Cyclists revenge, good stories, thoughts etc.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
sloop
Posts: 33
Joined: 13 Jan 2011, 7:36pm

Re: Cyclists revenge, good stories, thoughts etc.

Postby sloop » 5 Aug 2011, 1:01pm

Guy951 wrote:
tincaman wrote:...I grabbed his keys to bin them into the field opposite, he grabbed my hand pushing down at the same time and snapped them off in the ignition. I left him to it with a switched off engine, and 100 metres of traffic behind him.


Disproportionate response, I feel.


Yes, it is. The driver should have been arrested and proscecuted as well. That would have been proportionate to his in-humanity in using his vechile as a weapon and deliberately near-missing a cyclist.

...If he's the sort of idiot who already has irrational prejudices about cyclists you have confirmed said prejudices and probably made him even more dangerous. :roll: And your action has given him good reason to call the rozzers.
Do come back and tell us what happens when they catch up with you...


Thank you for your sarcasm. Perhaps you can come back and tell us the results of any similar incidents you may have (assuming you live to tell the tale).

MartinC
Posts: 1909
Joined: 10 May 2007, 6:31pm
Location: Bredon

Re: Cyclists revenge, good stories, thoughts etc.

Postby MartinC » 5 Aug 2011, 5:08pm

sloop wrote:
Guy951 wrote:
tincaman wrote:...I grabbed his keys to bin them into the field opposite, he grabbed my hand pushing down at the same time and snapped them off in the ignition. I left him to it with a switched off engine, and 100 metres of traffic behind him.


Disproportionate response, I feel.


Yes, it is. The driver should have been arrested and proscecuted as well. That would have been proportionate to his in-humanity in using his vechile as a weapon and deliberately near-missing a cyclist.

...If he's the sort of idiot who already has irrational prejudices about cyclists you have confirmed said prejudices and probably made him even more dangerous. :roll: And your action has given him good reason to call the rozzers.
Do come back and tell us what happens when they catch up with you...


Thank you for your sarcasm. Perhaps you can come back and tell us the results of any similar incidents you may have (assuming you live to tell the tale).


The other side of the coin. It's quite easy to make the case that when someone has deliberately driven a vehicle at you (assault) and put your life in danger then removing the keys from the vehicle is a very proportionate, restrained even, act of self defence.

How one deals with a violent confrontation (e.g having a vehicle driven at you) is a very personal thing and you should only do it the way that's legal and comfortable for you. The contrived objections to someone else doing more assertively one would oneself are a bit sad.

docker164
Posts: 20
Joined: 10 Jan 2010, 4:50pm

Re: Cyclists revenge, good stories, thoughts etc.

Postby docker164 » 7 Aug 2011, 8:19am

in the same vain..i know of a lorry driver who kept a bag of nuts and bolts handy for driverrs who cut him up...by the way he was arrested and charged....

MartinC
Posts: 1909
Joined: 10 May 2007, 6:31pm
Location: Bredon

Re: Cyclists revenge, good stories, thoughts etc.

Postby MartinC » 8 Aug 2011, 2:36pm

docker164 wrote:in the same vain..i know of a lorry driver who kept a bag of nuts and bolts handy for driverrs who cut him up...by the way he was arrested and charged....


..........with having a bag of nuts and bolts?

User avatar
tykeboy2003
Posts: 1134
Joined: 19 Jul 2010, 2:51pm
Location: Swadlincote, South Derbyshire

Automatic Paint Spray

Postby tykeboy2003 » 24 Aug 2011, 9:32am

I reckon you could wire up a distance sensor (car reversing aid maybe) to a can of orange spray paint mounted on the luggage carrier pointing to the right with the sensor set to trigger at say 2 feet so that any motorist squeezing through a gap and not giving you enough room would get an nice orange stripe down the side of the car. The great thing about this would be that they wouldn't even know about it till some time later.

Of course you'd have to have a switch to disable it otherwise you'd be spraying all sorts of things.

User avatar
Audax67
Posts: 4958
Joined: 25 Aug 2011, 9:02am
Location: Alsace, France
Contact:

Re: Cyclists revenge, good stories, thoughts etc.

Postby Audax67 » 27 Aug 2011, 2:10pm

Knew a young American lady who was constantly hassled, in more ways than automotive, when out cycling. Her solution was to ship a .38 upon her dainty hip.

Of course, this doesn't work everywhere...
Have we got time for another cuppa?

mountainman531
Posts: 69
Joined: 13 Mar 2008, 10:17pm

Re: Cyclists revenge, good stories, thoughts etc.

Postby mountainman531 » 7 Sep 2011, 9:32pm

About 8 years ago I was on a fairly busy and wide maion road where everyone was giving me plenty of room when a car came past as close as he could. two young men and two young women in the car and they looked back to see if they had scared me.
I memorised the registration number and about 1/2 an hour later I saw a police motorcyclist coming the other way so I flagged him down. I related my story and being a cyclist himself when off duty he had some empathy with me. He said that as there had not been a collision and there were no independent witnesses there was not a lot he could do but he did a PNC check on the vehicle. I asked for an outcome and when I got home he had left a message on my answering machine. When he phoned the owner's number it was the father who answered and he happened to be a ex traffic policeman and boy was his son due the <inappropriate phrase removed>!

So the moral is don't get mad, get even!

VanDriver
Posts: 112
Joined: 31 Jan 2010, 8:24pm

Re: Cyclists revenge, good stories, thoughts etc.

Postby VanDriver » 8 Sep 2011, 9:42pm

Guy951 wrote:
fiverbag wrote:
fiverbag wrote:...later in the week my friend and his wife took a late night trip to this address and found the car parked in the drive of the address. The contents of a tin of tuna was pushed up under each of the door handles as a nice supprise, super glue into locks, screwdriver in tyres and the centre fold of a Gay interest pornographic magazine was pasted using PVA glue (waterproof, completely transparent and harder to get off than wall paper paste) all over the bonnet. Getaway on silent bicycle.
Justice.


No. Criminal Damage.


They were spat at. Seems a reasonable response.

kevincairns2008
Posts: 62
Joined: 14 Mar 2011, 3:09pm

1

Postby kevincairns2008 » 15 Sep 2011, 4:00pm

1
Last edited by kevincairns2008 on 26 Apr 2013, 4:46pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Si
Moderator
Posts: 15184
Joined: 5 Jan 2007, 7:37pm

Re: Cyclists revenge, good stories, thoughts etc.

Postby Si » 15 Sep 2011, 4:15pm

kevincairns2008 wrote:I find a good airhorn for the cyclepaths of morecambe,I find that some people choose to walk where they like so I get ready close to them and give them a good blast of the air horn to them jump.


and we wonder why so many people hate cyclists :roll:

why do you feel the need to take "revenge" on people who are just walking where they are allowed to walk?

when you are out in a car do you do the same thing to cyclists should they be riding on your road?

Baz8755
Posts: 9
Joined: 27 Jul 2011, 7:51pm

Re: Cyclists revenge, good stories, thoughts etc.

Postby Baz8755 » 16 Sep 2011, 8:56am

Not quite a pedal cycle story but a story when my bike had an engine

I was travelling along the outside of a queue of stationary traffic that was waiting the the lights to change, to my left was solid cars and to my right were some hatchings. As I was passing a one particular car he pulled out and I had to swerve to avoid a collison, I then observed that he was behind me driving on the hatchings.

Now here comes the good bit.
At the traffic lights the road widens to be 2 lanes and just past the lights it narrow back to one, at the head of the queue of traffic waiting for the lights was one of those electrically powered disabled cars. Seeing that the car behind me was not indicating to turn right I knew that he was probably going to go straight on. So as the lights turned green I just rode alongside the disabled car until the road went back to one lane, the poor old ignorant driver therefore had to pull back into the queue of traffic stuck behind it.

I bet he was fuming :D

Nutsey
Posts: 1270
Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 3:31pm

Re: Cyclists revenge, good stories, thoughts etc.

Postby Nutsey » 16 Sep 2011, 2:36pm

This month I've been too busy lolling at the stationary traffic to need any vengeance. Had to pop open one car boot though after this chump deliberately cut me up needlessly, with a red light 50 meters away.

Been considering altering my shoes to have something scratchy on them, but never get round to it. Making the most of my twenties and relying on physical intimidation. Had one incident where a bigger boy got out of his car and I had to scarper. Pick your fights wisely, comrades ! :mrgreen:

User avatar
Audax67
Posts: 4958
Joined: 25 Aug 2011, 9:02am
Location: Alsace, France
Contact:

Re: Cyclists revenge, good stories, thoughts etc.

Postby Audax67 » 18 Sep 2011, 5:56pm

Hee hee ha ha ho ho!

Today the annual Circuit du Kochersberg should have taken place. This is a 75k loop through hilly country west of Strasbourg, with shorter circuits for the less courageous. It usually has several thousand entrants, and is pretty well the last serious event on the local clubs' calendars before winter and gloom shut down on us. It's a tough enough circuit: we try to get round it in 3 hours and usually end up ready for the ICU. The weather usually comes up sunny, too - I've never known it otherwise.

This year the bucolics of the area organized a farming open day in one of the areas we go through. SInce they were expecting 150,000 (!) visitors, the Circuit had to be cancelled for the first time in 44 years.

This year, for the first time, the rain came <inappropriate term removed> down. Oh joy, to think of all those cars trying to park in fields knee-deep in mud, slipping and sliding all over and getting splattered. That'll teach the buggers.

It cleared up enough for a ride this afternoon, but those fields will still be sodden. :P

Schadenfreude ist die schönste Freude - Goethe.
Have we got time for another cuppa?

User avatar
Audax67
Posts: 4958
Joined: 25 Aug 2011, 9:02am
Location: Alsace, France
Contact:

Re: Cyclists revenge, good stories, thoughts etc.

Postby Audax67 » 18 Sep 2011, 6:08pm

Nutsey wrote:This month I've been too busy lolling at the stationary traffic to need any vengeance. Had to pop open one car boot though after this chump deliberately cut me up needlessly, with a red light 50 meters away.

Been considering altering my shoes to have something scratchy on them, but never get round to it. Making the most of my twenties and relying on physical intimidation. Had one incident where a bigger boy got out of his car and I had to scarper. Pick your fights wisely, comrades ! :mrgreen:


You said it. Several years ago I was riding through a local village when a couple of burly but fat blokes carrying a ladder started crossing the road ahead of me. I rang my bell; the rear one of them replied "TING!" and they kept on walking. As I jinked round behind him I uttered the word arschloch, which is a reference in local parlance to an indelicate portion of the anatomy. Loch in German means hole.

The two blokes changed into Le Mans start mode, sprinting across the road and flinging the ladder aside. They then headed for a black Citroën parked off to the side. Yrs trly, being about 35 years older than you and totally unintimidating, stood on the pedals and got the hell out, though I was still in earshot when the car started. Fortunately there was a curve and a fork not far off, and I was able to get out of sight of the junction before they rounded the curve.

I never saw them again, but I damn near killed myself making sure of it.
Have we got time for another cuppa?

Nutsey
Posts: 1270
Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 3:31pm

Re: Cyclists revenge, good stories, thoughts etc.

Postby Nutsey » 19 Sep 2011, 10:17am

Audax67 wrote:
Nutsey wrote:This month I've been too busy lolling at the stationary traffic to need any vengeance. Had to pop open one car boot though after this chump deliberately cut me up needlessly, with a red light 50 meters away.

Been considering altering my shoes to have something scratchy on them, but never get round to it. Making the most of my twenties and relying on physical intimidation. Had one incident where a bigger boy got out of his car and I had to scarper. Pick your fights wisely, comrades ! :mrgreen:


You said it. Several years ago I was riding through a local village when a couple of burly but fat blokes carrying a ladder started crossing the road ahead of me. I rang my bell; the rear one of them replied "TING!" and they kept on walking. As I jinked round behind him I uttered the word arschloch, which is a reference in local parlance to an indelicate portion of the anatomy. Loch in German means hole.

The two blokes changed into Le Mans start mode, sprinting across the road and flinging the ladder aside. They then headed for a black Citroën parked off to the side. Yrs trly, being about 35 years older than you and totally unintimidating, stood on the pedals and got the hell out, though I was still in earshot when the car started. Fortunately there was a curve and a fork not far off, and I was able to get out of sight of the junction before they rounded the curve.

I never saw them again, but I damn near killed myself making sure of it.


Brilliant :mrgreen:

Adds some adrenaline to an otherwise steady exercise :wink:

I managed to nip down a no right turn and escape into the sunset.