Rear light positioning

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
EdinburghFixed

Rear light positioning

Post by EdinburghFixed »

As I now have a Carradice saddlebag, I've lost the real estate below my seat.

I currently have my light mounted on the pannier rack, but as that will no longer be used I need to think about an alternative setup.

What do people think about mounting lights on the seat stays? I'm a bit worried that it will be too low down to be effective, and/or that the wheel will obscure it at some angles.

The alternative is possibly to mount it on the mudguard, but I fear it will be too heavy.

What do those of you with saddlebags do?
beachcomber

Post by beachcomber »

My Carradice saddlebag has a loop for fitting an LED. Have you checked there isn't one on your bag? It could be disguised as a logo.

I have fitted a Knog frog light to the back of my helmet. Visible for miles.
£6- £7 each.
Tesco do some cheap LED lights which have velcro straps. Great for helmet fitting or just as a back up light. Only £4.00

I think lights fitted at driver eye level or higher are more visible in traffic and can be seen from further away.

You could always get a high viz waistcoat and sew loops onto it, from which to hang LEDs.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Once upon a time, the rear offside seat stay was a standard position for the rear light - before panniers replaced saddlebags 99% went there - I don't remember anybody worrying about their being obscured, although that does not mean it was not a problem.

When saddlebags with side pockets were the norm and when Ever Ready :( single cell rear lamps were also the norm, some riders clamped the lamp onto the offside pocket strap, where it just dangled, pointing more or less in the right direction. This meant that the light came of with the saddlebag if the bike was going to be used for racing. These lights were very unreliable, so everything was hit and miss anyway. I'd not recommend anything like that with LED lamps because they are so directional.

There has been quite a bit on here about rear lamps that fit a mudguard but if you are fitting your Trinity House model, it probably would be too heavy.
asr

Post by asr »

I have a cheap-ish cat-eye rear light which came with a piece of heavy-duty plastic designed to hold on to a strap (as well as the usual clamp for a seatpost).

So I attach it to the strap (or loop) in the middle of the flap on the saddlebag.
Si

Post by Si »

i bodged a loop onto my saddle bag for the light, that way I never forget to take it off the bike when I leave it locked up somewhere.
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

Thanks guys. I think I might give the offside stay a shot (I don't think the bag will work, it might flop up and laser drivers' eyes).

I guess if it was 'the traditional thing' then it will suit my saddle bag nicely - I've even started thinking about matching brown bar tape :)

PS. I can't believe I never tried a saddlebag before. Panniers are way too big for 95% of my bike trips, but the Barley will carry a lock, bottle of wine, and/or anything else on a 'typical' trip. I even managed to mount it to my saddle with cable-ties... success!
beachcomber

Post by beachcomber »

PS. I can't believe I never tried a saddlebag before. Panniers are way too big for 95% of my bike trips, but the Barley will carry a lock, bottle of wine, and/or anything else on a 'typical' trip. I even managed to mount it to my saddle with cable-ties... success![/quote]

Careful E'fixed, you'll be taking up smoking a pipe next.
"Now where did I put me Old Holborn?"
beachcomber

Post by beachcomber »

By the way E'Fixed have you or do you visit www.fixedgeargallery.com

Many a happy hour spent looking for inspiration. New bikes shown every day.
PW

Post by PW »

There's no rack on my fun bike, so I fitted a pair of Smart 1/2 Watts, one on each seat stay far enough down to be well clear of heels. I run one on constant and the other on flash.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
Si

Post by Si »

beachcomber wrote:By the way E'Fixed have you or do you visit www.fixedgeargallery.com

Many a happy hour spent looking for inspiration. New bikes shown every day.

I used to but can't take it any more.....it just makes me feel depresse about the state of mine, or inspires me to go out and start yet another new project. :wink:
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

I like FGG in the summer, when my bike looks like a nice ride and not a pedestrian rack-and-mudguards affair. At the moment it just hurts!
Coventry Commuter

Post by Coventry Commuter »

I bought a light that fixed to the mudguard in place of the reflector. Most of them are for dynamos but there are one or two on the market that take batteries. I use this as well as a loght on the stay. The only problem with the reflector light is it can be knocked off it you're a bit careless.
random37

Post by random37 »

If you want to have a nod towards period looks, there's this, which I have only seen at Rivendell, but I'm sure you could get it in the UK for less money.[/url]
random37

Post by random37 »

If you want to have a nod towards period looks, there's this, which I have only seen at Rivendell, but I'm sure you could get it in the UK for less money.
661-Pete-oldversion

Post by 661-Pete-oldversion »

A few caveats: the carradice 'barley' sags horribly after a few months of use, especially if empty or only half full. If you don't fit mudguards or a rack it will eventually foul the rear wheel. At least, that's what happened to me and I gave up using it. The loop on the back flap is fine in principle but if the bag is sagging it will point the lamp in the wrong direction. Also some lamps have a nasty habit of popping out of the loop when you least expect it (I've lost lamps that way - another reason).

As regards seat stay mounting: I remember well the Ever-ready 'rearguard' :cry: :cry: :cry: - an old faithful to some no doubt but a pain in the **** for me! Anyone else remember that one? It invariably came with a seat stay mounting. Trouble was, after a few weeks of vibration, the internal contacts would get corroded and then the light would go out - again when you least expected it :twisted: . And, if not fastened on tight enough, it would twist around sometimes and go into the spokes... :roll: