bicycle training

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
stephenjubb

bicycle training

Postby stephenjubb » 10 May 2009, 1:15pm

How about the government adding £1 to all car tax for cycle training?
Could also implement for pedestrians (though I think there would be too many)

This would raise £25 million (assuming 25 million cars) for cycle training.

Anyone then caught (assuming the police got a kick up the buttock) RLJing or anything dangerous either pays a big fine or goes on a cycle safety training course (which would be free) and has to pass or pay the fine.

There might be an argument that cyclists would attend, pass, then go back to their old ways, if this were the case the fine would keep doubling.

Any car driver moaning about paying an extra £1 would severely embarass themselves.

At least this proposal would be a start to getting idiot cyclists to ride safer.

What does everyone else think?

rbrian

Re: bicycle training

Postby rbrian » 10 May 2009, 2:21pm

I think cycling should be taught at school, there could be some sort of test to prove your proficiency. I'm surprised it hasn't been tried before.
Cynic? No, an optimist tempered by experience.

saudidave

Postby saudidave » 10 May 2009, 11:03pm

rbrian wrote:I think cycling should be taught at school, there could be some sort of test to prove your proficiency. I'm surprised it hasn't been tried before.

?????? then some!

ianr1950

Postby ianr1950 » 11 May 2009, 4:37pm

rbrian wrote:I think cycling should be taught at school, there could be some sort of test to prove your proficiency. I'm surprised it hasn't been tried before.

Who is going to do the training in the schools and in what part of the day do you suggest this is done :?:

EdinburghFixed

Postby EdinburghFixed » 11 May 2009, 7:50pm

Well to be fair, it's probably more useful than a lot of what is taught at school. I mean, would I ever have been placed at a disadvantage because I'd been taught cycling techniques instead of gymnastics? :)

Jimmy The Hand

Postby Jimmy The Hand » 12 May 2009, 9:34am

ianr1950 wrote:Who is going to do the training in the schools and in what part of the day do you suggest this is done :?:

CTC Cycle Trainers, after school clubs!!

Don't some schools already have Cycle training??

emergency_pants

Postby emergency_pants » 12 May 2009, 11:34am

I'd personally prefer that the money was spent making cycling safer, rather than make cyclists ride more safely. You can be trained for fifty years but if you have to ride up a dangerous road it's a total waste of time and money.

Most people who cycle any distance regularly would be the type of person who would quite happily pay £20 for a training session or two for themselves... and pay for their kids to have it too. So simply making training more accessible and visible would be a bigger help, I reckon. The after school and evening thing would be the trick - at local schools, colleges and universities - for all age ranges.

ianr1950

Postby ianr1950 » 12 May 2009, 11:55am

Jimmy The Hand wrote:
ianr1950 wrote:Who is going to do the training in the schools and in what part of the day do you suggest this is done :?:

CTC Cycle Trainers, after school clubs!!

Don't some schools already have Cycle training??

But was the suggestion implying that it should be taught at every school and if so my question again is who and when.

Are there enough people capable of doing the training and at what cost to the parents etc.

Si

Postby Si » 12 May 2009, 2:29pm

this has become an issue at Mrs Si's school: kids want to ride, parents want them to be trained to ride properly (so few parents these days ever used a bike as anything more than a toy), parents want the school to do the teaching. Problem is that like the patrents themselves, there is no one on the staff that rides regularly, let alone feels confident enough to do the teaching, and even if there were then no one knows how it could it shoe horned into an already over full time table (in which I include after school clubs etc). And that's putting aside the insurance concerns.

Personally I think that schools should offer cycle training but that the actual training should be done by qualified instructors brought in specifically to do it (administered by the council). As it benefits everyone in the long term (fewer cars on the roads meaning less congestion meaning every one spends less time in jams, plus the savings to the health service that fitter children would produce) I think it ought to be funded by tax payers rather than parents having to pay directly to the school/trainer per session.

Speshact

Postby Speshact » 12 May 2009, 4:26pm

http://www.bikeability.org.uk/
By 2012, half a million children are expected to have taken part in Bikeability training,
http://www.dft.gov.uk/cyclingengland/bikeability/

ianr1950

Postby ianr1950 » 13 May 2009, 10:39am

I disagree that the training should be offered by schools or that it should be funded by the taxpayer. The schools have enough on their plates as it is.

If parents were keen enough to want their children to ride a bike they would happily do so and pay the same as they do for other after school activities which also benefit them healthwise.

Why should cycling be any different to other activities that parents want their children to do which they pay extra for.

2Tubs

Postby 2Tubs » 13 May 2009, 12:22pm

ianr1950 wrote:I disagree that the training should be offered by schools or that it should be funded by the taxpayer. The schools have enough on their plates as it is.

If parents were keen enough to want their children to ride a bike they would happily do so and pay the same as they do for other after school activities which also benefit them healthwise.

Why should cycling be any different to other activities that parents want their children to do which they pay extra for.

If we can help children to think of cycling as a means of transport rather than a hobby, then it has the potential to save a fortune in treating obesity related disorders.

Not to mention the safer streets and the road sense it could help teach young people, potentially saving lives.

Using cycles to get to work ratehr than mommy's 4x4 will help ease congestion and save businesses a fortune in addition to making the roads a little bit safer.

Unlike a kid playnig footie or joining the photography club (neither a bad thing to do), cycling as a lifestyle choice can have a greater impact not just on the child, but on the rest of society.

Just a couple of reasons, I'm sure you can think of more.

Gazza
Why not Look at Sheila's Wheelers E2E Journal
Or My Personal Site
Or My Tweets
Whatever you do, buy fair trade.
And smile.

worthers

Postby worthers » 13 May 2009, 1:18pm

Schools have plenty of time for cycle training - Personal Social Health Education (better known as PSHE) lessons. Usually about an hour a week, the syllabus includes education on drugs, alcohol, sexual health, fitness, environmental issues, citizenship and road safety. Personally I always thought it was a load of old tosh, but I reckon that cycle training could fit nicely into the fitness, environmental issues and road safety categories.

rbrian

Postby rbrian » 13 May 2009, 1:29pm

I was referring to Cycling Proficiency in my earlier post, I'm surprised nobody made the link. I'm not really sure what it was about, except that my older siblings did it, and got a badge, and it was cancelled before it was my turn.
Cynic? No, an optimist tempered by experience.

ianr1950

Postby ianr1950 » 13 May 2009, 4:03pm

worthers wrote:Schools have plenty of time for cycle training - Personal Social Health Education (better known as PSHE) lessons. Usually about an hour a week, the syllabus includes education on drugs, alcohol, sexual health, fitness, environmental issues, citizenship and road safety. Personally I always thought it was a load of old tosh, but I reckon that cycle training could fit nicely into the fitness, environmental issues and road safety categories.

You honestly believe so do you.

Of the hour you mention you would be left with probably half that taking into account the time spent getting the children outside, getting the bikes unlocked from where they are stored and then returned.( this assumes that the school has enough space and money to provide this facility)

It should not be the responsibilty of schools to do this.

General health and fitness yes but not this.