I DID NOT HEAR YOU

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
glueman

Re: I DID NOT HEAR YOU

Postby glueman » 5 May 2009, 11:51am

Not sure the debate is just about kids. Elderly people are over-represented in step-outs I see - and far more likely to keep going despite all the evidence they'll get flattened if the continue. A wall of static like emergency vehicles have would be useful for step out zones such as narrow pavements and shopping high streets; a general awareness raiser of a cyclists' presence rather than targeting individuals with bells and horns.

Tonyf33

Postby Tonyf33 » 5 May 2009, 2:59pm

People stepping out seems common in & around town these days. More so near to or at pedestrian crossings when the lights are green for me & people just want to take a chance crossing on red. Even when in the car people will just step out blindly, I slow, pip my horn on approach as I see the suicide numpties dawdling across. If I'm on the bike I shout 'move' in my full on bellow voice. They either freeze in which case I can ride past them or they scuttle back to their bit of dry land.
Whilst i realise that as a road user you have to wait for pedestrians to cross when the phase has changed to green from flashing amber stepping out before the phase has even started is just crazy.
Another thing is the idea of 'shared space' which seems to be a growing popular idea with some councils. No lights/crossings and no right of way for any particular user wether on foot/bike or car so pedestrains can just step out at any time. It may well slow down road users but surely this isn't always a good thing around town. Ashford spent £13M on their scheme

worthers

Postby worthers » 5 May 2009, 3:09pm

chris667 wrote:I think most teenage boys they tend not to look where they're going. Teenagers in general have terrible road sense.
Ahem...as a National Standards cycling instructor, a former HGV and PCV driver, and also an instructor for the IAM, RoSPA and DIAmond advanced driving tests, I have to voice my indignation to the above quote.

Tonyf33

Postby Tonyf33 » 5 May 2009, 3:42pm

Isn't it a hormone thing though. Boys especially can be rather clumsy in their pubescent years due to all the growth happening in their bodies.