Knocked off by a Police Women!!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
horizon

Re: Knocked off by a Police Women!!

Post by horizon »

Just wanted to see if it was possible to reply to this thread! :D
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

Retired Sgt here

As has already been mentioned, if there's injury owing to the prescence of a motor vehicle on a road then Police duty bound to compile report and consider a prosecution . (One of the background reasons for this is to make sure Insurance Companies re imburse Hospitals I believe)
As the potential defendant, another officer ,ideally a Supervisor should be involved in making the report. (In fact probably a Standing Order in the Force Concerned) On duty or off duty.

Police do not have carte Blanche to ignore the law. I had to report myself to a Senior Officer for an off duty speeding matter . And I have compiled a few Police RTC reports.

In my former life I would have looked pretty poorly in behaviour like this.

I would suggest that any insurance company would suggest no one admits liability post collision . Same rules for all .
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

It seems we will never know the outcome.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

MikeF wrote: 2 Oct 2021, 8:44pm It seems we will never know the outcome.
Zombie thread and the OP might be a zombie by now, who knows? :|
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

horizon wrote: 2 Oct 2021, 8:01pm Just wanted to see if it was possible to reply to this thread! :D
Why?
What were you doing to find the thread?
Richard M
Cardiff
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

Here in Australia I have always understood that if a vehicle drives into the back of another vehicle the driver of the second vehicle is at fault as they should have maintained sufficient distance to be able to stop in an emergency.
A bicycle is considered a vehicle under Australian law.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

horizon wrote: 2 Oct 2021, 8:01pm Just wanted to see if it was possible to reply to this thread! :D
What, a thread that’s been dead for well over a decade? I’m puzzled as to what particular benefit there is to bringing back this zombie thread.

It struck me that the original poster was unlucky to have been in the wrong place at the wrong time. We have unrealistic expectations of the Police and from time to time Officers will either get things wrong or have so many different things going through their mind that an error happens. It’s best to cut the Constabulary some slack, one day the call that they’re rushing to might be in support of you or one of your loved ones.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Re how this thread was noticed recently, I linked to it here

viewtopic.php?p=1640473#p1640473
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Was the OP making things up to have a rant?
AJPITFC AJP of Ipswich Town Football Club???
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

richardfm wrote: 2 Oct 2021, 10:27pm
Why?
What were you doing to find the thread?
When I was on this thread earlier the right hand side of the page was all messed up...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

Mike_Ayling wrote: 3 Oct 2021, 6:28am Here in Australia I have always understood that if a vehicle drives into the back of another vehicle the driver of the second vehicle is at fault as they should have maintained sufficient distance to be able to stop in an emergency.
A bicycle is considered a vehicle under Australian law.
Is it really so black and white? What happens if a vehicle overtakes you and pulls in (too) close ahead then brakes immediately?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Here in England, there's a difference between the civil and criminal sides of the law.

All other things being equal, shunt the vehicle in front and you'll be paying compo - or somebody else will be on your behalf.

There was a time when shunting the vehicle in front would result in a conviction for due care. Then, there was a prosecution based entirely on circumstantial evidence which went on appeal and the judgment was that it wasn't inevitably careless driving. In the way these things go, that was soon taken to mean that it wasn't careless driving at all. Several things contributed to this including a move to reduce the priority of traffic policing and a view at the CPS that the criminal justice system wasn't really the way to deal with crashes, but nothing effective was introduced to replace it.
peetee

Post by peetee »

thirdcrank wrote: 7 Mar 2022, 5:22pm Here in England, there's a difference between the civil and criminal sides of the law.

All other things being equal, shunt the vehicle in front and you'll be paying compo - or somebody else will be on your behalf.

There was a time when shunting the vehicle in front would result in a conviction for due care. Then, there was a prosecution based entirely on circumstantial evidence which went on appeal and the judgment was that it wasn't inevitably careless driving. In the way these things go, that was soon taken to mean that it wasn't careless driving at all. Several things contributed to this including a move to reduce the priority of traffic policing and a view at the CPS that the criminal justice system wasn't really the way to deal with crashes, but nothing effective was introduced to replace it.
I wonder if this was the same case my former work colleague was involved in. He was the victim of a driver who pulled out of a side turn but claimed to the insurers that he was hit from behind by my colleagues speeding car. There followed a period of great expense of hiring a replacement vehicle, buying a replacement car (3rd party only) and increased insurance premium as well as the worry of court proceedings and injury compensation costs.
Fortunately for him it was established that the plaintiff lived in a street accessible only from the side road adjacent to the collision and the time of day was consistent with his daily journey to work.
Remarkable then that such facts could not be established and settled by the insurers.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

There was a long tradition among people once regarded as the neglect merchants who used to say the police shouldn't be doing the insurance companies' work for them and that was formalised by the CPS in relation to minor bumps but which rapidly became the logic for the police not investigating all but the most serious of crashes. As the definition of bad driving is based on what's expected, it's hardly surprising that when somebody shunts a cyclist who's much more likely to be maimed or killed than the occupants of a modern motor vehicle in a shunt, that juries are slow to convict and eg the death of Michael Mason, the police don't bother to submit a file to the CPS.