First try on clipless pedals

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
emergency_pants

First try on clipless pedals

Post by emergency_pants »

Just around the block a few times so far but WOW!They so much easier to use than I had imagined! I've always sworn by my strapless 1/2 clips and recently I swapped them for full clips and straps - what a hassle fumbling around trying to get my feet in! First time out on the SPDs and I'm clipped in and going within a second! Yay! Pedalling feels quite nice as I can kind of feel/control the circular motion much more, rather than the left-right-left, push-push-push of regular pedals. I wonder how it feels going up hills? I Will try later. The other nice thing I didn't previously realise is that the float helps alot - my feel don't feel as locked in place as I imagined they would!

I find twisting inwards seems to unclip much easier than outwards and much easier when the pedal is low and not high.

Got these M520 from Merlin for £20 and with my Lidl shoes I'm set up now! Quite pleased so far - though I may go more quiet once I've fallen over at a set of busy lights! :oops: :lol:

Even though the cleats are recessed, I am still clip-clopping around. Does that damage the cleat when walking on concrete surfaces or is that normal wear and tear? Note to self: *must take shoes off before going into house and trampling around on the lovely shiny oak floor*

Anyway - just wanted to share that. :roll:
Branthwaite

Re: First try on clipless pedals

Post by Branthwaite »

If you are young then you may be unaffected by the twisting on the Knees
but if you get any pain in the knees going up stairs this is entirely due to cleats

this is exacerbated by loose cleats, loose shoes and the position of the cleat on the shoe
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

emergency_pants wrote:Even though the cleats are recessed, I am still clip-clopping around. Does that damage the cleat when walking on concrete surfaces or is that normal wear and tear? Note to self: *must take shoes off before going into house and trampling around on the lovely shiny oak floor*

It will take a very long time to wear the metal of the SPD cleat away, even if they do clip-clop... the working surface is closest to your shoe so even quite noticeable wear may not make much difference. I have replaced mine roughly annually I think for the last few years.

Branthwaite wrote:this is exacerbated by loose cleats, loose shoes and the position of the cleat on the shoe

I'm not sure I follow the looseness argument - isn't the whole point that cleats are better than straps precisely because they allow your foot to rotate so freely on the pedal?

I agree that the position does make a big difference, though. I have recently tweaked my left shoe (cleat forward and towards the instep) and this has helped to resolve a niggling knee pain.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

They are awesome :)

I seem to have voided falling over at lights, and am now well over 1000 miles into my first set of cleats. When I had a front disc brake (necessitated new fork and whhel as well) fitted I got a courtesy bike with pedals and nearly fell off that several times (instinctively pulled up with my feet and lost the pedals totally... :oops:
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I've decided to give up (at least temporarily) on both clips and straps. They make absolutely bog all difference to my commute and contrary to expectations my feet aren't always falling off the pedals plus I really enjoy the freedom my feet now have! I can shift them back and forth, rotate them in and out - bliss...

If anything I'm now going faster - but I'll put that down to prevailing wind...
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

If you are using Shimano cleats, there is approximately 5 degrees of float.to test whether they are set right, ride for a short distance then wiggle your heel from side to side(Not enough to dis-engage) , If your foot whilst riding was approximately inthe middle of the float then you have it right. the fore and aft postion is a matter of persoanl choice, but as starter the pedal spindle should align with the ball of the foot. Moving forward of this suits racing but is not as comfortable furtherback of centre may be more comfortable but reduces power. Note both difference are marginal.
NUKe

Post by emergency_pants »

kwackers wrote:I've decided to give up (at least temporarily) on both clips and straps. They make absolutely bog all difference to my commute and contrary to expectations my feet aren't always falling off the pedals plus I really enjoy the freedom my feet now have! I can shift them back and forth, rotate them in and out - bliss...

It's one of the reasons why I haven't bothered for so long and you know, once the novelty has worn off, I might not like it in the long term. But for now, the new sensation of pedalling is quite cool. 8)

Knee pain is something I've read about several times and I'll see how that goes. My feet do naturally point inwards ever so slightly when pedalling and I notice that with the cleats, my feet are able to assume the same position - but I'll do that trick you mention, NUKe, and see whether I need to reposition them.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Be a bit wary of turning your heel in to release.
It's possible to put it into the rear spokes.
(how do I know? don't ask. :oops: )
You'll never know if you don't try it.
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

cycleruk wrote:Be a bit wary of turning your heel in to release.

I have lost spokes doing this! :?
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

Good to hear Emergency Pants!

I delayed getting clipless for ages, concerned at stories of falling over, knee problems etc. Eventually took the plunge, encouraged by a friendly bike shop often visited on holiday (Tavistock Cycles - respect) and have had no problems whatsoever. My SPDs are excellent. I have the same pedals as you.

I haven't fallen off once, although did have a couple of near misses - once in front of the neighbour which was potentially quite embarrassing. Any problems have been due to my lack of attention rather than the mechanism. After a few miles it all rapidly became second nature.

A few thousand miles on, no knee problems yet.
grw

Post by grw »

[quote="emergency_pants"]

Even though the cleats are recessed, I am still clip-clopping around. Does that damage the cleat when walking on concrete surfaces or is that normal wear and tear? Note to self: *must take shoes off before going into house and trampling around on the lovely shiny oak floor*
quote]
I bought my first pair of clipless pedals and shoes in 2001. I'm still using the same set of cleats. (I still have the original pair of pedals used on my fixed wheel and the getting in and out is a tiny bit more difficult with the left foot than on my more recently purchased pair of peddles (2004)).
I used the shoes for cycling to work, leisure cycling, touring and mountain biking. With just the touring, I reckon I've done around 15,000km with the same cleats. Mountain biking in rocky areas for a weekend every couuple of months for 7 years doesn't seem to have harmed them other than a few deep scratches.
However, that said, I have a fairly shocking approach to maintenance. If it isn't stopping the bike from moving, don't fiddle with it.
g
edit - appalling spelling
ris

Post by ris »

cycleruk wrote:Be a bit wary of turning your heel in to release.

+1 to this - while it might seem easier to unclip inwards when the springs are still tight i don't think i'd want to make it a habit. unclipping outwards would minimise the risk of accidentally catching the wheels and going for a spectacular burton.

personally i found unclipping easier at the top of the pedal stroke and with my toes slightly pointed down at first (but i am using spd-sl's and might have my bike set up very different to you in terms of seat height, position etc). now the springs are looser i can unclip much more easily.
FatBat

Post by FatBat »

emergency_pants wrote:Even though the cleats are recessed, I am still clip-clopping around. Does that damage the cleat when walking on concrete surfaces or is that normal wear and tear? Note to self: *must take shoes off before going into house and trampling around on the lovely shiny oak floor*

I've managed to wear my cleats down so much that I've no chance of ever undoing the bolts - probably from walking around in the SPD shoes. I did install the cleats in 1997, however.