I DID NOT HEAR YOU

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
frank

I DID NOT HEAR YOU

Postby frank » 2 May 2009, 12:36pm

I was doing 20 m p h in a bike lane when a young lad stepped out in front of me. I did not have no chance of avoiding him. We both ended up flat on the ground both of us were bruised but got awat lightly with our injuries.
I asked the lad why he did not look he said i was listening for traffic i did not hear you.
How many accidents are these electric cars going to cause if people are only listening for traffic and not looking before they step on to the road.
I know as a cyclist around 50% of my riding and manouvering on the road relies on hearing cars.

gilesjuk

Re: I DID NOT HEAR YOU

Postby gilesjuk » 2 May 2009, 4:06pm

Indeed. A revival of stop, *look* listen would be useful.

Si

Postby Si » 2 May 2009, 4:20pm

I think, with the introductin of electric cars, after an initial spate of collisions, and assuming that the govt don't make electric cars have bells and whistles fitted, that it will become safer for cyclists because people will be more used to looking rather than just listening.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 2 May 2009, 4:42pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/275 ... isier.html

(There a lot more like that where it came from google pedestrian safety electric vehicles)

Wildduck

Postby Wildduck » 2 May 2009, 8:38pm

Perhaps a man with a red flag in front?
Trice Q 2007 in inky blue (Quackers)
Bacchetta Corsa 26 ATT (The Mad Weeble)
Cube SL Team Cross (Rubberduckzilla)
Homebaked tourer (The Duck's Dream)
MTB mongrel (Harold the Flying Sheep)

Manx Cat

Postby Manx Cat » 3 May 2009, 9:36am

Glad neither of you were badly hurt.

I think this sort of 'jay walking' incident occurs to me at least 2-3 times a month. But its those, sudden changes of pedestrian directions when they dont check the road, or worse are listening to loud music in their ears.

Here on the IoM we are preparing for our 2009 TT Motor BIke festival, it starts first 2 weeks of June, and this year, they have the first electric motor bike race on the TT circuit. I shall watch this with great interest. Firstly, how fast a battery run machine will be able to go at, and secondly how they will sound at such speeds as well. They are just doing one circuit. Hubby doesnt think they will last the distance 37 miles.

Mary

random37

Postby random37 » 3 May 2009, 2:42pm

I think most teenage boys they tend not to look where they're going. Teenagers in general have terrible road sense.

glueman

Postby glueman » 3 May 2009, 3:25pm

Makes you wonder how they survive. Cross a third of the road before looking is more the norm than the exception among many pedestrians. They assume it's negotiable pavement up to that point. They often step out then walk in the same direction as the rider if a path is busy without looking. I usually swerve back straight in front of them as they jump out of their skin with a look of 'How on earth...?'

I use the primary position x10 for pedestrians for each car occasion.

Greybeard

Postby Greybeard » 3 May 2009, 4:43pm

How many folk have fallen victim to, or had near misses with, the young mum with the 'traffic flow detector' :?: :wink: - this usually takes the form of a wheeled apparatus made by Silver Cross or a similar company. It's instructions for use must suggest that it be thrust out into the carriageway and if it does not then move violently to the left or accumulate a further, much larger occupant (or their cycle), it is safe to continue :shock: .

Steve :roll:

gilesjuk

Postby gilesjuk » 3 May 2009, 5:08pm

There's no road safety adverts aimed at child or adult pedestrians these days, all the emphasis is on the driver.

I've not seen a road safety video other than the Think Bike adverts for sometime.

paulah

Postby paulah » 3 May 2009, 6:49pm

The government could throw money at 24hr road safety campaigns but it won't make any difference so long as children are getting ferried everywhere in cars instead of being walked to school. They need the practical experience drummed into them when they're young and impressionable.
There shall be only one pannier

rower40

Postby rower40 » 3 May 2009, 10:34pm

A year or two ago, I was turning left at a traffic-light-controlled junction, and, (therefore by definition), my light was green. So the pedestrian crossing the road that I was turning in to was confronted with a RED light. I'd realised he'd stepped out without looking, so I changed course to go behind him. After two metres or so, he had a crisis of confidence, and finally looked round, saw the bus behind me that was making the same turn as me, and jumped BACKWARDS into my path.

I now treat green lights, and green arrows, the way the Highway Code states: "If the way is clear you may go but only in the direction shown by the arrow."
"Little Green Men Are Everywhere... ...But Mostly On Traffic Lights."

Biscuit

Postby Biscuit » 4 May 2009, 8:46pm

Try a little 'feature six' in the old style advanced motoring system i.e. the audible warning of approach be that bell or AirZound. Treat all ped's etc as potential step outs and when your road position is not protecting you ting away merrily and 'expect the unexpected' or the expected and ride accordingly. And no it doesnt mean riding at 2 mph............................ make progress, make safe progress - expect that humans will do some odd and not so odd stuff (I know I am one).

EdinburghFixed

Postby EdinburghFixed » 5 May 2009, 10:04am

I don't use my ears for any manouvres (whether I'm listening to music or not).

Why would you? If my ears were so advanced they could tell me whether a car will pass 6" to the right, or hit me, then maybe. But all I can say is that sometimes if a car is there, I will hear it - but not always (and even then, I can't hear with precision where he's going, indicators, etc)

This is why I think the iPod debate is so pointless. If pedestrians try to listen for traffic they will still step out in front of it quite often (and in front of cyclists all the time). At least if they have music on, they do not fool themselves into thinking they can hear accurately.

Why cyclists think their ears become super-powered just because they're sitting on a saddle is a mystery ;)

fatboy

Postby fatboy » 5 May 2009, 10:41am

paulah wrote:The government could throw money at 24hr road safety campaigns but it won't make any difference so long as children are getting ferried everywhere in cars instead of being walked to school. They need the practical experience drummed into them when they're young and impressionable.

This seems to be spot on to me. It all comes down to a misplaced over-protectiveness by parents IMHO (it's so dangerous being a pedestrian/cyclist so we must take the car). Suddenly the kids are teenagers and have no idea how to be a pedestrian but they won't ride in the car with the parents.

As a parent myself my kids are getting slowly introduced to being a pedestrian and a cyclist so hopefully they'll have more of an idea when they're a teenager.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly