Faith restored....

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
hondated

Faith restored....

Postby hondated » 7 Oct 2009, 4:10pm

Last Saturday out on my ride about 3 mile away from home I met a fellow cyclist and we rode along chatting for a while.He seemed a friendly enough fella but as we went down a hill I spotted another fellow cyclist with both wheels out of the frame. My instant reaction was to say to my new cycling colleague I think that fellow needs a hand and his instant response was to wish me farewell and rode off into the distance. Nice chap I thought as he rode off.Anyway the cyclist broken down had got a puncture and forgotten his repair gear. I offered him a tube but by this time his wife was on her way to collect him so he declined my offer and we had a friendly chat about cycling triathlons etc.He seemed a nice fella so I am glad I stopped for him. But then hopefully most of our cyclists colleagues would.
Now fast forward to today. Out on the bike again I rode down a hill caught the front wheel in a rut,don't you just love our local councils, and got a puncture.After I had replaced the inner tube and about to fit the wheel back into the forks a young fella on a nice racing bike, I was on my Tourer with panniers pulled up and asked me if I was ok.Given I have been ignored by cyclist colleagues when in the same position before I found it refreshing to be offered assistance and as the title of this piece says my faith has been restored in my cycling colleagues.

pioneer

Re: Faith restored....

Postby pioneer » 7 Oct 2009, 6:20pm

Not just other cyclists. Last time I got a puncture, I was in the process of fixing it when a motorist pulled up and asked if I needed help.

Jamesy

Postby Jamesy » 7 Oct 2009, 7:18pm

Probably a cyclist as well as a motorist.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". Robert G. Ingersoll

paulah

Postby paulah » 7 Oct 2009, 7:28pm

When I'm out at the weekends I only have to stop and glance at the map or tighten the brakes and someone - usually a roadie or a beardie - will stop and ask if I need help.
There shall be only one pannier

meic

Postby meic » 7 Oct 2009, 9:38pm

"A beardie" is that what we are called? :lol:

I think it is time for me to have a fit of self-righteous indignation and demand a bit more PC around here. :D
Yma o Hyd

pioneer

Postby pioneer » 7 Oct 2009, 10:03pm

I'm just pleased paulah didn't say "baldie!!!" :lol: