L-E-L

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
beachcomber

Re: L-E-L

Post by beachcomber »

I got back home from LEL yesterday but am still buzzing. I'd like to say a big thanks to all the volunteers at the controls, we couldn't have done it without you.

It was great to see you at Middldleton Tyas, Dean, I had almost bonked just before arriving so was not in the best condition. I felt much better after a good feed and your one to one attention.

On the return leg the weather was the worst I have ever ridden in. This was echoed by many other long term randoners. My riding mate Mark, and I prolonged our stay at Eskdalemuir rather than ride through the night in bad conditions in such an exposed and remote area.

I got a strange fixation on sausage and mash on my return ride from Alston and was delighted to find the Middleton Tyas had it on their menu. I couldn't have been happier with a lottery win.

Leaving Gamlingay just before dawn on Friday we saw the most amazing sun rise and rode the final 40km in sunshine. A fitting end to an epic ride.

Right now's the time to start planning for the 1001 Miglia Italia in 2010 :D
Dean

Post by Dean »

May I say a BIG congratulations to toontra and beachcomber (I hope you enjoyed the cake!), and anyone else who completed the ride. And of course to my fellow volunteer Nigel. I was at Middlelon Tyas for a few hours (a 19-hour shift), and it was hard. I can only offer my deepest respect to anyone who was volunteering for the full stint.

It is challenge in the best conditions, but this year sounds as though the UK lived up to its reputation. Chapeau to all the non-UK riders who gave the event its international flavour and survived the rain, hail, wind, etc. etc.
toontra

Post by toontra »

Many thanks Dean, and all the other volunteers. It wasn't just the practical help (for example getting my mudguard repaired and chain oiled at Middleton Tyas while I ate) - for me it was more the kindness and encouragement that kept me going, and that could only have come from people with a love of cycling. In other words, the volunteers achieved far more than paid staff could ever have done.
dkmwt

Post by dkmwt »

Well done to all who did it, including volunteers.

I'm now going to stick my neck out and say that I'm going to enter in the 2013 event if finances allow. I wasn't going to say anything in case I chicken out but what the hell, I know I can do the distance.

I figured 1400km translates to 870 miles divide by 5 for the number of days = 174 miles a day. Easy average speed 10mph = 16kph actual cycling time per day 17.5 hours leaves 6.5 hours for eat and sleep. I'm not saying that I'll stick to this schedule, it just puts it into a time frame.
Cheers, Donald
Trice "Qnt 26" 26/39/55 F 10sp 11/36 R, now with Windwrap fairing.
ICE B1 34/50 F Capreo 9/32 R.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dkmwt/78674512/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1188814973
PW

Post by PW »

Hmmmm...
I just got back from my JoGHome trip, the last day, admittedly on a touring bike with full camping gear, was Reeth to Chesterfield - 115 miles. I have aches where I didn't know I had places, carpal tunnel damage to the left hand, (never had any bother before, probably just the awful road surfaces) and can hardly move my shoulders/upper arms. Prior to that I was poddling along comfortably at 60-75 miles per day with plenty of cafe stops and no bother. It may be old age and lack of practice but I think my century plus days are about done!
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
byegad

Post by byegad »

garybaldy wrote:Just looked at the start list and noticed that Scotland had 7 riders, Wales 4 and the United Kingdom 277.

When did Scotland and Wales cease to be part of the UK?

No that's not it. If you are Scots, Welsh or Irish it's OK to say so but if you are English you must say British. It's been the same in the last few census forms. I'm English and always write this in the 'other' space.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine