So why DO you cycle?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
eileithyia

Re: So why DO you cycle?

Post by eileithyia »

For days like the one we've just had/having, sunshine, birds tweeting, spring flowers blooming and the distinct pale yellowy green of colour appearing on the willows.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

Send some of that to SW Cambs, would you? I spent most of yesterday on the bike. It was 4 deg C, with a bitter wind, and when it wasn't drizzling, it was raining.

I wouldn't have done it if I had't needed to restock the larder and pop off to Lidl's for their trekking trousers (at your recommendation IIRC).

But I enjoyed. I must be a masochist.
aprildavy

Post by aprildavy »

as a teenager (in Glasgow),
to go to the airport for plane spotting
to access the country side and go up hills and see the view
to cycle to uni and college
to cycle to my mates and gfriends houses at the weekends
freedom mainly

now aged 51 in Dorset
50% fitness, once a week commute to work 50 mile return trip, poss twice per week
Very aware that of parents generation, now in late 70s early 80s, the fitter ones have a much much higher quality of life
50% enjoyment, still to see the scenery, to go up the hills, through beautiful villages,
to go places with my wife
to see an early morning or late evening owl or deer

I enjoy it!

But I also drive 17,000 miles per year!
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

Too far to walk, I hate paying out money to get a car to move (fuel), I'm keeping in shape.

There's some sort of sense of freedom when on the bike. Plus I can just stop the bike at any time somewhere and not have to switch an engine off and then back on again.
aek

Post by aek »

I only started cycling a year and 3 months ago and i do a daily 11 mile commute each way.
Every morning i enjoy waking up and getting on the bike. I love the countryside and really enjoy the fresh air.
I arrive at work awake, alert, full of energy and joyful. My energy inspires other people too, but unfortunately some of my colleagues do live quite far away and i feel sorry for them that they can't cycle.
Since i started cycling i feel more motivated, i learned a lot about bikes and bike mechanics. I have a new hobby now and i feel that my time is well spent in a rewarding way.

I am frustrated every time i have to put fuel in my car and it's incredible how much money i managed to save. With the saved money i can build new bikes for me and my family.

I was always an active person, but for many years i lost my fitness and gained unnecessary extra weight because of driving and the lack of exercise. My fitness is back now, the weight is going down steadily, my immune system has improved a lot and i feel more healthy than ever.

I look forward to go on cycling tours and explore new places with my family.

Hard to remember every single reason, but every day i could think of a new one!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

aek wrote:I only started cycling a year and 3 months ago and i do a daily 11 mile commute each way.
Every morning i enjoy waking up and getting on the bike. I love the countryside and really enjoy the fresh air.
I arrive at work awake, alert, full of energy and joyful. My energy inspires other people too, but unfortunately some of my colleagues do live quite far away and i feel sorry for them that they can't cycle.
Since i started cycling i feel more motivated, i learned a lot about bikes and bike mechanics. I have a new hobby now and i feel that my time is well spent in a rewarding way.

I am frustrated every time i have to put fuel in my car and it's incredible how much money i managed to save. With the saved money i can build new bikes for me and my family.

I was always an active person, but for many years i lost my fitness and gained unnecessary extra weight because of driving and the lack of exercise. My fitness is back now, the weight is going down steadily, my immune system has improved a lot and i feel more healthy than ever.

I look forward to go on cycling tours and explore new places with my family.

Hard to remember every single reason, but every day i could think of a new one!

You just needed a little nudge :)
It was a nice commute.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
aek

Post by aek »

[XAP]Bob wrote:You just needed a little nudge :)
It was a nice commute.

Indeed, thanks for inspiring me. The commute is indeed great. We should organise a day tour sometimes after my Surly is built!