Prison sentence

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Lusting my Pinnarello

Postby Lusting my Pinnarello » 4 Feb 2007, 8:34pm

A partial reason of the rubbish sentences that are passed down (I believe) is due to the over crowding of our prisons (I'm sure you have heard the news stories 1-2 weeks ago)

Why not utilise the small islands we have dotted around our glorious country. Stick the badist and smellyist criminals in the northerly coldest, windest islands , all the way to the damm stupid and pig arrogant teenagers - stick them in some islands in the south.... like Lundy, or Skokholm island. Place purpose built prisons there... Make the criminals build em.

that will take care of the lack of space. Then you can make sentences longer and more important, Harder.

Do the Crime, Do the Time!

Mrs Tortoise

Postby Mrs Tortoise » 4 Feb 2007, 11:39pm

Some of those islands are important for rare species of wildlife, so you'll have to build your prisons elsewhere!

I see the bloke who killed Zac got 5 years (CTC newsletter), so things are changing slowly.

Penfold
Location: Black Country in the heart of England (Gods country)

Postby Penfold » 5 Feb 2007, 12:43pm

Five years, not a bad sentence in the present climate (jails full etc) but still IMHO a paltry time to serve for the loss of a life, future, expectations etc

One has to wonder why, WHY ,is there a maximum sentence of 14 years for this offence, when as far as I can recall, no one has ever been given the max?

Does the fear of that 14 years put people off speeding, drink driving, carless or dangerous driving? Plainly not.

Thoughts with Zak carr's family
I keep my ideals, because in spite of everything,
I still believe that people are really good at heart.
- Anne Frank

There is a forgotten, nay almost forbidden word, which means more to me than any other. That word is England.
- Winston Churchill

David

Postby David » 6 Feb 2007, 8:59am

The problem with overcrowding is that the system is like a sausage machine, if somebody gets sent to prison, one person in means one person has to pop out at the other end, i.e. prisoners get released even earlier than they would have if there had been no overcrowding.

Why should we despoil our remote islands. I'm sure we could send our criminals to Afghanistan, let the Afghans build and manage the prisons. We could pay them, it would give them some revenue instead of opium, we currently pay £500.00 per week per prisoner, 70000 prisoners = £1.8billion per year, I'm sure Afghan could do with 1.5 billion so we save 300 million to give the prison officers a nice lump sum to retire, everybody wins

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 6 Feb 2007, 5:23pm

David wrote:The problem with overcrowding is that the system is like a sausage machine, if somebody gets sent to prison, one person in means one person has to pop out at the other end, i.e. prisoners get released even earlier than they would have if there had been no overcrowding.

Why should we despoil our remote islands. I'm sure we could send our criminals to Afghanistan, let the Afghans build and manage the prisons. We could pay them, it would give them some revenue instead of opium, we currently pay £500.00 per week per prisoner, 70000 prisoners = £1.8billion per year, I'm sure Afghan could do with 1.5 billion so we save 300 million to give the prison officers a nice lump sum to retire, everybody wins

Except the Afghans, they get our dross,Its our muck we've made so we should clean it up.The problem is the reoffending rate and thats because we don't rehabilitate when anyone is in prison.See my point on moped thugs thread.I'd be interested to know what you think.

Hugo

in the jug?

Postby Hugo » 6 Feb 2007, 6:58pm

Do prisoners in low security prisons have access to internet message boards and sites?

reohn might be talking to the "dross" and "muck" he mentions!

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 6 Feb 2007, 9:20pm

I may indeed, Hugo. and that would be another problem that would need solving.A problem easily solved by unplugging their comuters and getting them of their backsides doing some work.
But until the authorities do one doesn't know who ones talking to on the internet.

robbo

Re: in the jug?

Postby robbo » 6 Feb 2007, 10:42pm

[quote="Hugo"]Do prisoners in low security prisons have access to internet message boards and sites?

On the whole, no, they can ask the governor for permission to use the prison's computer, in very special circumstances, such as planning an appeal, but otherwise not. In a few prisons they are trying a system were the prisoners family can send an email instead of writing a letter, but even then the email is printed, sealed and given to the prisoner, who pays 20p for each email.

David

Postby David » 7 Feb 2007, 10:45am

reohn2 wrote:Except the Afghans, they get our dross,Its our muck we've made so we should clean it up.The problem is the reoffending rate and thats because we don't rehabilitate when anyone is in prison.See my point on moped thugs thread.I'd be interested to know what you think.

Sorry, should have said France instead :-)

I agree about working and rehabilitation 100%, however I don't think it's going to happen, the government would have to pump more money into the CJ system to get the staff on board to rehabilitate the prisoners. Ideally, we should remove the need to commit crime and go to prison, unfortunately we've been trying that for all of history and I don;'t think we're any nearer now. One thing I think could be done to cut down on petty crime is to legalise drugs, in fact I'd go as far as providing them free to anybody that wanted them. This would cut down the crime associated with drugs, allow the state to know who the users were and be able to attack the problem users.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 7 Feb 2007, 3:23pm

David wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Except the Afghans, they get our dross,Its our muck we've made so we should clean it up.The problem is the reoffending rate and thats because we don't rehabilitate when anyone is in prison.See my point on moped thugs thread.I'd be interested to know what you think.

Sorry, should have said France instead :-)

I agree about working and rehabilitation 100%, however I don't think it's going to happen, the government would have to pump more money into the CJ system to get the staff on board to rehabilitate the prisoners. Ideally, we should remove the need to commit crime and go to prison, unfortunately we've been trying that for all of history and I don;'t think we're any nearer now. One thing I think could be done to cut down on petty crime is to legalise drugs, in fact I'd go as far as providing them free to anybody that wanted them. This would cut down the crime associated with drugs, allow the state to know who the users were and be able to attack the problem users.

The French will get suspicious,theres already half of southern England living there!

Yes i would agree with the legalisation of drugs,taking the profit out of the hands of the gangsters and using it for rehab centres,setting up a drug users register that carries no slur on the user but helps them.

But which government wants to be the one that legalises class "A" drugs, again too radical and yet again the vulnerable suffer at the hands of criminals.

David

Postby David » 7 Feb 2007, 4:26pm

reohn2 wrote:But which government wants to be the one that legalises class "A" drugs, again too radical and yet again the vulnerable suffer at the hands of criminals.

Some of the biggest criminals wear suits and inhabit parliament and the stock exchange. I think if we started giving out free drugs, we'd certainly have a lot more tourists :-)

The old mantra that we get the government we deserve certainly rings true sometimes :-(

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 7 Feb 2007, 10:25pm

David wrote:
reohn2 wrote:But which government wants to be the one that legalises class "A" drugs, again too radical and yet again the vulnerable suffer at the hands of criminals.

Some of the biggest criminals wear suits and inhabit parliament and the stock exchange. I think if we started giving out free drugs, we'd certainly have a lot more tourists :-)

The old mantra that we get the government we deserve certainly rings true sometimes :-(

Spot on,on both counts