Brompton by air

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
kg

Brompton by air

Postby kg » 17 Sep 2004, 3:35pm

Anyone transported a Brompton by air ? As there doesn't seem to be a Brompton bag i was wondering if removing the joint screws and then wrapping in bubble wrap would work.Folded the gears are protected anything left protruding gets extra wrap.Light and see through for security and tape in bag for repairs.Any snags foreseen ?

keepontriking

Re:Brompton by air

Postby keepontriking » 18 Sep 2004, 7:09pm

Carradice do a pretty dood Brompton bag.
See:
http://www.carradice.co.uk/folding-bikes.htm

Carole

Postby Carole » 18 Sep 2004, 10:34pm

I have just returned from a holiday taking my Brompton. The airline said it had to be bagged or boxed (what did they think I was going to do with a box on arrival!) I had bought a cover from Brompton which fitted well in the little bag provided which hung from the saddlebag, with room still for innertube and tools. However it wasn't very robust and did scuff where parts of the bike protruded. I also put a sleeve of bubble wrap over the folding pedal to prevent it from damaging the frame. The only thing that happened enroute was the chain jumped off the sprocket on the outward journey - easily sorted. I was glad I thought ahead and bought two strong luggage straps to put round, this not only helped me to retrieve it from the carosel but also helped the baggage handlers. Go for it, its absolute freedom when you arrive.

sandy

Postby sandy » 19 Sep 2004, 10:45pm

I have known of people using the original brompton cardboard box used when the bike is delivered to the bike shop, it isn't that big but I appreciate the problem of storage at the destination.
I have today seen a bag used by a dealer in the motorhome world into which a Brompton fits very well with room for some bubblewrap fro protection. This person may send us a sample in which case I will let you know-it would probably cost about £25-£30.

sandy

Postby sandy » 21 Sep 2004, 10:09am

Brompton do actually supply a bag which retails at £95. Haven't seen it but should imagine it is up to their usual high standard.

chris@illustration-online

Postby chris@illustration-online » 21 Sep 2004, 5:14pm

Last year I flew from Manchester to Hannover with a Brompton. All I did was to fold it down with an extra strap to make sure it didn't unfold but did not use a bag. I thought that if the handlers saw it was a bike they may handle with more care than if it was just another bagged item. Sure enough in HAnnover airport, the Brompton appeared from a side door by the conveyor belt without damage.

kg

Postby kg » 19 Oct 2004, 7:44pm

thanks for the suggestions folks. I found www.roofbox.co.uk on the web and for a reasonable £39.95 i have purchased a pretty nifty bag which, with a little bubble wrap on the bike, i feel will do the job very nicely. Quite presentable for taking bike into hotels etc as well.