touring switzerland,germany

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Huge

touring switzerland,germany

Post by Huge »

My wife and I are touring switzerland using the Rhine route from Andermatt to Konstanz and from Konstanz through the black forest (germany) to Bingen near Mainz.
Has anyone out there completed the Swiss Rhine route. We have the route map and are just unsure if it involves major hill work.
Also could anyone suggest a route through the black forest.
ChrisP

Re:touring switzerland,germany

Post by ChrisP »

We camped near Freiberg some years ago and there was a good cycle path into the city centre following the river.. Other trips have revealed excellent paths along the major rivers. A freind did Switzerland with the CTC last autumn and remarked on good paths.
Sorry can't be more helpful.
NB
Touring info on these forums seems a bit in short supply. Are all the readers "credit card" riders???
Chris
JJF

Post by JJF »

You will find a description of the Swiss cycle routes on www.veloland.ch. This includes an indication of difficulty. English is found by clicking on e where it says f i e
I have not cycled the Rhine route but the Swiss routes I have tried were very well signed.
The cycle route on the German side of Lake Konstanz is good quality....but at times very busy.
CJ

Post by CJ »

From Andermatt you have to climb the Oberalp Pass, but it's not such a biggie and Andermatt is already rather high. Or you can even catch a train to the top, After which it should be downhill all the way to Konstanz! Not all the way actually. The cycle routes divert up the sides of the valley in places, but never climbs [i]too[i] seriously. You'll find an account of exactly how much climbing to expect on each section of the route - with or without rail assistance - on the <a href="http://www.veloland.ch/02_radwanderrouten/frameset_radwadern.html" target=_blank>website mentioned earlier<a> (that link should take you straight to the Rhine route in English).

The Black Forest is another matter. It's a very wrinkly lump of terrain. All routes through it involve a substantial amount of climbing with only a few opportunities of rail assistance. Get the ADFC contoured cycling map of the area and plan carefully.
Huge

Post by Huge »

Many thanks to everyone for the replies recieved.
Are the ADFC maps better than the Freytag series in relation to contours etc for the Black forest section
CJ

Post by CJ »

The ADFC/BVA maps are the thing to have for cycling in Germany. You want sheet number 24 as illustrated here.
Huge

Post by Huge »

Thanks cj. This may be a silly question, but can I get these maps here (maybe in Stanfords) or in germany only?
CJ

Post by CJ »

I think you can still get them from the CTC Shop (we certainly used to stock them when it was at HQ). Failing that, Stanfords do have them.