Help - I can't hear!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
JQ666

Post by JQ666 »

kwackers wrote:
JQ666 wrote:Seem to be hearing / seeing these sorts of statements in the media more regularly.

Perhaps we're being gradually softened up for some sort of tax / licencing introduction :shock:

I've seen policemen on their bicycles - if they can catch me I'll pay it, until then...

Wonder if they'll have a 'high performance' division, to catch wayward cyclists riding high perf bikes illegally.

retired Olympians, maybe?
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

Paul Power wrote:of course, given the current, and ongoing climate of political correctness, the only ones left to insult/attack/make fun of/berate and blame all ills on are cyclists....

don't forget smokers :wink:
JQ666

Post by JQ666 »

I saw a smoking cyclist today :evil:

Of course, I did my duty and reported this evil excuse for a person!
minkie

Post by minkie »

I'd like to launch a public campaign against actors abusing their their relationships with the media to get airtime to spout about personal hobby horses at tax payer's expense.

Only I don't think I'd get any airtime..............
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

minkie wrote:I'd like to launch a public campaign against actors abusing their their relationships with the media to get airtime to spout about personal hobby horses at tax payer's expense.

Only I don't think I'd get any airtime..............

I'm not sure it is his hobby horse. Doesn't look up to driving or walking so difficult to know at what point his interaction with a bicycle would have occurred.

I reckon he heard a scary story somewhere. Either that or he was briefed. Remember CAKE? (Where's Brass Eye when you need it...)
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

JQ666 wrote:I saw a smoking cyclist today :evil:

it may have been me. to whom did you report them/me, and for what?

presumably they/i wasn't riding & smoking in a public building?
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

Nunbnuts, you are correct.

I agree that we as a "group" are not perfect,but what gives some the right to to keep having a pop' at cyclists?

Luckily, most of the these whingers make no difference at all as nobody takes any notice of them. But every so often, one with a bit of clout' has a go and the portion of the population with limited brain-cells, take is as a rallying call to renew the anti-cycling rant and make our lives more misearable.

If somebody in the media or even just remotely well known,kept having a go at lets say the elderly,disabled,immigrants,faith groups or whatever,there'd be hell-up. But cyclists,that's OK,I mean,everybody hates cyclists don't they?

The media,BBC,newspapers, too many of them are IMO, staffed by immature,poorly educated,bigoted fools.
dmiller

Post by dmiller »

Have a listen to this one as well...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/t ... 788033.stm

I mean - you cant be aggressive in your car can you? The police would hear about it.

You would think so eh?

Bless them - I thought it was a take like the superb Brass Eye "cake" sketch!

Ho hum.

David.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Neil Kinnock says we'd welcome it. That's that cleared up then :roll:
jan19

Post by jan19 »

I don't think taxing/registering will do anything at all, and is a stupid idea, that's why they dropped it from dog ownership. Funny how they never wanted registration from cat owners, or guinnea pigs, or gold fish?

Personally, I think having to have a licence for animals is a very good idea. Might make people think before getting animals on a whim and abandoning them because they don't match the carpet. (yes, that one's true - there was an article by Battersea Dogs Home yesterday on BBC London and that was why one dog was abandoned...)

thank you to everyone who's replied - I could access the clip now as I'm at home but I suspect I'd be better not to ...for the sake of my blood pressure....

Jan

have a nice evening everyone...

:D
JQ666

Post by JQ666 »

hubgearfreak wrote:

it may have been me. to whom did you report them/me, and for what?

presumably they/i wasn't riding & smoking in a public building?

The police, of course.

They took a statement and agreed it was a case of 'careless cycling and breach of the peace'. They sent an Armed Response Team to the very spot I witnessed the hoodlum, but surprisingly he wasn't there any more :?:

The police thanked me for being brave enough to step forward, and assured me that if they'd have made an arrest I'd have been offered witness-protection. :lol:
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

jan19 wrote:Personally, I think having to have a licence for animals is a very good idea. Might make people think before getting animals on a whim and abandoning them because they don't match the carpet. (yes, that one's true - there was an article by Battersea Dogs Home yesterday on BBC London and that was why one dog was abandoned...)

thank you to everyone who's replied - I could access the clip now as I'm at home but I suspect I'd be better not to ...for the sake of my blood pressure....

Jan

have a nice evening everyone...

I assume you weren't old enough to remember when everyone had a dog licence then?
Trouble was they didn't...

The problem with licences is keeping track and enforcement. With cars it's fairly easy since they're pretty much restricted by the infrastructure where they can go.
With bicycles, dogs, cats and hamsters they can go pretty much anywhere which makes it difficult to enforce.
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

Leslie Phillips's 'problem' seems to be fights breaking out between pedestrians and cyclists on the pavement, with the cyclists then making off round the corner and through the red lights leaving the pedestrians with no-one to take to court. This will presumably be resolved when we all have ID cards.

BTW I think my cat should be exempt from having an ID. It has never left the house.
ianr1950

Post by ianr1950 »

Was it his wheels smoking with heavy braking. :wink:
jan19

Post by jan19 »

I assume you weren't old enough to remember when everyone had a dog licence then?
Trouble was they didn't...

thank you for the compliment, but I can remember dog licences. However, as we had a cat I don't think they made a great impression on me.

No, I'm sure lots of people didn't bother with them, and I think they were so cheap it was a bit pointless anyway. I'm really saying (as the owner of three rescued animals) that I'd welcome anything which might make people stop and think seriously before they bought an animal.

Or have a child I suppose. (sorry, don't mean to go into Daily Mail mode)

Jan