Drakes Trail (part of the Devon C2C - NCN27)

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Vetus Ossa

Re: Drakes Trail (part of the Devon C2C - NCN27)

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Glad of the info regarding the Yelverton to Princetown track.
It’s been a few years since I have ridden that (on a mountain bike) and have cycled on the main road several times and looked over at it.
I had planned to ride it again soon but perhaps I will give it a miss, I really don’t want to fall off if the track is rough.
Beauty will save the world.
jimbop

Post by jimbop »

Hi all,

I went on my 30mm Espoir Sports and I had an absolutely wonderful time. I grew up in Tavistock from 6 to 18 and although I didn't cycle (just had a BMX for messing about on), I was absolutely blown away to discover so many absolutely stunning new places. It's a brilliantly designed trail and I just plain and simple loved it. The only bits where I struggled were leaving Saltram House going north where I strayed into a bit of single track and had a descent so steep that i had to ride it with my saddle pretty much touching my chest (is that why MTBers have dropper posts?) but my CAADX did pretty well other than that. The other sketchy part was leaving the trail and trying to get to Burrator - the moment i left the trail I hit a hill so steep that after a couple of mins i was broken and had to get off and walk for a while. I looked afterwards on Strava and it's called Vomit Hill and the steepest part is 19.4%!! Lol - not ideal for a beginner with weak legs. The surface was surprisingly good throughout - the odd sections of gravel and some sections with fallen leaves but it was dry so not slippy. I can imagine in the autumn leaves become a factor and my 35mm knobblies might be better then.

The night before i left to ride from Tavistock to Plymouth i decided to try to raise a bit of money for the WWF and managed to raise £300! What helped was volunteering to do a swim in the see at the Hoe in Plymouth but it was a brilliant idea regardless because by the time i got there it was absolutely sweltering and the swim was blissful and refreshing.

The Plym Valley and Drake's Trails are absolutely first-rate - can't recommend more highly - just stick to the trails and it's a nice gentle ride both ways.

Cheers,
Jim
rjb

Post by rjb »

Mick F wrote:
honesty wrote:You've also got the NT shop and cafe in Lydford, which is rather good.
You mean at Lydford Gorge beyond Lydford at the old manor. I raised the subject of Lydford with regard to Granite Way.

There is only a pub, and a carpark with toilets in Lydford these days sadly, though Lydford is a lovely village and worth visiting.

Dont forget the castle. English Heritage and free entry, and not far to Brentor where i like visiting the church on the top.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visi ... axon-town/

At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Next time do the full Coast to Coast, you'll luv it, totally laid back riding, carry on to minehead along the coast.
Attachments
rb221_overview-map-devon-coasttocoast-for-website.jpg
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

rjb wrote:Dont forget the castle. English Heritage and free entry, and not far to Brentor where i like visiting the church on the top.
http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visi ... axon-town/
Your photo is of St Micheal De Rupe on Brentor visible from miles around on the top of a granite "lump".
Nice little church, and worth the climb.
My death and funeral and anyone who wants my will and my fortune, will have to carry my coffin up to the top to be able to claim any of it. :lol:

The castle is in Lydford village almost next door to the Castle Inn.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.64341 ... 312!8i6656
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Post by rjb »

I rode out here as a teenager with the St. Budeaux club in Plymouth. The ride leader had arranged with the church warden to leave the tower access open. It was one of my most memorable rides. The steep drop over the back is very apparent when viewed from the tower. :D
This is one race I will let you go first :mrgreen:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
niggle

Post by niggle »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Next time do the full Coast to Coast, you'll luv it, totally laid back riding, carry on to minehead along the coast.

From Braunton onwards things do get a bit 'lumpy' and descending Porlock hill is not a time for being 'laid back' IMO ;-)
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
niggle wrote:

From Braunton onwards things do get a bit 'lumpy' and descending Porlock hill is not a time for being 'laid back' IMO ;-)

You want to try going up......Porlock....thought's of snapping chains come to mind :(
Ever come up from Lymouth To Linton, that equally as frightening :)

I mean is views and open coast roads, you can always walk, catch train to Minehead / Plymouth, train back at end?
Ok be warned its a bit lumpy at 135' / M :mrgreen:
P.S. The two short hills do have alternate easy........er routes :)
Edited just to be more accurate Countisbury is 900' in 2 miles.......ouch.
Attachments
Porlock 1 Mile - 700' / Mile
Porlock 1 Mile - 700' / Mile
Lynmouth - Lynton - 1200' / Mile - Probably The Worst you Will Find In N-Devon!
Lynmouth - Lynton - 1200' / Mile - Probably The Worst you Will Find In N-Devon!
Braunton - Minehead 133 Feet / Mile
Braunton - Minehead 133 Feet / Mile
1066enthalpies1939

Post by 1066enthalpies1939 »

You want to try going up......Porlock....thought's of snapping chains come to mind :( It not that bad, I have climbed it on fix wheel

Ever come up from Lymouth To Linton, that equally as frightening :) Same here climbe it on fix, and have seen somebody descend on gears no handed.

I
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Thinking about this one as I've done a couple of bits but not sure of the quality of some of the route. I would do a 40 miles on road touring day at the moment (let's assume I'll be no fitter than that). Assuming not camping what's a realistic daily mileage as I think quite a lot is rough track?
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
MrsHJ wrote:

Thinking about this one as I've done a couple of bits but not sure of the quality of some of the route. I would do a 40 miles on road touring day at the moment (let's assume I'll be no fitter than that). Assuming not camping what's a realistic daily mileage as I think quite a lot is rough track?

Plymouth to Tavistock Via Yelverton...all good and easy as I remember, did up to clearbrook recently and no muddy stuff at all easy.
Sultrum house is a country parke with easy cycle paths grit mostly but easy and pleasant.
Then its road up to Lydford, meander through the lanes keeping to cycle route or mainroad is faster but fast traffic too.
From Lydford to Oakhampton railway station is the granite way, traffic free and easy, I prefer it because there are no nasty hills and no traffic!
From Oakhampton is road north about 7 miles off the top of my hat.
Then it gets a bit rough unless its been improved in the last 4 years or so?
As you get further up to Barnstaple it turns from track with some roots to easy path to motorway, mostly off road cycle path.
As I said from Meeth north of hatherliegh its a bit rough I did it on the tourer with 35 mm tyres and a bit bumpy, but gets much better as you go.

From Barnstaple on is pleasant and easy, some quite lanes after leaving the outskirts of town a few hills or move west to wollacombe, not done the coast route here, try it out.
Then ilfracombe - east to Minehead via Lynton - porlock, now they are steep but walk a while up some if you have shoes to match.
Its hilly for sure and right on the coast at times........very steep at Lynmouth and Porlock! so take it easy.

The only rough stuff is meeth on for about.........a few miles IIRC, its not on the route No 27, but its off road which is why I did it.
Not sure if you stichk to 27 here you miss the rough bit or not, that's the only bit where a road bike would struggle at all.

All the rest of cycle paths are easy for sure. so compared with road stuff its slower as there are more turns to follow but it won't slow you by any more than 25 % say.
No big hills till west of Ilfracombe.