Front lights for 7 ml rural commute

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
nikruth

Front lights for 7 ml rural commute

Postby nikruth » 4 Nov 2009, 4:49pm

Im struggling to see the road ahead with my cateye oneshot(think thats what its called).I have a 7 mile very dark and pot holed road to cycle home at night. From a drivers point of view I am clearly visible,my problem is getting a good view of the road ahead to avoid potholes etc. Its particularly difficult the second after a car has driven past with full on head lights so I need to have a good view ahead before Im momentarily blinded.
I know lots of you are very clever with Dynamos etc but I would like some thing easy to charge,remove and store as I work at a college and Im not sure Dynamos fit the bill.
Any advise welcome.

yakdiver

Re: Front lights for 7 ml rural commute

Postby yakdiver » 4 Nov 2009, 5:05pm

I think you need to give us a budget on how much you want to spend
Alias Numbnuts

thekelticfringe

Postby thekelticfringe » 4 Nov 2009, 5:05pm

You might like to consider this: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25149

900 lumens is quite bright
Pedal faster, I hear banjos!

thekelticfringe

Postby thekelticfringe » 4 Nov 2009, 5:07pm

Oh and for the sake of full disclosure, I have no association whatsoever with the vendor - just heard lots of good things about the light and have one on order myself for exactly the same purpose as you
Pedal faster, I hear banjos!

nikruth

Postby nikruth » 4 Nov 2009, 5:09pm

I can see from the ctc shop I might have to spend a lot!!!Id rather not but I am hoping for less than £100 but can see that there are off the shelf lights for £250 and probably more.That said I value my life so dont want to come a cropper!

tatanab

Postby tatanab » 4 Nov 2009, 5:11pm

2 years ago I took to using B&M Ixon IQ battery light at something like £70 with batteries and charger. Previously I've used home brew and commercial remote battery types. For me the big thing about the Ixon is a properly shaped beam rather than a blast of light. I usually use it on its dim setting most of the time in dark lanes at upto 20mph, and use it on bright only in the very dark wood shaded bits.

You have a bit of an advantage using the same road so often - you get to know where most of the potholes are :wink:

anniesboy

Postby anniesboy » 4 Nov 2009, 5:41pm

I used something similar to this when I was a commuter,
http://tinyurl.com/ygvzzlb
The version I have used lead acid gel rechargeables but was cheap to run as you could buy batteries from Maplin as extra backup. All quite heavy but effective.

gilesjuk

Postby gilesjuk » 4 Nov 2009, 6:16pm

I use Ayups:

http://www.ayup-lights.com/

I'd not bother with any lighting system you can't get spares or upgrades for.

yakdiver

Postby yakdiver » 4 Nov 2009, 6:22pm

Alias Numbnuts

richardyorkshire

Postby richardyorkshire » 4 Nov 2009, 7:28pm

You may have already thought of this ... but I noticed that my front light didn't seem to illuminate the road ahead particularly well. Then I put fresh batteries in it, and now it is wonderfully bright and offers splendid illumination.
Wisest is he who knows that he knows nothing.

syklist

Postby syklist » 4 Nov 2009, 8:58pm

nikruth wrote:I can see from the ctc shop I might have to spend a lot!!!Id rather not but I am hoping for less than £100 but can see that there are off the shelf lights for £250 and probably more.That said I value my life so dont want to come a cropper!

I'd check out the B&M IXON IQ battery lamp. You can get them in Germany without batteries or charger from around Eur 65. They use AA batteries so you can use an existing battery charger and batteries. Light output is quite good and you get around 5 hours on the 40 lux setting from 2100 mAh AA's.

The other option is to consider a cheap dynohub front wheel, to be had from around Eur120 in Germany (for current model Shimano 3W dynamos and a bit less for other hub dynamos). Combine this with a front B&M lamp say an IQ Fly or IQ Cyo, and I'd suggest a Toplight Flat rear light and you will have a trouble free lighting system. Light output of these lamps as good as the IXON IQ or better. I have the IQ Cyo 60 lux lamp on my Brompton and it is fine for my daily commute. If you mount the Cyo low down like on a Brompton it shows up bumps and dips in the road surface really well.
HTH
Stan
So long and thanks for all the fish...

philg

Postby philg » 4 Nov 2009, 9:42pm

thekelticfringe wrote:You might like to consider this: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25149

900 lumens is quite bright

Yes although take all these claimed outputs with a massive pinch of salt - and the battery won't last very long!

I've been using these (3!) for the last year or so for my 10m commute, and they are great (and very cheap)

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16516

The Lithium 18650 rechargeable battery is far better than NiMH AA's I've used previously and gives well over 2 hours at max setting - about $3 each from the same store + smart charger at about $15

I have a Fenix torch and the build quality is the same at about 1/3 the cost.

I've indulged in Solidlights and Dinottes previously, and have taken a vow not to pay stupid money again for anything which will be obsolete in 12 months time (or broken in the Dinotte's case!)

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 5 Nov 2009, 7:12am

Or of course you can build your own if you're feeling particularly competent...
I've got a pair of Luxeon 3W LEDs up front (160 lumens a piece IIRC) with the correct driver electronics behind them (buckpuck takes the connections from the battery and then gives 1A, always - so they stay bright until the battery is really close to dead)

They're relatively cheap, and do a fabulous job of lighting my rural commute - although of course I have some "road legal" bits as well...

The advantage with the torch suggested is that it can be helmet mounted, allowing you to always see where you are looking, and of course the ability to "flash" oncoming drivers who have full beams on (not seen any yet this year actually...)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

squeaker

Postby squeaker » 5 Nov 2009, 8:40am

tatanab wrote:2 years ago I took to using B&M Ixon IQ battery light at something like £70 with batteries and charger. Previously I've used home brew and commercial remote battery types. For me the big thing about the Ixon is a properly shaped beam rather than a blast of light. I usually use it on its dim setting most of the time in dark lanes at upto 20mph, and use it on bright only in the very dark wood shaded bits.
+1 for the IQ and comment about beam shape, although if money is tight a Trelock 730 has a good beam shape for road use and is in-between the IQ on 'low' and 'full' power for brightness, IME.
As well as a sensible beam shape, a 'battery low' indicator is essential, IMHO.
"42"

mark-essex

Postby mark-essex » 5 Nov 2009, 11:16am

thekelticfringe wrote:Oh and for the sake of full disclosure, I have no association whatsoever with the vendor - just heard lots of good things about the light and have one on order myself for exactly the same purpose as you

A 10 mile section of my commute is on unlit country lanes, I ordered one of these, received it 2 days ago and cannot praise it enough, bloody brilliant (sic) and all for £54. I also have a Fenix LD20 mounted on my crash helmet but it's not really needed.