My pride and joy..

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
neilob

My pride and joy..

Postby neilob » 15 Apr 2009, 9:29am

With the weather improving, I have put my winter commuter away and started to use my much-loved Thorn Nomad for the 30 mile round trip to the office. This changeover is a sign of summer for me and this morning I was riding to beat my average schedule (old habits die hard). I caught up a guy on a road bike - thin tyres, drop bars, big gears, bright coloured lycra....you get the picture - and as I was passing he looked across at my straight-barred Thorn with mudguards, racks and a single pannier and suggested I may make a cyclist if I get a proper bike. No, he wasn't joking!
Neil
Using a car to take an adult on a three mile journey is the same as using an atomic bomb to kill a canary.

vorsprung

Re: My pride and joy..

Postby vorsprung » 15 Apr 2009, 3:28pm

neilob wrote:.... and suggested I may make a cyclist if I get a proper bike. No, he wasn't joking!
Neil

They do look a bit industrial though

neilob

Postby neilob » 15 Apr 2009, 4:00pm

ouch!!
Using a car to take an adult on a three mile journey is the same as using an atomic bomb to kill a canary.

cycleruk

Postby cycleruk » 15 Apr 2009, 5:05pm

One pannier. :shock:
NO WONDER :mrgreen:
You'll never know if you don't try it.

tonym1959

Postby tonym1959 » 15 Apr 2009, 8:54pm

neilob wrote: suggested I may make a cyclist if I get a proper bike.

Contender for the The Silliest Comment You've Had...thread?

hamster

Postby hamster » 16 Apr 2009, 9:19am

Yes, and he might make an adult if he got some courtesy.... :roll:

I had some guy on a road bike call me a tosser as I was riding slowly on my Litespeed and told me to get fit.
I chased him down and informed him that I had just had a year's chemotherapy and was trying to do exactly that...

neilob

Postby neilob » 16 Apr 2009, 10:02am

Life is too short to make this a crusade, but my disappointment is that there are only two types of bike recognised by most; road (racing) and MTB. It doesn't matter whether our bikes cost £5 or £1500, or we can ride hundreds of miles a week, there is no acknowledgement like there used to be. I can remember (now I'm sounding like my dad!) when anyone on a bike got a wave and a cheery greeting. Nowadays it's common to be ignored by a racing club out training just becauuse we aren't of their tribe. Sad.
Neil

byegad

Postby byegad » 16 Apr 2009, 10:12am

Thankfully it's not the same where I live.

I was sat half way up a hill on my recumbent trike yesterday, enjoying the bird song and view when a group on touring bikes rode by and asked me if I was OK or did I need assistance. When I said 'No thanks I'm fine.' they rode on up the hill commenting to each other that you don't see many recumbents about. Two minutes later a pair of roadies complete with Team colours Lycra came down the hill and slowed to ask the same.

Ten minutes later I caught the first group on the next down slope and they slowed me down to ask about the trike. No bias, just interest and concern for a fellow pedaller from both groups.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine

Beakyboy

Postby Beakyboy » 17 Apr 2009, 6:00pm

It too is not the same here. We say hello to everyone and vice versa. If i see a cyclist stopped by the side of the road, I always stop and offer assistance (regardless of type of bike) whether I'm on the bike or in the car.

However, if they only had one pannier then that's a totally different story..................!
May the wind always be at your rear!

downfader

Postby downfader » 18 Apr 2009, 4:51pm

hamster wrote:Yes, and he might make an adult if he got some courtesy.... :roll:

I had some guy on a road bike call me a tosser as I was riding slowly on my Litespeed and told me to get fit.
I chased him down and informed him that I had just had a year's chemotherapy and was trying to do exactly that...

:shock:

Now you see I'm often impressed when I manage to overtake another cyclist, lol! But then I start to wonder how many more miles they might have done?

bigjim

Postby bigjim » 21 Apr 2009, 6:27pm

A lot of cyclists are miserable gits. This morning on a quiet country lane old guy on a racer approached me from the opposite direction. He got a cheerful Hi from me. Nothing. Not even a glimmer, just a look of incomprehension. A nod would have done. So I shouted my usual "suit yourself" and carried on. When out on the motorbike I always get a nod off other bikers. Weird.

whoops

Postby whoops » 21 Apr 2009, 7:00pm

It's called Elitism.

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 21 Apr 2009, 9:20pm

If (Insert chosen Deity here) had intended single panniers he would not have made double sided racks!

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 21 Apr 2009, 9:23pm

vorsprung wrote:
neilob wrote:.... and suggested I may make a cyclist if I get a proper bike. No, he wasn't joking!
Neil

They do look a bit industrial though

I have broken several frames including my Airnimal and Trice, so when I wanted a touring bike that was goint to last me for many years I wanted something solid, reliable and unbreakable. The Thorn is all of these - it may be "industrial", but it is exactly what I wanted!

gilesjuk

Postby gilesjuk » 21 Apr 2009, 10:04pm

Single pannier is fine, why carry two half full bags when you only need one?

You have two arms but you wouldn't carry two suitcases if you only needed one.

My commuting bike is a bit quirky, but most people say hello. I guess this is because I'm not in a big city and seeing a cyclist is an event. I'm generally going at a decent pace, only the people riding on their expensive racing bikes tend to be going faster, they're much lighter and they have gears.

I don't use drop bars either, they're less safe in an urban setting if you're lower down and can't see as well. I think this is something that snobby riders pick up on, they think you should be using drops.

Having one gear and riding fixed probably confuses them too.