Coast to coast, any suggestions ?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Phil J

Coast to coast, any suggestions ?

Post by Phil J »

My wife and I are expecting a baby at the end of July so I can't go off and do LeJog this year. So what I was thinking of was doing a coast to coast ride in September that would only take 3-4 days and is not too far away from home so my wife and baby can come and meet me for a couple of evenings out. I live near Grimsby, so just wondered if anybody had a route that was not to far away starting or finshing somewere nearby.
Thanks for any help given.
Phil :)
meic

Re: Coast to coast, any suggestions ?

Post by meic »

You couldnt have dragged me away from the babies for even two days when they were only 2 months old. :lol:
By that age you could put a car baby carrier in a trailer and take them with you part way.
I bet you drop the whole idea after the baby arrives. :lol:
Yma o Hyd
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

http://www.transpenninetrail.org.uk/

That is not too far from Grimsby.
rickwiggans

Post by rickwiggans »

Agree with previous poster - TPT is an excelent ride. A few years ago we did a ride from Silverdale on the west coast to Whitby. Took in the part of Forest of Bowland, Yorkshire Dales and North York Moors. That might work for you. You could also think abot Hadrian's cycle way - Ravenglass to Tynemouth - nice ride, and the trains might work for you

Rick
sharpy

Post by sharpy »

The Walney to Wear (W2W) route is probably suitable as it can extended slightly to start/finish in Whitby which is reasonably close to your location. The route is part of the national cycle network; maps ae available from Sustrans. Bit hilly but great fun and fantastic scenery.
Best Wishes
Paul
PW

Post by PW »

There's a CTC route from Whitehaven to Scarborough which is nice, but unless it's been updated you'll have to fly by the seat of the pants for accomodation, some of the YHAs have closed. We managed ok by filling in with B&Bs and the odd campsite.
Whitehaven-Wasdale - Kirkby Stephen - Kettlewell - Osmotherley - Robin Hoods Bay - Scarborough. We used Sedburgh instead of Kirkby, the ride over Hardknott is too much for the full distance if carrying camping gear.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
Phil J

Post by Phil J »

Thank you very much for the suggestions, lots of routes to look up now. So glad I joined this forum it has already been such a great help. :D
2Tubs

Post by 2Tubs »

Coast to coast suggestion?

Start where there is lots of water on one side.

Cycle in the other direction.

When you see a lot more water, stop.

>;o)

If you cycle the Sustrans C2C route on a road bike, take some good maps because some of it isn't suitable for anything less than a hybrid and I would recoment a MTB. Just a warning I wish I'd had as advice and took the bike I'd left in the garage rather than the one was sitting on . . .

Gazza
Why not Look at Sheila's Wheelers E2E Journal
Or My Personal Site
Or My Tweets
Whatever you do, buy fair trade.
And smile.
pq

Post by pq »

If you live in Grimsby why not start from there? Get 1:50,000 OS maps stretching across the country and plany your own route. A few hours one evening and you'll be sorted. You don't have to ride a signed route someone else has invented.

Actually, given the prevailing winds in Britain you'd be better finishing in Grimsby....
One link to your website is enough. G
ed_o_brain

Post by ed_o_brain »

I'd be at home with the new sprog :)
It's not what you ride... it's how you ride it