Front lights for 7 ml rural commute

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
gilesjuk

Re: Front lights for 7 ml rural commute

Postby gilesjuk » 5 Nov 2009, 11:42am

mark-essex wrote:A 10 mile section of my commute is on unlit country lanes, I ordered one of these, received it 2 days ago and cannot praise it enough, bloody brilliant (sic) and all for £54. I also have a Fenix LD20 mounted on my crash helmet but it's not really needed.

I'd buy another as a spare, they don't seem particularly well constructed. But if you buy two you should have bought something the lasts.

mark-essex

Postby mark-essex » 5 Nov 2009, 12:01pm

gilesjuk wrote:
mark-essex wrote:A 10 mile section of my commute is on unlit country lanes, I ordered one of these, received it 2 days ago and cannot praise it enough, bloody brilliant (sic) and all for £54. I also have a Fenix LD20 mounted on my crash helmet but it's not really needed.

I'd buy another as a spare, they don't seem particularly well constructed. But if you buy two you should have bought something the lasts.

The earlier ones weren't, the later ones are according to the extensive research I done. I'll let you know if / when I experience a problem.

mark-essex

Postby mark-essex » 5 Nov 2009, 12:26pm

mark-essex wrote:
gilesjuk wrote:

Out of interest, what failed on yours?

Stonehead

Postby Stonehead » 5 Nov 2009, 3:27pm

I tried a variety of less expensive lights before going for a two-lamp rechargeable system from Lumicycle: a 12w spot and 20w flood. I ride a cargo trike in a very rural part of NE Scotland, and found that many cheaper lamps didn't stand up to the jolts and bumps of our rough roads. Cheaper lights also weren't bright enough to spot hazards well ahead, particularly important when riding on wet or icy roads with longer braking distances.

The only problem with the Lumicycle lamps was that even though they're mounted low and aimed low, they still had a tendency to dazzle oncoming drivers as I passed over undulations in the road (although it did mean they could see me!). I solved that by masking the top quarter of each lamp lens with heat-resistant paint. (I did a lot of experimenting with electrical tape, trying different masking then riding down the road while the Other Half drove towards me in our car.) Some sort of cutaway hood would be better, but I haven't got around to it.

The Lumicycle lamps have also proved to be extremely rugged. Not only have they stood up to the normal bumps and thumps, but they survived when I was sideswiped by a van. One lamp took direct impact with the van and then with the road, suffering only scratching. It still works fine. (I wish my shoulder had been as tough.)

Anything else? Well, the Lumicycle battery can be charged off a 12v charger as well as mains so it means you can rig up a 12v battery with wind or solar charger, then charge the battery from that. (I also use the same system to charge other batteries.)

In addition to the Lumicycles, I have a Fenix LD20, helmet-mounted as Mark mentions but it's more backup than anything,

EDITED to add pics...

It's 16 metres from the lights to the wall.
Last edited by Stonehead on 10 Nov 2009, 1:11pm, edited 2 times in total.

dkmwt

Postby dkmwt » 5 Nov 2009, 7:30pm

I have 2 fenix torches L2D and E20 on my trike (1 each side) and that does me fine. Having said that I'm going to be greedy and put 2 more when I can afford it.
Cheers, Donald
Trice "Qnt 26" 26/39/55 F 10sp 11/36 R, now with Windwrap fairing.
ICE B1 34/50 F Capreo 9/32 R.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dkmwt/78674512/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1188814973

Gearoidmuar

Postby Gearoidmuar » 6 Nov 2009, 7:16am

if you can afford it, Cateye Tripleshot. Mine cost about 250 euro but I bought one in a Sale for my son for half that.
This gives you a great 25 yard beam in which you'll see clearly, for at least 4 hours.
A think about these is that after the summer you will have to replug the charger in about 10 times to get it to charge satisfactorally. After that it'll be fine for the winter. This is not in the instructions. I discovered this myself.

essexman

Postby essexman » 6 Nov 2009, 2:38pm

yeah i have a lumicycle HID light. Very expensive but worth it. I'm going to get one of the new LED systems so i can do the dunwhich dynamo. I like the variable power setting idea of the LED one. The lumicycle lights are top quality and very rugged.

The fenix torches are ok.

The B&M lights are good value not in the same power ballpark as say lumicycle but a good light for the money.

The ayups have had very good reviews and are a good competitor with the lumicycle. Way i figured with the lumicycle light is that i used to have all this expensive bike stuff that i only rode half the year. For £200 i felt safer at night than i did in the day.
I hate snow.

essexman

Postby essexman » 6 Nov 2009, 2:39pm

if i was looking to buy a fenix torch as a rural commute bike light which would people recommend? I had a look at the website and was too confused. :?
I hate snow.

Rasputin

Postby Rasputin » 6 Nov 2009, 7:39pm

I have pretty much the same commute - with completely unlit paths. I have just got a hope vision 1 light, easily good enough for this purpose. Makes trip home in the pitch dark a joy rather than an adventure! Uses AA batteries, I use rechargeables with 3 hrs on highest setting (would only use for the darkest bits)

mark-essex

Postby mark-essex » 7 Nov 2009, 5:18pm

essexman wrote:if i was looking to buy a fenix torch as a rural commute bike light which would people recommend? I had a look at the website and was too confused. :?

I have the LD20 fixed with a twofish lockblock:

http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/led_torches/fenix_LD20.html

Highly recommended, 2 hours off 2AAA's on full power, 3 lower output settings, and a mental strobe! I commuted on this alone on pitch black country lanes (Fen Lane areas if you know it...at 6am through Winter), it was well up to the job. It's now relegated to a helmet light as I have the Magicshine...it's overkill but I like gadgets!

Recommended by an Essex user! :D

PW

Postby PW » 7 Nov 2009, 6:14pm

My solution is expensive, but I reckon it's well worth it. Schmidt SON 28 dynohub with a B&M IQ Cyo headlamp. The secondary feed from the headlight goes to a rear lamp on the back mudguard and there's a backup Vista Lamp at the rear. In traffic I wear a spot beam LED headtorch which cost a fiver from Lidl - brilliant beam and runs for over a fortnight on 3 AAA rechargeables.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!

Colin63

Postby Colin63 » 7 Nov 2009, 6:43pm

Busch and Muller Ixon IQ will also get my vote. Fantastic brightness and a beam which covers the road well. A good long battery life on either full brightness or dimmed and it takes just a few hours to get it fully charged. I've found it to be excellent in the rain on wet roads too. I bought mine from Dot Bikes last year and think it was money well spent. I also use the B+M 4D toplight at the back. It attaches to the rear rack and offers very good rear visibility because of it's large built in reflector.

robertrabbit

Postby robertrabbit » 9 Nov 2009, 1:31pm

I do a 16 mile rural commute. I have a Fenix FK11 attached to my bars and a dealextreme 700 lumens (I think its a MTE P7) light on my helmet. Fenix cost £100 with batteries and charger, dealextreme cost £60 with batteries and another charger (one at work and one at home). These are 'cracking' and its amazing how many cars think its another motor vehicle; they wait around blind corners, dip headlights, slow down etc - it's great.

hamster

Postby hamster » 9 Nov 2009, 2:28pm

At the opposite end I ride regularly a 10 mile loop at night and use two Cateye HD220 lights, total cost £40 or so. Using two means I can switch one to flashing to warn oncoming vehicles that I am not a car 400yds away...two also allows a wider pool of light than just one.

Phil_Lee

Postby Phil_Lee » 15 Nov 2009, 2:08am

I'll add my recommendation for the B&M Ixon IQ.
The beam pattern means the light isn't wasted in areas that you don't need it, and on high setting it's good for over 20mph.

Tip for 2 lights: mount them one above the other, so you don't look like a car a quarter of a mile away.
In streetlit areas I use a blinkie as well as the B&M, but I don't think that helps at all out in the countryside, so it gets switched to steady.
Not that I need any extra light with the Ixon, but I had a light fail on me once, and having a 2nd one would give a better chance of avoiding the ditch if it ever happens again (or falls off).
Not that I think that's all that likely with the Ixon, but since I have the other light there anyway, it seems the best way to use it :)

I got my Ixon IQ here for €69.90 + €5.95 P&P - that's £67.75 at current exchange rate.
It arrived very quickly (about 36 hours after ordering).

Alternative or spare brackets are available, so you can use it on more than one bike or choose a different mounting position.
I like the fork crown mounting because it leaves space for a bar bag.

[edited to make url more friendly]