I've been caught in a police speed-trap!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mick F
Spambuster

I've been caught in a police speed-trap!

Postby Mick F » 14 Jul 2009, 9:34pm

I rode out today on one of my favourite rides. 30 miles through the Cornish lanes, and as I approached Upton Cross on the B3254, I was met by the police in yellow jackets holding a radar gun. It's a 30mph limit through the village and past the primary school.

As I approached, it's a sudden uphill after a long downhill, and as I know the road very well, I know where to kick out so I can power up without having to change down the gears. I rounded the crest by the cross roads and the school, and then saw them.
Half a dozen primary school children with a copper with a big grin on his face! The young lad in the yellow coat zapped me with the gun and shouted in a clear voice, "You were doing 13mph!"

"Thank you!" I shouted back, and then waved to the 'real' policeman who grinned even more!

Super stuff. The police and the kids must have been having a whale of a time.
Mick F. Cornwall

Richard

Re: I've been caught in a police speed-trap!

Postby Richard » 14 Jul 2009, 9:50pm

If the police are anything like the way people on this forum believe I'm surprised you weren't dragged from your bike, arrested and beaten senseless in a cell without any care for your rights. They're all thugs you know!

paulah

Postby paulah » 14 Jul 2009, 10:23pm

Mick F wrote:"You were doing 13mph!"

Don't speed guns often record double the actual speed for cyclists?
There shall be only one pannier

JohnW

Postby JohnW » 14 Jul 2009, 11:14pm

Does anyone know Bingley, in West Yorkshire? The main street is part of the main road from West Yorkshire to Skipton and the lakes, and is (or was, anyway) in good surface condition, and in the north-west direction is slightly downhill. The street nowadays is hampered by several sets of traffic lights, but fourty-five years ago, there were none and the road was quite quiet in the evenings.

One evening, three of us were hot-wheeling it after night-school (in Bradford) out to Skipton to meet girlfriends. The wind was behind us, and we were taking advantage of that and the gradient, when a copper overtook us in an A35 Noddy Van. He stopped us. He gave us a real telling off for exceeding the speed limit. He said he could book us if we didn't ride more sensibly. We begged him to book us - just think of the kudos, and the admiration of the girlfriends.

I quote his answer verbatim : "Nah - the sarge'd never believe me".

Now that's all quite true.

Nowadays of course, on a modern bike, even a modest cyclist can do more than 30 under similar conditions

anniesboy

Postby anniesboy » 15 Jul 2009, 9:48am

I think you should have been riding yesterdays stage of TdFrance,as on Eurosport Mr Kelly was saying they were having a easy day.Not really racing ,all in all a slow stage.

SLOW? 194.5k in 4.46 I make that 40.9 k per hour or about 24.5 mph very tortoise like

JohnW

Postby JohnW » 15 Jul 2009, 11:37am

anniesboy wrote:I think you should have been riding yesterdays stage of TdFrance,as on Eurosport Mr Kelly was saying they were having a easy day.Not really racing ,all in all a slow stage.

SLOW? 194.5k in 4.46 I make that 40.9 k per hour or about 24.5 mph very tortoise like

Yes, p'raps, but 120 miles is different from a 200 yard downhill spurt with the wind behind you.

Beakyboy

Postby Beakyboy » 15 Jul 2009, 11:53am

Great story, has anyone ever been done for speeding on a bike?
May the wind always be at your rear!

gilesjuk

Postby gilesjuk » 15 Jul 2009, 12:41pm

Speed limits only apply to vehicles with speedometers.

Of course you can be done for being reckless.

Kirst

Postby Kirst » 15 Jul 2009, 1:07pm

Beakyboy wrote:Great story, has anyone ever been done for speeding on a bike?

My dad was stopped in his youth for overtaking a police car on his bike, on a downhill. There's lots of good downhills in West Yorkshire! The policeman knew fine well he couldn't do him but I think he just wanted to express his displeasure at being overtaken by a cyclist!
I can handle bars and cycle paths but I can't handle cars and psychopaths

http://action.hopenothate.org.uk/page/s/notinmyname

gaz

Postby gaz » 15 Jul 2009, 2:17pm

Beakyboy wrote:Great story, has anyone ever been done for speeding on a bike?

You can't be on a public road, speed limits apply to motor vehicles only. However there's a range of other offences you might be booked for instead, reckless cycling, dangerous cycling, furious riding - don't ask me which ones are still current.
2020 - To redundancy ... and beyond!

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 15 Jul 2009, 4:19pm

I think my posts in this link - which were in the middle of a discussion of how 20mph limits might affect cyclists - covers furious cycling etc.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23896&p=190276&hilit=furiously#p190276

(Incidentally, for about the zillionth time, the reason you cannot be prosecuted for speeding, as in exceeding the speed limit, is that the legislation applies only to motor vehicles. Whether or not the legislators were influenced by the historic absence of speedos on bikes I don't know, but for anybody who has missed the news, cheap and pretty accurate speedometers for pedal cycles are widely available.)

meic

Postby meic » 15 Jul 2009, 4:31pm

I doubt the legislators were thinking about speedos in vehicles when they wrote the rules. Speedos were not compulsory for new vehicles until shortly after 1930 and they are STILL not compulsory for vehicles registered before the compulsion.
Many of my friends have motor vehicles without speedometers and we are well aware that it is an absolute myth to assume this gives you a right to speed.
Speedometers are not even tested on a motorcycle MOT and the penalty for not having one fitted is so small that it would make an interesting loophole against getting licence points if it was the case that only vehicles with speedometers were liable.
But it isnt the case.
Yma o Hyd

ferrit worrier

Postby ferrit worrier » 15 Jul 2009, 5:59pm

Glad they wern't on the A30 at Okehampton on the 5th of June :lol:

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 15 Jul 2009, 6:51pm

meic wrote:... Speedos were not compulsory for new vehicles until shortly after 1930 and they are STILL not compulsory for vehicles registered before the compulsion. ...

Driving tests, road signs and markings, and the general 30 mph speed limit in built-up areas were all introduced in the mid 1930's by the then Minister of Transport Lesley Hoare Belisha (best known for his beacons) to reduce the level of accidents on the road. The issue then was the danger from motor vehicles and that's what the legislation was intended to tackle.

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 15 Jul 2009, 8:16pm

Richard wrote:If the police are anything like the way people on this forum believe I'm surprised you weren't dragged from your bike, arrested and beaten senseless in a cell without any care for your rights. They're all thugs you know!

Surely you are referring to the kids?