L-E-L

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Manx Cat

L-E-L

Post by Manx Cat »

Well, today is the start of the London Edinburgh London Audax ride.

Good luck to everyone entered, hope the weather on the East side of Britain, is better than the West.

Mary
jan19

Re: L-E-L

Post by jan19 »

Not good in London today Mary - high winds and very dull. Hope it gets better for them as they go north.

Jan
Dean

Post by Dean »

I've been volunteering at Middleton Tyas. It's an amazing event - people have come from all over the world, Costa Rica, Israel, Australia, scores of Italians, even a few Brits.

The riders approached it all with a cheerful sang froid that was charm itself to behold. Some people looked absolutely gone when they arrived, but a bit of the fine grub on offer usually saw them right.

Here's the website:

http://londonedinburghlondon.co.uk/

The tailenders will still be on the roads of County Durham, on the roof of England at Yad Moss.
Last edited by Dean on 23 Aug 2010, 8:43pm, edited 1 time in total.
garybaldy

Post by garybaldy »

Just looked at the start list and noticed that Scotland had 7 riders, Wales 4 and the United Kingdom 277.

When did Scotland and Wales cease to be part of the UK?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

garybaldy wrote:Just looked at the start list and noticed that Scotland had 7 riders, Wales 4 and the United Kingdom 277.

When did Scotland and Wales cease to be part of the UK?
:shock:

What is the world coming to? :shock: Even though the riders are cycling half way to the moon - or at least it will seem like it for many - attention to detail is of the utmost importance. As my contribution to keeping things on track, I offer

" this is England and rain can occur at any time." (My emphasis.)

That's in the FAQs no 5 "What should I take with me on the ride."

:mrgreen:
Dean

Post by Dean »

Waterproofs have, I believe, been required in both England and Scotland. It's been interesting, trying to follow it on twitter (which I've managed to ignore until now):

left mid tyas @ 1415 having slept thru the sunshine 4 2 hrs. Started raining as soon as we left. Soaked again. Awful british weather

http://search.twitter.com/search?q=%23lel
Milfred Cubicle

Post by Milfred Cubicle »

I volunteered for a shift at Coxwold control. It was absolutely brilliant. The international atmosphere, the cameraderie, and superb organisation. Not to mention the efforts of the riders-superb. I really recommend volunteering to help at a control. You get to meet so many different, but like minded people. I'm not going to volunteer for the next L.E.L. though....I was so inspired by the event, I've decided to submit an entry! Roll on 2013!
Greg

Post by Greg »

I volunteered at Thorne, and the riders were inspirational. It's amazing what normal people can do, if they set their minds to it.The only problem is, my mind now tells me that if they can do it, **I can do it as well!** This, of course, is a silly idea that involves senseless amounts of pain. Oh well.

My photos are up on Flickr.
Manx Cat

Post by Manx Cat »

When are they due back at London? Anyone know?

Great pics by the way Greg.

Mary
vernon

Post by vernon »

It's over. You can catch up with ride reports here: http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=21889.315

Vernon
Neil Fat Man On A Bike

Post by Neil Fat Man On A Bike »

Wow London to Edinburgh and back..........that is huge :shock:
toontra

Post by toontra »

I arrived back on Thursday afternoon. The weather on the return leg had to be experienced to be believed. At one stage I have to admit that I was worried for my safety as we approached the top of the Pennines in torrential rain and a howling headwind on Tuesday night - it's very exposed up there! There actually were some people hospitalised with hypothermia I believe - we saw an American chap in Alston receiving care before being driven to A&E. A large number of riders packed on the return leg, which is hardly surprising.

The rain kept up for almost the entire trip, so after the first few hours most parts of the body were permanently wet, and the headwind on the return leg made for some gruelling stretches, especially from Edinburgh to Langholm over the border hills.

On he plus side, I rode with some great people and made new friends, and the volunteers manning the controls made the whole thing bearable with their endless supply of good cheer and assistance. On several occasions my bike was checked, chain oiled and tyres pumped while I ate - what service! Many thanks to all. It was also an endurance event for them!

My body is now in a state of recovery - numb hands and feet, sore quads which means having to walk down stairs sideways, and my ar$e is best not mentioned!
vernon

Post by vernon »

Chapeau Toontra,

I'm familiar with the bleak stretches that you mention. I've cycled most of them though never as part of a LEL. I keep thinking about having a go but some serious weight loss is in order first. I can do the distance though not at a pace that would see me complete it within a fortnight :D
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I'll repeat Vernon's "Chapeau".

Depending what time you went through Gamlingay, I might have seen you. I was there from about 09.30 to 20.15, though had a 1hr trip out during the morning to fetch chain oil & inner tubes, and to dump rubbish at Biggleswade (rubbish dumped at the official refuse tip, not on the high street :) ).

I enjoyed helping no end, the riders who reached Gamlingay were pretty cheery, but they only had another 70k to go. Once Italian said Thursday had been the worst weather as ice had been hurled at him from the sky !
toontra

Post by toontra »

Hi Nigel, I went through at around 1.30pm and had the best BLT roll I've ever had, made to order with rocket lettuce! A great crown of volunteers who my riding partner (Chris H) seemed to know a few of and was chatting away with.

We also experienced the thunderstorm containing hailstones - in fact we finally worked out after 40 minutes of torrential rain that we were in fact riding at the same pace and in the same direction as the clouds - so we stopped for a few minutes!