at uni (24 weeks of the year) I am 100% bike powered (well other than walking).

When at home, I live on a farm 10 miles from the nearest city, 5 from the nearest small town, so sometimes it is just not possible to go by bike. I still believe I do around 50% cycling though, nearing 100% during daylight hours.

So I guess I am saying I have clicked the wrong option :oops: :oops:
redflightuk

Post by redflightuk »

I'd say i am 85% cyclist occasionally i use public transport and the odd trip with friends in their cars. I have a couple of horses but don't go far on them. I manage to do all my shopping and collecting supplies for the horses with my bike and bob trailer. If i need to buy 2 or 3 bags of feed at one time i use my recumbent trike and radical trailer.Image
LIVE2RIDE RIDE2LIVE
ICE QNT Cherry red recumbent trike
KONA BLAST mtb
DAHON MATRIX 07 folder
PACER (horse)
essexman

Post by essexman »

i put 50 50.

But actually i'm 3/3/4 car\ public transport \bike.
I hate snow.
Si

Post by Si »

Depends on the distance/purpose of trip.

Prefer to walk if I can. Else use the bike. But if weather really bad or feeling ill, etc will use public transport. If someone is driving to the same location at the same time I don't mind freeloading (after all it's not putting another car on the road) if it's going to be a real efort to use other options. On the odd occasion of having to carry loads, having to be somewhere at a certain time that's miles from public transport, etc I might borrow a car.
noonoosdad

Post by noonoosdad »

:shock: We own a car and I am quite pleased to say that over the past 2 years I have cut down its use by at least half. It tends to only get used when travelling longer distances and used for doing the weekly shop.
For commuting to work, I cycle and just love it.
In the words of Jacques Cousteau," Il est tout mon cul et Betty Grable !"
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

50/50 as shift work and transporting child and bike alters life rather.
17 miles home at 22.00 hrs, sleep, up, 17 miles back to work for 07.15 start, some nights I wonder if I'd be better off sleeping at work.
But then usually do 6 miles to where car is parked/drive home, and then 17 mile ride in the next day so would lose a precious 23 bike miles if I stayed over at work :lol:

Oh and with starting at 14.00 on the 22.00 finish, the drive to within 6 miles of work is usually early on in the morning so I can get a ride in before arriving at work, so have usually done in the region of 40 miles by the time the day is finished.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Hector's House

Post by Hector's House »

"Cyclist with a bit of public transport and freeloading in other peoples motor vehicles" sums me up!

Sometimes it's impractical to cycle. For instance, I'm going to Newcastle, London and Reading this weekend. Whilst I would love to cycle when I'm within those cities, the thought of lugging it off and on all those trains... it's far more effort than it's worth!

So I only really use public transport when I'm going far away.
Freeloading in other people's cars when it's impractical, and someone is going, eg on a weekend away. :)

In all cases, I would prefer to cycle, no matter the weather.

At any rate, I have no money and licence for a car!
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

eileithyia, your lifestyle is amazing!
peter236uk

re

Post by peter236uk »

I am a 50/50 person I try to cycle as much as possible use the train a bit other that use car.
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

im 100% pure cyclist (Eco and/or skint)

...purely for the money and the enjoyment i get - nothing to do with the environment
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER
Manx Cat

Post by Manx Cat »

Well, I put 50/50, but I do leave the car in the drive a lot more than this usually, I scrounge lifts by him indoors a lot, as we are both in full time employment and have to care for his mum who has severe Altzheilmers we really do need to drive as its such a time saver.

I cycle to work as preference when ever I can, mostly each and every day, cept today when the DN. is making a visit and I have to be there.

CUrrently I shop by car, but only because eldest daugher has a maths lesson and I tie the shopping to that spare hour of total bordom for me.

I want to collect shopping next year when I get a trailer to help with this. Beth sits her GCSE's next summer so maths lessons stop until A levels. Currently the panniers on the cycle are only large enough for the odd cloths shopping trip.. I mostly shop online these days anyway.

Mary