Have you ever been rear-ended?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
glueman

Re: Have you ever been rear-ended?

Postby glueman » 19 Mar 2009, 12:47pm

Yes twice. Once by an Italian reg caravan - the car skimmed me, the van finished the job - and on a m/bike stationary at a red light when a driver had 'the sun in his eyes' (read: very drunk).
Controversially but sincerely, I reckon a cyclists' highest risk of a back-ender is from the very elderly driver. All my OMG, brush of the fabric passes have been by drivers who appeared to be in their 80s, particularly the sect who've taken an oath never to cross the white line.

Big T

Postby Big T » 19 Mar 2009, 1:27pm

I was hit from behind by a vinatge Rolls Royce, whilst riding a time trial. I got shunted up the road about 10 yards, landing on my side. Wrote off the back wheel. I'd been encircling a roundabout and he came into it too fast to stop and hit me. He gave me a lift back to the HQ and agreed to pay for all the damage.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev

Galaxy-Tourer

Postby Galaxy-Tourer » 24 Mar 2009, 2:49pm

It's happened to me twice, both times on the same roundabout (top of Grapes Hill in Norwich).

1) in front of driver, indicated to go right around roundabout. I sensed he was too close but couldn't get out of his way ... it took him half the roundabout to finally hit me (I suspect he was fiddling with his radio or something - if he'd been looking straight ahead he couldn't have missed my big fat arris filling his windscreen

2) stationary at roundabout, waiting to move. Primary position - slap-bang in middle of driver's windscreen. Can't "not see" me. Driver behind was stationary too, but gets trigger happy and just drives over me. He was extremely apologetic, and said he didn't know what happened ... he'd seen me, he didn't know why he just pulled out. He agreed to settle out of court, but then tried to wriggle out of paying for my hand-built Dawes which suffered a crushing.

Galaxy-Tourer

Postby Galaxy-Tourer » 24 Mar 2009, 2:51pm

glueman wrote: particularly the sect who've taken an oath never to cross the white line.

So that cult does exist outside Norfolk? I thought it was just us. Funny though, they don't hesitate to cross the white line of a BIKE LANE !!!!!!!!! GRRRRRR!

(they have, after all, paid for it out of their ludicrous taxes, so are entitled to drive in it)

Galaxy-Tourer

Postby Galaxy-Tourer » 24 Mar 2009, 2:58pm

EdinburghFixed wrote: riding wider in the road, which forces a driver's mind to treat you as a hazard to negotiate, is so much healthier than riding in the gutter.

... but sadly seems to entitle some drivers to "teach you a lesson" ... by buzzing you at 50/60 mph. It happens to me all the time on the only straight section of road between Hopton and Lowestoft ... the only place a driver can put their foot down, on the back roads.
It is also, ironically, the official East Coast Cycle Route.

paulah

Postby paulah » 7 Apr 2009, 6:03pm

My first time today! Stopped at traffic lights with three or four cars in front and a car wide keep clear area between me and them for a side street. The the traffic to our right stops, our lights haven't changed, but suddenly I move forward a couple of feet as the car behind gives me a helping hand (I think it hit the pannier).

Later in the morning I spot the same car in the office car park.

I don't know the colleague concerned but I'm pretty certain she must have recognised me as I've never seen another woman commuting in the area and the bike is distinctive and prominently parked at worked. So contented myself with the thought that she was probably worrying about the imminent appearance of an irrate colleague at her desk. :lol:
There shall be only one pannier

cheadle hulme

Postby cheadle hulme » 8 Apr 2009, 8:49pm

Once, in Manchester City Centre. Stopped at lights about 5m behind a bus (smelly old Finglands thing). Hear a screech from behind as an old Fiat Punto slithers into me at about 10mph.
He was blinded by the winter sun apparently.

No harm done, I think my old MTB back wheel was stronger than his bumper too!

EdinburghFixed

Postby EdinburghFixed » 9 Apr 2009, 9:13am

Galaxy-Tourer wrote:
EdinburghFixed wrote: riding wider in the road, which forces a driver's mind to treat you as a hazard to negotiate, is so much healthier than riding in the gutter.

... but sadly seems to entitle some drivers to "teach you a lesson" ... by buzzing you at 50/60 mph. It happens to me all the time on the only straight section of road between Hopton and Lowestoft ... the only place a driver can put their foot down, on the back roads.
It is also, ironically, the official East Coast Cycle Route.

Well, I'd rather be deliberately buzzed, since that requires forethought by the driver, than ignored (possibly leading to a collision when they realise too late that there's not enough room).

I really think that driver behaviour depends most on the number of cyclists, and less on them taking offence at any individual's riding style. I ride exactly the same way in the Fife part of my commute, and the Edinburgh part. In Fife the drivers are atrocious but much better in Edinburgh (even though they must be largely the same people, at different stages of their commute).

The only difference I can determine is that I am the only cyclist in Fife, but one of dozens on the earlier part of my commute.

Palinurus

Postby Palinurus » 25 Apr 2009, 1:47pm

Nope. Although once I was riding to work along a short, straight section of national-speed-limit-applies lane when I heard something (not sure what, I don't remember a squealing brake type sound). I looked behind and saw a car coming up behind with smoke coming out of the wheel arches. I sprinted.

I don't think it was even close in the end. The driver sat behind me for ages before overtaking very cautiously and giving me one of those apologetic waves.

Tim Cox

Postby Tim Cox » 28 Apr 2009, 4:30pm

I got hit from behind by a van near Monmouth back in 1980 in the middle of the afternoon. I suffered a fractured skull, back, shoulder and ankle, was unconscious for a week and still suffer from epilepsy. The case the police bought against the van driver, who was over the drink drive limit, was helped by the fact I was wearing bright clothing. Even now I am very conscious of any traffic approaching from behind and make myself as conspicuous as possible. I also wear a helmet though how effective one would have been in that particular situation I do not know.

Greg

Postby Greg » 28 Apr 2009, 9:30pm

Once I was wing mirrored on the A59 by a white van (surprise surprise). It was raining, but this was the last day of a tour so my friends and I were eager to get back to York. We had lights on , and the guy stopped to apologise. We'd had enough after that, though, and got the train back from Harrogate.

Another time, I was hit here. The road narrows for a couple of hundred yards over the bridge and there was rush hour traffic both ways, so I adopted primary. The guy behind in (guess what) an unmarked van, decided that he didn't like this, so tried forcing an undertake, though there was nowhere near enough room. I got a fair clobber on the back wheel and left foot, but stayed on the bike, which was lucky as I didn't want to go into the oncoming traffic! He shouted something as he passed, and to be honest, he looked like a pretty disgusting character through the window. Thankfully, I got the plate and reported him to the police, who said they'd trace him and have a word.