The Silliest Comment You've Had...

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
cycle cat

The Silliest Comment You've Had...

Post by cycle cat »

Is it just me, or does everyone get daft comments whilst cycling?

Today I was cycling about 100 yards behind my husband. It was a bit too windy for me to catch him up.
I passed a garage with a grey haired bloke sitting on a stool watching the world go by.
"You'd better work harder to catch him moi dear" he said.

I do get quite a few comments about catching up my husband, unless I'm on his back wheel or overtaking on a hill.

I've also had "blazing saddles" yelled out of a car window at me.

What's the silliest thing someone's shouted at you?
I suppose we're easy targets on bikes. Do people shout weird things at pedestrians?

Cycle Cat.
Thank goodness for soup.
Quicksilver

Re: The Silliest Comment You've Had...

Post by Quicksilver »

I don't know about the silliest comment but by far the most common is "she's not pedalling" when riding as stoker on a tandem. I was once accosted by a desperate car salesman when riding past a Fiat garage. Only if my bike will fit inside, I said. So he dismantled the inside of the latest model and tried to get it in. It didn't fit.
Beakyboy

Post by Beakyboy »

Don't know why but usually people shout after me "oi you!" and "stop thief!" :lol:
May the wind always be at your rear!
jan19

Post by jan19 »

"Did you know your tyre's flat"....?

Had that more than once. Think I might just have noticed....

Jan :D
paulah

Post by paulah »

while I was waiting on a cycle path at a toucan crossing (actually, a few times at the same crossing):-

"Get on the {rude word} road"

after braking, skidding and hitting the ground side-on when a pedestrian turned and stepped out in front of me:-

"you should have just braked"

ah, that's where I went wrong
There shall be only one pannier
unknown

Post by unknown »

"Hell, he's got a light on his head"
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Have probably heard them all before so tend to find them very tedious and unoriginal but it pleases the tiny minds of those that shout them; am probably showing my age with some

Can you ride tandem
Nice legs.....
Your back wheel's following the front :?: :idea:
He's not pedalling (Andrew on the tandem)
Your tyre's flat at the bottom (oh that's ok then only at the bottom)
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Neil Fat Man On A Bike

Post by Neil Fat Man On A Bike »

I had a chorus of "bicycle, bicycle, I want to ride my bicycle....."etc from a group of girls outside a pub.
I was quite delighted. :D
worthers

Post by worthers »

I've haven't had many comments when I've been out biking, but when I unicycle to work the spiel is non-stop! Everyone's a joker!

"You've lost half your bike!"
"Let's see you do a wheelie mate!"
"Look - no hands!"
"Half price bike was it?"

:roll:
Si

Post by Si »

Quicksilver wrote:I don't know about the silliest comment but by far the most common is "she's not pedalling" when riding as stoker on a tandem.

Yep, the scourge of tandeming. I can now even detect the little shimmy from the bike as Mrs Si tenses up whenever some bright spark comes out this this original line.

But the balance it out, we do get into conversations with older couples who tell us about how they did their courting on a tandem, which is nice.

The one that tickled me was shouted at a club mate while he was on his 'bent: "Oi, look, he's on a lazy bloke's bike".
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I was climbing a hill out of Ivybridge a few weeks ago, when an elderly chap called over, "It's uphill all the way to the top!"

"Thanks!" I grinned, sweating and straining .....
Mick F. Cornwall
cjchambers

Post by cjchambers »

My favourite is:

"Your wheels are going 'round!" (accompanied by lots of frantic pointing at the wheels)
2Tubs

Post by 2Tubs »

Silliest comment I’ve heard recently . . .

“I’ve done nothing wrong” - Geoff Hoon.

Or on a cycling theme . . .

Discussing cycle commuting with a car dependant relative: -

“What do you do when it rains?”

Well obviously, I get wet. But I was a little more polite and added that I get even wetter when I take a shower following the commute.

Gazza
Why not Look at Sheila's Wheelers E2E Journal
Or My Personal Site
Or My Tweets
Whatever you do, buy fair trade.
And smile.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I was stopped at the side of the road once when some goons slowed down and one wound his window down and stuck his head out to shout something. Unfortunately we made eye contact and his limited processing power made him forget what it was he was going to shout, so obviously he very quickly had to improvise and my bicycle provided him with the answer in large letters.

As he went past he shouted 'Marin!' and then chuckled as they booted it off up the road. At least he can read...
Si

Post by Si »

As he went past he shouted 'Marin!' and then chuckled as they booted it off up the road. At least he can read...

that reminds me. there were some lads on BMXs in the park as I rode through who asked me if I had a box spanner as I rode past. So I stopped and lent them one, while one of them was resetting his front wheel they started looking at my bike. the bike was my old Marin commuter which was covered in tape and stickers as well as having grey paint/rust inhibitor dribbled all over it: you know the normal steps that you take to uglify a hack bike that is left outside in a high crime area.

One kid said "that bike's a bit of a mess"
To which a more knowledgeable one replied: "No, that's a Marin, they are good bikes, I'd pinch it if I had the chance!"

I wasn't quite sure how to take that: it was certainly a compliment but......... :?