Rucksacks??? commuting with a laptop help

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Design Student

Rucksacks??? commuting with a laptop help

Post by Design Student »

Hi, Does anyone use rucksacks while commuting I need one to carry a laptop and suit jacket. Are there any designed for cycling commuting?

I currently commute with just a standard laptop bag which is not waterproof and cannot fit anything but the laptop!

Does anyone else carry laptops and clothing in with them. What solution works for you. I also carry a suit jacket which always gets creased.

Anyone else?
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

There are laptop pannier bags but these require a pannier rack.

If you do any serious mileage then a pannier rack is very useful. It takes a lot of weight off your body and so you don't suffer numbness in the saddle so much.
dgibby

Post by dgibby »

I carry laptop in a pannier (well packaged) and leave suit jacket(s) in work. Use the car once in a while and when I do I do a wash and swap of all the clothes in the office.
Gisen

Post by Gisen »

Yes, I use a rucksack.

I have a smallish (~40l) daybag (North Face "Big Shot") designed to accommodate a laptop (no laptop in it though) and it's waterproof to any rain or snow. No idea how you would stop the suit jacket from getting creased though - I have to roll up my uniform top to stop it looking like I ironed it with a mess tin, and I don't think that would work for a suit.
Design Student

Post by Design Student »

Hi, Thanks for the info. I dont currently have panniers i may invest in a rack. The North Face bag looks good. thanks
insanityideas

Re: Rucksacks??? commuting with a laptop help

Post by insanityideas »

I carry a laptop in a pannier bag, its a work one so I just sling it in and its survived so far. You can even dry them out if they get "damp", although I usually put it in a carrier bag. I wear shirt and trousers to avoid the suit problem and always roll rather than fold to avoid creases. I have been contemplating the suit jacket issue as I will soon need to take one to work for a one-off, I might do a test run to see what happens. Generally I try and leave stuff at work, and then just bring in clothes as and when to swap them for washing. More of an issue for me is going to hotels that don't have changing facilities, makes going on courses a bit of an buttock.
DougieB

Re: Rucksacks??? commuting with a laptop help

Post by DougieB »

hey,

I have the North Face Bag, which I can give you second-hand if you like?

I 'upgraded' to a Carradice Courier Bag, which is better I think. But it's smaller, so not sure if you'd get laptop + suit jacket.

send me a message if you're interested in the TNF bag.

EDIT: the bag is like new, and the strap is uncut.

cheers,
Doug