Oxford - London Road Cycle Lane

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
jochta

Oxford - London Road Cycle Lane

Post by jochta »

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/446494 ... the_hump_/

What I don't understand about this 'new' cycle scheme in Oxford is why there is a segregated lane with crossing facilities across Headley Way at a set of traffic lights and a lane marked on the road across the lights and in the bus lane. You can just see an arrow with cycle motif in the red paint of the bus lane in the photo on that story.

It's like they accept that some cyclists will want to use the road but they'll still spend £18k on putting in 500m of crappy cycle lane too just to appease the ones who don't. It's extremely confusing for the motorist and cyclist with white lines and lanes and cycle pictograms all over the bloody place.

So do you mix with the buses in the bus lane and face the drivers telling you to get on the bloody path. Or cycle on the humpy cyclepath weaving around the pedestrians who see no reason to stay on their half of the footpath?

Would it not have made more sense to do one or other of the jobs properly in the first place?

John
adinigel

Re: Oxford - London Road Cycle Lane

Post by adinigel »

I have a lesson in Oxford on Saturday so will try and make time to have a look. Personally I would cycle in the bus lane, provided we aren't specifically banned from doing so. If a bus driver wants to make something of it, not down the bus details and report him to the bus company - if you speak to the right person they will be interested.

Combined footpaths & cycle paths are all very well if you are happy to pootle along but if you want to cycle 15+mph than you could be a danger to pedestrians and I believe are better off on the road.

Nigel
DSA registered Driving Instructor, RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Car Instruction, SAFED registered van trainer, National Standards Cycling Instructor
adinigel

Post by adinigel »

Managed to divert a training session along the road yesterday. At first glance I don't really see why there is any fuss about it. Bikes are still allowed in the bus lane as far as I can see and there is a combined cycle/footpath so cyclists have the choice of using either.

Nigel
DSA registered Driving Instructor, RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Car Instruction, SAFED registered van trainer, National Standards Cycling Instructor
bigphil

Post by bigphil »

adinigel wrote:Managed to divert a training session along the road yesterday. At first glance I don't really see why there is any fuss about it. Bikes are still allowed in the bus lane as far as I can see and there is a combined cycle/footpath so cyclists have the choice of using either.

Nigel

The reality is though that as a cyclist who chooses to use a bus lane when there is a cycle path there you face the wrath of bus drivers. Rather than having to make a choose between a bad cycle path vs aggressive bus drivers why not just get the bike lane right?
adinigel

Post by adinigel »

Personally I wouldn't want to be on the cycle path. Too much stop-starting having to give way at side roads, I would rather be on teh road where I have priority over the vehicles emerging from side roads. I wouldn't feel comfortable cycling much more than 10mph in an environment where I am mixing with pedestrians whereas I am happy to cycle 15-20mph on the road.

Irate bus drivers? Just give them a smile and a wave (whole hand, not 1 or 2 fingers). If necessary take their details and report them to the bus company (or the Police).

Nigel
downfader

Post by downfader »

I had a look at the article and two things strike me

a) the BMXer should probably have refrained, now all the local scallies will want to try that out.
b) whoever approved that needs to lose their job. Its like curing cancer with holywater, just aint practicle.

Oh and there aint half some pillocks on that site commenting - much like my own local rag. :lol:
thegirlfrommarz

Post by thegirlfrommarz »

I cycle this route most of the time - I live on the outskirts of Headington and work in the city centre. I can't say I'd noticed the bumpiness of the cycle lane, but that's because I haven't used it yet - I'm sticking with the bus lane rather than have to give way and all the side roads. I haven't yet had any grief from bus drivers, but maybe I've just been lucky so far - I do try to go at a reasonable clip so I'm not holding them up.

What a lot of numpties commenting on the Oxford Mail article (or maybe it's just that one bloke, Zimmer)! I can't imagine any driver would actively choose to stop-start their way along a road, giving way to side roads all the time, when there was an alternative available - why would anyone think a cyclist would do it by choice?