can't cycle because of the snow and ice

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
lauriematt

Postby lauriematt » 8 Jan 2009, 9:52am

the last few years ive used the hybrid thro summer & winter...
but last year i picked up a MTB aswell

so after a fair few falls off the hybrid on the ice...ive swithed to the MTB with knobblies until the weather warms up
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER

benoit

Postby benoit » 8 Jan 2009, 1:08pm

Thanks everyone for all the interesting replies.
The sun is out today in Cambridgeshire, so my daily commute will resume tomorrow.. can't wait ;-)

Ben

tb

Postby tb » 8 Jan 2009, 4:43pm

As soon as the weather turns cold enough for ice & snow I am extremely cautious about taking the bike to work.
I had a bad fall about 25 years ago, hit a patch of ice and ended up in hospital with a dislocated shoulder and the worst bit was that I was off the bike for at about a month, so I won't be doing that again in a hurry.

Better to take the train / bus ( or car ) for a couple of days than be off the bike for weeks.

The Macca Show

Postby The Macca Show » 8 Jan 2009, 7:48pm

I've been using a MTB for my daily commute and through the heavy frosts and icy patches we've had here this week, the MTB feels like a tank compared to my usual hybrid. I've not long perfected my ideal cold weather clothing combination following a gift of thermal LJ's from Santa!
http://neilmclennanlejog2009.blogspot.com/

I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

Slowroad

Postby Slowroad » 10 Jan 2009, 9:08pm

Years ago I was out cycling in Newcastle in really icy weather and both tyres went completely flat - when I looked at them they were all split - they had just fallen apart with the cold! Haven't done it since...

AlanD

Postby AlanD » 11 Jan 2009, 5:23pm

Measuring the risk can be a very subjective thing. I took a spill last week as I came out of my driveway; bike and I parted company, I landed on my back and thanks to all the layers of clothing I did'nt feel a thing. Walked bike to main road then continued without incident. Now a bruise would not upset me too much, but if I had a prang in my lovely car I know I would shed loads of tears, cash I cannot afford and probably kick myself all week for going out and wrecking my beautiful car. Of course, I am not elderly and cars can be replaced.
Alan

yakdiver

Postby yakdiver » 11 Jan 2009, 5:50pm

As I only ride for pleasure and the weather is cold I haven't been out on my bike this year, but one of the main reasons is I don't want to hurt myself or the bike