Do you wear a helmet?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.

Do you wear a helmet when cycling?

Poll ended at 22 Apr 2009, 9:33pm

1. Yes I wear one at all times.
42%
2. I wear one sometimes.
24%
3. I never wear one.
34%

Total votes: 119

Neil Fat Man On A Bike

Do you wear a helmet?

Post by Neil Fat Man On A Bike »

I never used to wear a helmet when I cycled as a teenager ( unless it was compulsary in a race ).
Since getting back into cycling I always wear one off road on the mountain bike( after having a nasty tumble without one ).
I normally wear one when road cycling too, until yesterday where I left the house and only noticed I didn't have it on after a mile or so. It was ace. It felt so free. Like cycling really should be. I liked it so much I didn't bother tonight either. It was fantastic. ( good weather the past two days may well have been the biggest influence).
I dont think I'll discard it alltogeather though. I use a MTB helmet that has a peak that's really good at keeping the rain off my glasses. It also has a mounting point for my AY-UP lights too.
So, I was just wondering what do all you guys do ?
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Do you wear a helmet?

Post by Mick F »

Yes.

I wear one every time I'm out. This is from pressure I get from all sides. Personally, if no-one got at me, I wouldn't wear one, but I actually don't mind wearing one.
Mick F. Cornwall
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

I wear one every time.

Started when my then girlfriend encouraged me to wear one lest I ever spoilt my good looks. :lol:

However I totally support the CTC line of personal choice on the matter.

I have had one bad fall that dented/broke the helmet, and my face had a pizza effect for a week or so. Guess it may have been worse without the helmet, but who knows for sure? Nevertheless I'll keep wearing a helmet.
Neil Fat Man On A Bike

Post by Neil Fat Man On A Bike »

Yes I get quite a bit of pressure from the wife to wear mine too :wink:
PW

Post by PW »

Never have, and no intention of starting, regardless of anyone else's opinion.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

Always have, and no intention of stopping, regardless of anyone else's opinion.

Once it's on, I never notice it or do anything differently. As with the gloves and padded bib shorts and protective spectacles. Good looks are non-existent in my case.
ian

Post by ian »

I have always worn one (and coming from NZ for the most part I was required to), and that means for decades.

Just this week I've decided I am no longer going to do so.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I wear one for my commute or rides, but don't bother when nipping out to the shops etc - it's just one more thing to lug around and I just want to lock the bike off, take the clips off my trousers and walk around.
FatBat

Post by FatBat »

In the past few years I've worn a helmet three times - once when going Coasteering, once when going HotDogging and a couple of weeks ago when going into a cave. Never worn one whilst on a bike, though.
vandatubes1966

Post by vandatubes1966 »

Many years I never used a helmet and I had cycled through various European nations and felt very connected with freedom.

However, today being a parent and a ' role model ' I advocate the use of helmets for all cyclist.

My wife had a recent fall from her bike whilst a standstill (Yeah I know) but in defence she was carrying our 6 yr old on the kiddy seat at the back.

She went to sling her leg over to get off and caught the sole of her shoe on the t/tube and with front wheel moving away at a 90 degree angle with the extra weight of little 'un she took a tumble.

The helmet took the full force and saved her ' swede ' from a nasty bang.

I do believe in freedom of choice and resent the nanny state sticking in its nose in.

However,the choice between walking away from an accident or going to hospital with a cracked 'nut' and getting MSRA what would you prefer.

A bonce intact or a cracked one with a dollop of MRSA on top.

Oh yeah a that crappy hospital food thats enough to get your head in a tizz without the damge ' top knot '.

Nevertheless, safe cycling, be good to your bonce and your bonce will be good to you, keep it real :D
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

I wear mine sometimes.

I've been trying to learn to mountainbike since xmas and usually take at least one tumble per session - I have elbow pads, knee/shin pads and the helmet to make this slightly less painful!

Otherwise, I like to go without a helmet whenever I can get away with it. My girlfriend is a rabid pro-helmetarian and as yet I haven't been able to work her around - I also need the helmet to mount my Ay-Up lights and helmet cam.

But it is *so* much more pleasant to ride without a helmet, that I can hardly put it in words. I'd rather cycle bare-headed in the rain than helmeted on a sunny day, and I do *not* like riding in the rain :D
benm

Post by benm »

Never used to wear one... however to prevent ear pain from the other half I started wearing many years ago.... I then took a very nasty low speed tumble on ice and the helmet prevented what turned out to be two stitches in my eye socket and a chipped skull being a glass eye...

So now I am firmly in the "always wear one and am never going to change regardless of what other people say" camp :D however it is down to the individual to make their own risk assessment and take an appropriate course of action ;)

B.
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

Why don't you wear contacts instead? Since a helmet only prevents a small minority of facial wounds, there's still a good chance that your glasses could be pounded into your eye...

I never understand why my girlfriend is happy to ride with glasses on, but not bareheaded. Both or neither I can understand, but to mix and match is a suspicious stance on risk.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

I used to wear one all the time largely to convince the kids to wear theirs. I've slipped this year largely due to the fact I always doubted they make much difference, and the kids will wear theirs regardless of whether I am wearing mine or not. The exception being when I group ride, and low speed tumbles are possible because of wheel touches, I wear one for off roading for similar reasons, your more likely to take low speed tumbles and a helmet could help.
NUKe

Post by meic »

With constant talk of compulsion, I want to make the most of my freedom to ride without while I still can. :D
When I have to wear one, I can use it to keep a small collection of toys in. Like MP3, radio and LED head and tail lights.
Then I can tell my grandchildren about the good old days when men were real men who did not wear helmets from birth to death and some even cycled without them. :lol:
Yma o Hyd