Lost camera

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
fausto copy

Lost camera

Postby fausto copy » 8 Mar 2009, 8:58pm

A forlorn hope, but today I lost my Samsung digital camera on a canal-side section of Route 43 between Neath and Briton Ferry. I realsied it was missing arriving in Briton Ferry and returned immediately to the three and a half mile section but no sign. There was also no sign of the fisherman I had passed just before I hit a bump on the track, where the camera was probably dislodged from my saddlebag side pocket.
No, I'm not accusing him or the young lads motor-cycling on the cycle track either but I don't suppose it would have been handed in anywhere would it?
And another no.....it wasn't insured.

Cunobelin

Re: Lost camera

Postby Cunobelin » 8 Mar 2009, 9:37pm

Sorry to hear about this...

A bit late, but all my cameras (and card) have a protected image that contains my mobile number and my email. This way anyone who does find it and is honest can contact you.

Often the difficuty is knowing where to return it and unless you know where it is being handed in (Police locally or at person's home, pub, it is going to be unlikely that you are reunited without such a link to you

hubgearfreak

Postby hubgearfreak » 8 Mar 2009, 10:08pm

Cunobelin wrote:This way anyone who does find it and is honest can contact you.

and is technically competent/curious. if i found a camera, i'd simply hand it in to the police, it wouldn't cross my mind to try and see the images.
it's a good idea though, slightly increasing your chances of a reunion is better than nothing :)

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 8 Mar 2009, 10:38pm

I was always told to do this with film so any lost in processing could be identified, and simply extended it onto the digital cameras.

Personally I would always look at the images in case someone is like minded.......

dmiller

Postby dmiller » 9 Mar 2009, 8:48am

I would check the pictures as well...

But maybe for different reasons! :D

rbrian

Postby rbrian » 9 Mar 2009, 3:44pm

It may be insured under your home contents insurance, it's worth checking. Doesn't get the pictures back though. :(
Cynic? No, an optimist tempered by experience.

Tonyf33

Postby Tonyf33 » 9 Mar 2009, 4:05pm

Sorry for your loss. Best way to recover property like that is to security mark them with your house number & postcode using a UV pen. If in the event the lost item turns up at a local police station they will normally check it under UV lamp & hey presto we have an owner.
I even have my bikes marked though the posh bike is microdotted.

fausto copy

Postby fausto copy » 9 Mar 2009, 6:48pm

Thanks for the tips folks.
I must admit I hadn't thought of what's been mentioned.
I'm more upset about the missing photos really. It was an away-day visit with a friend, who took me up the Swansea valley, over the tops and back down the Neath Valley.
Very picturesque and took quite a few photos on the move, the meeting of the rivers, views down the canal, old steam train at the pit museum and a historic old church.
I suppose we'll just have to back there one day.
If nothing else, a lesson has been learnt!