Ideal Cyclists Car

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
CJ

Ideal Cyclists Car

Post by CJ »

I had this email from a member. To aviod having to deal with all the correspondence (from those who would opine that the Ideal Cyclist doesn't have a car), rather than puiblish in Cycle, I thought I'd share it with you here:

I know Chris Juden said he never sought suggestions for the ideal cyclist’s car, but I spent a lot of time earlier this year researching this very topic because I wanted to carry full-size bikes to the start of a ride without having to load them onto the roof or dismantle them to get inside. I toured showrooms with a tape measure and finally chose the ugliest car on the road, the Fiat Doblo. This is essentially a van with windows. But it takes a full size bicycle with ease without removing wheels or anything else. This is what I wanted to achieve and I am not disappointed. I expect it would take two bikes. It is also comparatively cheap, easy to drive and does about 60 mpg. So if you don’t care about style it is just the thing.
ChrisP

Re:Ideal Cyclists Car

Post by ChrisP »

For many years I had a company supplied vehicle. The choice was limited to the average sized estates and I found the Astra best. I can fit my (short wheelbase) tandem inside by removing the front wheel. Some estates have a low internal roof height which prevents the bike standing up. About 34" is OK but 30" is too low. Volvos & Sierras both had low roofs. Look for a car with a "square" rear end and measure the internal length behind the driver at glass level.
Chris
AHB

Post by AHB »

I think you want to check that your van-like car is not a car derived from a light van (but that its van brothers&sisters are derived from it):

The daily telegraph motoring section had a letter from someone whose boxy 'car' was derived from a light van (and hence limited to 50 in 60mph limits). They were driving at 57mph in a 60 limit (feeling well behaved) when a speed camera flashed them for exceeding 50mph their 'car' was officically viewed as limited. The motoring section explained this. I wonder how many transit van drivers know this or do they get registered as a large car?
mbadmin

Post by mbadmin »

See also "Cycle" magazine Mar/Apr 2005 page 52 :o)
CJ

Post by CJ »

Darn, it got in the mag anyway. I await the mail with trepidation!