So why DO you cycle?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
EdinburghFixed

Re: So why DO you cycle?

Post by EdinburghFixed »

I mainly cycle because someone needs to keep motorists in their place. Why, yesterday I duelled a chap in a black Ford Focus for almost 3 miles until I left him, crushed and demoralised, at the back of another queue.

Even if cycling was more expensive than driving, it would still be worth it to see the outrage on their fat, tired faces as you whisk past 20 or 30 vehicles and shoehorn yourself into a gap at the front. :roll:

It's hard to be this holy.
jan19

Post by jan19 »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8307698.stm

Here's another reason

(sorry, yes I know the dreaded "L" word is being used, but that's where I live!)

local media is going beserk over this. Might be some more cyclists on the road I think.

Jan
TheJollyJimLad

Post by TheJollyJimLad »

Although I enjoyed getting out on the bike during my childhood I was still a bit of a podgy teen with low self esteem. I started secondary school 7 miles away and decided to cycle. I saved up my newspaper round money and bought a Muddy Fox Courier. Through a combination of growing up and cycling 14 miles a day my self belief and confidence shot through the ceiling. I started to race mountain bikes including the Grundig Mountain Bike Challenge in 89.
I've been a cycle commuter on and off (more on than off thankfully) ever since

A few years later, I had to get to a conference in a neighbouring town 4/5 miles away and cycled along the towpath that connects the two. I arrived to a lot of delegates fuming and moaning about local road works and congestion. I suddenly chipped in stating that I had to stop for some ducks (this was true - a duck and ducklings needed to waddle across the towpath to plop into the canal. This held me up for a very pleasant 30 seconds). The looks on their faces was something to behold.

I owe alot of my happiness to cycling but it's a gift that just keeps on giving :D
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

TheJollyJimLad wrote:A few years later, I had to get to a conference in a neighbouring town 4/5 miles away and cycled along the towpath that connects the two. I arrived to a lot of delegates fuming and moaning about local road works and congestion. I suddenly chipped in stating that I had to stop for some ducks (this was true - a duck and ducklings needed to waddle across the towpath to plop into the canal. This held me up for a very pleasant 30 seconds). The looks on their faces was something to behold.

Isn't it interesting that we tend to get held up by things that make us smile, motorists wouldn't smile if they were held up by a bloke giving away gold bullion.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
jan19

Post by jan19 »

I suddenly chipped in stating that I had to stop for some ducks (this was true - a duck and ducklings needed to waddle across the towpath to plop into the canal. This held me up for a very pleasant 30 seconds)

I've done that too! I had a cycle to work in the spring where I saw something on the grass verge ahead of me. I approached slowly, dreading that I was going to find something dead lying on the grass. But no, Mr and Mrs Mallard were just sitting taking in the air.

Gave me a big smile all the way to work.I'd have just shot past at 30+mph in the car.

Jan
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Rabbits tend to hold me up in spring as well, just sitting there - They ignore the cars whizzing past, but freak at a cyclist.

After a few weeks they get used to me sailing past as well ;)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Got held up once by two fox cubs playing in the road- a real treat. :)
byegad

Post by byegad »

This year while cycling on the roads around here I've seen:-
A fox cross the road only a few yards in front of me with a rabbit in its mouth.
Several stoats
A weasel.
A couple of rats crossing the road.
A shrew crossing the road.
Innumerable rabbits, one of which ran down the road in front of me for several hundred yards before diving into the hedge!
Many species of birds, including:-
Goldcrests.
Wrens.
Red Kites.
A little Owl.
and Buzzards while triking in Shropshire.

This is only a small collection of the wildlife I come across and of course I've seen the seasons change, riding on snow, in the sun, and now the glorious colours of Autumn.

Why do I cycle? Look above!
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
ianr1950

Post by ianr1950 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
TheJollyJimLad wrote:A few years later, I had to get to a conference in a neighbouring town 4/5 miles away and cycled along the towpath that connects the two. I arrived to a lot of delegates fuming and moaning about local road works and congestion. I suddenly chipped in stating that I had to stop for some ducks (this was true - a duck and ducklings needed to waddle across the towpath to plop into the canal. This held me up for a very pleasant 30 seconds). The looks on their faces was something to behold.

Isn't it interesting that we tend to get held up by things that make us smile, motorists wouldn't smile if they were held up by a bloke giving away gold bullion.

What assumptions are being made here.

It's as though all motorists get upset by cyclists going past them whilst they are in a queue when I don't think it is anywhere near the numbers that some allude to.

I drive but I don't give it any thought whatsoever when cyclist comes by me if I am queueing up and I would hazard a guess that the majority of drivers couldn't give a monkeys either.
ianr1950

Post by ianr1950 »

EdinburghFixed wrote:I mainly cycle because someone needs to keep motorists in their place. Why, yesterday I duelled a chap in a black Ford Focus for almost 3 miles until I left him, crushed and demoralised, at the back of another queue.

Even if cycling was more expensive than driving, it would still be worth it to see the outrage on their fat, tired faces as you whisk past 20 or 30 vehicles and shoehorn yourself into a gap at the front. :roll:

It's hard to be this holy.

There are some really sanctimonious people about aren't there. :twisted:
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

ianr1950 wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:Isn't it interesting that we tend to get held up by things that make us smile, motorists wouldn't smile if they were held up by a bloke giving away gold bullion.

What assumptions are being made here.

Motorists (as a sweeping generalisation, but also on a personal note, and I get general agreement in the office) get frustrated at anything which delays their journey. Road works, traffic lights, cyclists, busses, tractors, horses, other cars, the weather...

Cyclists on the other hand are generally happy to be delayed for a short while - by whatever. Typical journey pace does not encourage wrath, and we often welcome a small rest. We also seem to understand that a few seconds here or there isn't going to affect any journey by much.
The way many drivers behave (and I used to be like this) implies that every second counts on every part of the journey. It's simply not true, and it makes for a stressful drive...

It's not being overtaken that motorists object to - it's being held up (or thinking that they're being held up) on their race to the next set of "pointless" lights, or the next traffic queue.
Jamesy

Post by Jamesy »

In 1996, I suffered a complete mental breakdown due to pressure of work. I was unable to work for 4 years. I started cycling again in 1999 and the exercise coupled with the joy of cycling with a group of like-minded, positive, genuine people, completed my rehabilitation. I've cycled nearly every day since. :D
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". Robert G. Ingersoll
Georgezippybungle

Post by Georgezippybungle »

I agree with many of the above answers but another thing that crosses my mind when I cycle is that most "normal people" - we all know them, just don't consider it as a useful means of transport, it involves effort, the majority of the population is inherently lazy, it's why we have an obesity problem. So many cannot imagine leaving their house not behind the wheel of their car. They just copy everyone else.
I am a bit eccentric and just don't want to conform. Therefore I cycle everywhere (within reason) despite having the option of motorised transport on my drive. It also means I can indulge my cake and beer habit. :D
Jamesy

Post by Jamesy »

Georgezippybungle wrote:I agree with many of the above answers but another thing that crosses my mind when I cycle is that most "normal people" - we all know them, just don't consider it as a useful means of transport, it involves effort, the majority of the population is inherently lazy, it's why we have an obesity problem. So many cannot imagine leaving their house not behind the wheel of their car. They just copy everyone else.
I am a bit eccentric and just don't want to conform. Therefore I cycle everywhere (within reason) despite having the option of motorised transport on my drive. It also means I can indulge my cake and beer habit. :D

When I was a youngster, someone who used to be very close to me once told me that you shouldn't walk in anyone else's shadow, you should always make your own. I've always tried to live by that piece of advice. Conforming is something that has never come easily to me.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". Robert G. Ingersoll
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Jamesy wrote:In 1996, I suffered a complete mental breakdown due to pressure of work. I was unable to work for 4 years. I started cycling again in 1999 and the exercise coupled with the joy of cycling with a group of like-minded, positive, genuine people, completed my rehabilitation. I've cycled nearly every day since. :D

It's helped me in climbing out of PTSD, even though I cycle alone. Fresh air, no people, no stress, good exercise, things to see. Concentrating on the route and the bike and my surroundings helps keep the horrible flashbacks at bay too. Even now, over a year after the event and though I'm now back to as near normal as I'm ever likely to get, if I don't cycle for a week or so I notice that I get more vulnerable to stray stress attacks. If I'm cycling two or three times a week I can manage pretty well though.

It seems to work far and away better than walking or other kinds of exercise.