My pride and joy..

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
DaveP

Re: My pride and joy..

Postby DaveP » 22 Apr 2009, 12:12am

Cunobelin wrote:If (Insert chosen Deity here) had intended single panniers he would not have made double sided racks!

I recently found myself with no choice but to do the entire weekly shop on the bike. At one point I was riding happily along with one pannier full of potatoes etc. and the other packed with bread, wondering how many two pannier people are secret assymetrists :lol:
Surely you dont weigh everything.
Do you? :shock:

I seem to have noticed a drop in greeting rates since the weather improved and I stopped wearing my hi vis waterproof. The fleece that replaced it appears to be non-U!
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!

EdinburghFixed

Postby EdinburghFixed » 23 Apr 2009, 1:47pm

DaveP wrote:I seem to have noticed a drop in greeting rates since the weather improved and I stopped wearing my hi vis waterproof. The fleece that replaced it appears to be non-U!

You're probably being shunned for daring to step outside the Culture of Fear™. On my Easter ride up through Bristol to Kendal you would not believe the number of cyclists I saw, hunched up in their high-viz and helmets - few of whom looked that pleased to see a smiling, normal looking rider whizzing by!

Nobody actually asked me why I wasn't 'dressed for combat' but I thought a couple might.

In some places I hear you can't even take your mudguards off for summer without risking a dirty glare...

Edwards

Postby Edwards » 24 Apr 2009, 10:16am

A reply similar to "never mind one day you will get a proper bike not a toy son". Would make you feel better.
Not that it would do much good. Some type of rider think others should look up to and listen to them.
In reality a lot of people think they are fools who need to learn a few manners.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar

kevinn123

Postby kevinn123 » 24 Apr 2009, 12:14pm

by bigjim » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:27 pm

A lot of cyclists are miserable gits. This morning on a quiet country lane old guy on a racer approached me from the opposite direction. He got a cheerful Hi from me. Nothing. Not even a glimmer, just a look of incomprehension. A nod would have done. So I shouted my usual "suit yourself" and carried on. When out on the motorbike I always get a nod off other bikers. Weird.

I think it's society in general - people are too caught up in their own little world to acknowledge others. When I pull over in the car to let others out fewer people give a wave of thanks. Even when I am out running - when you would of thought it harder to ignore someone else - more people run on by with a return nod or wave.

EdinburghFixed

Postby EdinburghFixed » 24 Apr 2009, 1:58pm

kevinn123 wrote:I think it's society in general - people are too caught up in their own little world to acknowledge others. When I pull over in the car to let others out fewer people give a wave of thanks. Even when I am out running - when you would of thought it harder to ignore someone else - more people run on by with a return nod or wave.

If someone lets me out, I will wave thanks to them... but I don't go around waving to everybody I see.

I mean, next time you're walking along your local high street, try greeting people you're otherwise not interacting with..? :?