red means 'stop'

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
thekelticfringe

red means 'stop'

Post by thekelticfringe »

Anyone else think that a reminder to motorists that a red traffic light means "stop" and not "OK then, just a few more if you're quick" would be good? It's the kind of behaviour that's unhealthy when combined with advance stop boxes.
Pedal faster, I hear banjos!
kwackers

Re: red means 'stop'

Post by kwackers »

thekelticfringe wrote:Anyone else think that a reminder to motorists that a red traffic light means "stop" and not "OK then, just a few more if you're quick" would be good? It's the kind of behaviour that's unhealthy when combined with advance stop boxes.

You're mistaken. Only cyclists risk everyones life and limb by RLJ'ing.
thekelticfringe

He he - cyclists so inconvenience motorists and the haulage industry when they obstruct rlj's by adopting their rightful and designated position on the road.
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

kwackers wrote: Only cyclists risk everyones life and limb by RLJ'ing.

but the difference between cyclists and motorists doing it is that one group are law abiding, tax paying decent people going about their important business who are constantly paying more tax in fines because they're cash cows propping up the economy, the other group a lawless bunch of anarchists who've nothing better to do than hinder the first group.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

hubgearfreak wrote:
kwackers wrote: Only cyclists risk everyones life and limb by RLJ'ing.

but the difference between cyclists and motorists doing it is that one group are law abiding, tax paying decent people going about their important business who are constantly paying more tax in fines because they're cash cows propping up the economy, the other group a lawless bunch of anarchists who've nothing better to do than hinder the first group.

Well said that man!

Err,which is which :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

Personally I think traffic lights are awful things which in an ideal world wouldn't exist. There's so many of them due to the amount of traffic on the roads and the upshot of traffic lights is that they end up creating even more congestion. Once a traffic island gets too busy they add lights onto them, often full time lights which at night are pointless.

Traffic lights should have counters on them so you can see when they're about to change. So if you're waiting at a red light you can watch the numbers count down and know when its going to change.
downfader

Post by downfader »

gilesjuk wrote:Personally I think traffic lights are awful things which in an ideal world wouldn't exist. There's so many of them due to the amount of traffic on the roads and the upshot of traffic lights is that they end up creating even more congestion. Once a traffic island gets too busy they add lights onto them, often full time lights which at night are pointless.

Traffic lights should have counters on them so you can see when they're about to change. So if you're waiting at a red light you can watch the numbers count down and know when its going to change.

Japan has a system like this for pedestrian lights
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Amber also means stop.
frank9755

Post by frank9755 »

thirdcrank wrote:Amber also means stop.

Indeed. Reminds me of an argument I had with a motorist a few years ago.

He went through late at a pelican crossing as I was trying to cross the road. Inevitably it being London he had to stop a few yards further on so I walked up and rattled on his window and asked him if he would mind not driving through red lights. His indignant response was 'it was not red, it was orange!' which I regarded as a confession of guilt!
thekelticfringe

Eeerrrm - doesn't amber actually mean "stop if it is safe to do so" thereby introducing a degree of doubt/discretion that motorists and their lawyers exploit without mercy?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

This is the wording of the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions, 1994:

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1994/Uksi_1 ... htm#mdiv33

Reg 33

(e) the amber signal shall, when shown alone, convey the same prohibition as the red signal, except that, as respects any vehicle other than a tramcar which is so close to the stop line that it cannot safely be stopped without proceeding beyond the stop line, it shall convey the same indication as the green signal or green arrow signal which was shown immediately before it;

I'd be very surprised if anybody has been prosecuted for not stopping at amber within living memory so I doubt if any defence solicitor has needed to raise their bat.
thekelticfringe

Hum - so what happens to tramcars that are too close to the stop line to halt safely?
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

gilesjuk wrote:Traffic lights should have counters on them so you can see when they're about to change. So if you're waiting at a red light you can watch the numbers count down and know when its going to change.

What do you think red and Amber is for.
NUKe

Post by thirdcrank »

thekelticfringe wrote:Hum - so what happens to tramcars that are too close to the stop line to halt safely?

Tra [Law RTRA sects 5 & 8]

ms are an exception to all the standard traffic lights - they have their own signals, applying only to trams.

Highway Code:-

Tramways
You MUST NOT enter a road, lane or other route reserved for trams. Take extra care where trams run along the road. You should avoid driving directly on top of the rails and should take care where trams leave the main carriageway to enter the reserved route, to ensure you do not follow them. The width taken up by trams is often shown by tram lanes marked by white lines, yellow dots or by a different type of road surface. Diamond-shaped signs and white light signals give instructions to tram drivers only.

A link to what they look like:

http://www.ukmotorists.com/tram_signs.asp
thekelticfringe

Cheers - we are promised (threatened with?) trams up by me, so that is useful :)