Car free family

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

paulah

On reflection, I think it was Morecambe. My grandmother took me by train to see the lights. We had a look around town while it was still light and quite a lot of shops were advertising tickets for a sight-seeing flight. When we turned up at the airfield they didn't want to know - the shops knew they should not be selling the tickets at that time in the afternoon and so on. Although she was only about 5 ft even in high heels, my grandmother was built like a battleship but a lot more forceful. Nowadays they call it assertiveness but that was 1954 so I doubt if the word had been invented. Anyway, we got the flight but with a lot of bad grace.

(And my carbon footprint has never been the same :wink: )
ianr1950

Post by ianr1950 »

Tom Richardson wrote:I live in the sticks, over 3 miles from the nearest bus stop, and manage quite well without a car. I could buy a car, or van, or 4wd lorry to chuck my bike in but I would rather ride there and spend my money on something else.

I know that the car/no car thing divides opinions. Most people around where I live can't believe that its possible to survive without a car - although theyve never tried it and most would be in an awful lot better shape if they did.

The local paper is full of people complaining about the difficulties of travelling by car and the situation on the roads, especially morning and evening defies all common sense. Its quicker to walk most places but people have become so car dependant that they can't see anything else. I pity them - I can't think of anything else that promises so much but delivers so little as motor travel.

It all depends on what you mean by managing without a car.

I can get to work without a car by either cycling 25 miles each way every day but this means I have very little time with my family.
I could instead get the bus which in fact means me leaving the house even earlier and getting home even later.
So I have a car but I don't moan about the costs as I quite enjoy my car and the comfort it gives me.

I just don't subscribe to the idea that it is easy and anyone could do it brigade.
ianr1950

Post by ianr1950 »

Tom Richardson wrote:
Neil Fat Man On A Bike wrote:[
The biggest enviromental impact is in the manufacture of the vehicle ( especially so with hybrid vehicles ).

I guess that you got that from the General Motors sponsored propoganda that presumed a Toyota hybrid will only last as long as the 100,000 mile warrantly whereas a Jeep Wrangler, with a 30,000 mile warranty, will last forever. Untrue of course. Both have a massive environmental impact but the hybrid is lower.

That also depends on who and what you want to believe.

I borrowed a toyota hybrid and thought it was awful.
JQ666

Post by JQ666 »

meic wrote:
The reason for targetting SUVs (often incorectly labeled 4x4s) is because of the gratuitous excess of a 5L petrol engined tank to carry little Johny (20Kg) to school in Chelsea. This is such an obvious example of the worst excesses.
The journey could be done in a micra (or even on a bike).

Surely this is a much bigger problem of the majority of resources being concentrated amongst the relative few. That there are a high proportion of 4x4's in Chelsea (how true this is, I don't know), is in itself not going to create an ecological and environmental global disaster.

The bigger picture is that the richest 10% of the world own 85% of global assets, whilst the poorest 50% of the world own 1% (taken from Wikipedia - no idea how accurate these stats are, but they paint a picture of what I'm trying to say). This skewed distribution of resources is the real problem - it means that a sizeable minority of the world's population can drive cars (of all engine sizes), can take multiple air-flights each year, can power all manner of electrical toys, tools, entertainment systems, convenience products, can dispose of and replace possessions rather than fixing them, etc, etc.

But a more even distribution of resources would require us (the 'West') to have less - and we're not going to put up with that - so the problem will continue.

And then, to matters worse, within the rich Western countries there is also a skewed allocation of resoruces, where the richest have so much wealth that they live to different rules (the rules which dictate you can do anything if you can pay for it). This means that it will be Mr & Mrs Average of the Western world who are supposed to respond to and therefore solve climate change - however, in reality Mr & Mrs Average are stuck in a rut, unable to change to any extent.

Our politicians are playing a game. It's not long ago they were telling us that Climate Change was the greatest danger we face today (and don't get me going on pop & rock-stars and their hypocracy!!). Now, apart from increases in VED and fuel duty (not by too much to discourage car use to any great extent, but to actually increase tax revenue for the coffers), and a requirement to provide an energy efficiency assessment when you sell your house, it seems to have been dropped from the agenda.

If only we could now get rid of all the 4x4's that are not used for rural-type / commercial pursuits, and hey-presto, the planet will be saved for our future generations :roll:

The point is, the mega-rich and those in positions of power will not give up their lifestyles. Therefore, the focus will be on the average person who is just getting on with their lives, trying to live within a country that has a certain acceptable standard of living and disjointed government policy. A country where the average family has two working parents (who each year have to work harder and longer to make ends meet) and 2 kids. The reality for a lot of these families is that biking the kids to school is not a realistic option. I'm not saying a 4x4 is the only option, but a car of some sort usually is. And then, once (maybe twice a year), the family wants to escape it all and fly to a foreign country for a well earned rest away from the stress of it all (suitably enticed by a 0% offer on the credit card - designed to make the richer even richer).

So Mr & Mrs average are the villans, and so Mr & Mrs Average will have to keep paying higher and higher taxes. Meanwhile, the richest people in our society, who arguably cause the greatest damage and could arguably change their behaviour the most, pay hardly any taxes (since they claim residency in some tax-haven), get even richer, and pollute even more.

After my car park episode, if I had the cash, I'd buy a 4x4 tomorrow, since if current climate change really is caused by our pollution, then it's not getting solved any time soon, and according to all the 'experts' that were rolled out last week we should get ready for colder winters!!