commute 10 miles +

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
irc

Postby irc » 9 Jan 2009, 10:27am

10 or 11 miles each way.
3 or 4 times a week.
All year barring icy roads or storm force winds.

grw

Postby grw » 9 Jan 2009, 10:59pm

I'm on a 22 mile each way trip 4-5 times a week.

Quite lucky here as much of my commute is along cycle paths seperate from the road - along side the beach for about 8 miles of it. However, I commute north in the morning often into a northerly wind, which tends to change round about mid aftenoon to a southerly wind, which greets me for the return home. When I rode in the week before last - this happened the opposite way round - which cut about 15 mins each way off my journey.
My route is also fairly flat, which means I can use my fixie and not subject my good bike to the salt from the sea and general crud that comes with regular commuting.
g

AlanD

Postby AlanD » 11 Jan 2009, 4:15pm

Peter,
My journey is about six and a half miles each way. I do it every day if possible, which means at the moment in darkness and in the wet/cold. Exceptions include if the weather makes it unsafe or if I need to do a big shop at the supermarket on the way home, in which case the Citroen comes out. I recently bought a Specialized Tricross for winter/bad weather use (onto which I have fitted mudguards & panniers), saving the Dyna Tech road bike for summer/best. The Specialized is a bit more sluggish on the move at about 40 munites for the journey which takes in a long hill. I'm looking forward to the nicer weather when I can get the Dyna Tech out again; I want to see if all the extra work has made my legs faster.

Alan

EdinburghFixed

Postby EdinburghFixed » 12 Jan 2009, 8:47am

grw wrote:However, I commute north in the morning often into a northerly wind, which tends to change round about mid aftenoon to a southerly wind, which greets me for the return home.

This is what happens to me!

On the way into Fife in the morning, there is often a healthy breeze blowing into my face.

When I come back, ditto!

Not every day but more often than you'd think... the wind must swing around as the day heats up or something. :(

grw

Postby grw » 12 Jan 2009, 9:05am

This is what happens to me!

On the way into Fife in the morning, there is often a healthy breeze blowing into my face.

When I come back, ditto!

Not every day but more often than you'd think... the wind must swing around as the day heats up or something. Sad

You find that no body believes you either? My partner was extremely skeptical and I was labelled as a 'dodgy sympathy seeking whinging pom'. That was until I found the website which posted half hourly weather observations of a couple of places I cycle past en route to work, including wind direction and speed. Now that I'm able to prove what I'm complaining about, I'm no longer labelled as 'dubious'... :roll:

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 12 Jan 2009, 10:05am

It's a fact. Wind changes during the day, especially near the coasts.
This is why I refute the fact that LEJOG is easier than JOGLE because of the winds. It just depends.

I often found myself against the wind into work, and against it back again. I also found that it was raining going in, then a dry day, but raining again going home!

You can't win.
Mick F. Cornwall

rapidfire72

Re: commute 10 miles +

Postby rapidfire72 » 12 Jan 2009, 11:43am

peter236uk wrote:I know we have had this before however I am interested to find how many people cycle to work.

A, in excess of 10 miles each way
B, How many times a week.
C, All Year

A. 5 miles each way.
B. 6 days a week.
C. All year regardless of the weather.

burnsie

Postby burnsie » 12 Jan 2009, 1:30pm

10 miles each way; currently 3-4 times /week. Hoping to get to five times week with view to possibly selling car at some point (almost classic bmw e30 series lux convertible anyone??)...never thought I'd be doing this a year ago!!

Wonderful to see its not only me hampered by wind..acutely aware of how windy this country is since starting regular biking again...but last month or so have been marvellous-at least here on Merseyside..give me a cold but still morning anytime!!

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 14 Jan 2009, 10:09am

A, in excess of 10 miles each way
Pretty much 10 miles exactly...

B, How many times a week.
10, 5 there, 5 back ;-)

C, All Year
Yep - how else am I going to get to work?

Freezing fog this morning was interesting - less fog lights on cars than normal!

Tony1968

Postby Tony1968 » 15 Jan 2009, 1:08pm

Summer;

A) 19 miles each way
B) 5 days a week

Winter;

A) 4 miles each way
B) 5 days a week

The answer to C) is all year round, conditions on the day dictate my choice of station.

kevinn123

Postby kevinn123 » 15 Jan 2009, 1:22pm

18 miles round trip
3 or 4 times a week - depends if I have to do the school run or not
All year - since I started in April last year - I certainly plan too.

TheJollyJimLad

Postby TheJollyJimLad » 15 Jan 2009, 3:10pm

22 mile round trip (27 during summer with a leisurely jaunt through the hills on the way home)
5 days a week
All year. Which is probably why I'm at home laid up with a chest infection (the man version - very deadly :) )

CJ

Postby CJ » 15 Jan 2009, 7:38pm

I think 5 or 6 miles, say half an hour each way, is about the limit for most people. This was confirmed when I put on a Doctor Bike session the other day at a big office locally. None of the bikes I saw came further than that, most only a couple of miles.

I think to spend longer and or ride much harder to go that much further on a twice daily basis, you need to be seriously into cycling in a way that only a tiny minority ever will be, and they're mostly already doing it. So whilst these daily feats are impressive, I don't find them inspirational.

Thanks to an office move I now qualify under A, but I don't want to. Like most people there's more to my life than cycling. So whereas I used to ride the 6 miles twice every single working day, including ice and snow, nowadays I only ride the one, two or three nice days a week. And those days I never seem to get much else done at home.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.

Mansfield Marauder

Postby Mansfield Marauder » 16 Jan 2009, 1:56pm

Depending on weather if it is not freezing or blowing a gale 6 miles + train there and anything between 8 miles + train to the full 16 miles at the moment. During the summer I increase the cycle home to as much as 20 miles along cycle route 6 between Nottingham and Mansfield but do not have time to cycle all the way in in a morning. Started cycling all the way home three days a week in November then came off second week in December and managed to briuse two ribs when I came off on some black ice. I average between 10 and 12 miles an hour to and from work but manage to push that to 13 on lesuire rides, I suspect that compared to you lot I am rather slow but I am working on it.
Mansfield Moon Flea
May all your rides be punctureless

SteveH

Postby SteveH » 17 Jan 2009, 9:32pm

40 mile round trip for me, I work 10 hr shifts so 4 days a week all year round.
Have had to walk up parts of the first hill 'cos run-off froze across the road.
The real challenge of the trip is staying comfortable, too warm on the first hill and the sweat freezes me in the next valley.