Anyone been riding in the great winter weather?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
paulcuthbert

Anyone been riding in the great winter weather?

Post by paulcuthbert »

Did a couple of Ks today. All icy roads. I love it!
Pain is temporary. Quitting is forever
mark a.

Re: Anyone been riding in the great winter weather?

Post by mark a. »

Mostly only the commute, but I did manage a short ride around the nearby common / woodland in the snow and ice over the weekend. Over the rides I've managed a couple of power slides, plenty of wheelspin and only one foot dab. Fortunately no front-wheel slips and no tumbles.

As you say, great fun. It's great to really enjoy being in control of a knife-edge handling situation and of course the scenery is gorgeous in the snow.
Big John

Post by Big John »

Currently sporting some fairly unpleasant gravel rash following an unexpected A***e/pavement interface on the Tyne Bridge. I'm taking the bus (and spending a lot of time standing up at work)
-walsh-

Post by -walsh- »

yep, no sign of snow but plenty of ice, sun is shining, if it wasnt for the low temperature it could be summer!
james01

Post by james01 »

I use an old mountain bike with low-pressure tyres, low saddle, and clip-free pedals for essential trips. I'd like to get studded tyres but there are usually only a couple of days per year when they're needed so I can't really justify them.
asterix

Post by asterix »

Yes, but I'm verra careful.. I've already pushed the envelope luckwise. Looking forward to the great thaw in a few days.
grognut

Post by grognut »

Newbury got hit pretty bad Monday.

It was great cycling (carefully)home past the queues of traffic. I used the cyclepath because the road was full of stationary cars.
A bit icy on Tuesday, I actually used the cyclepath again because it had a covering of snow over the ice giving a bit of grip. The road had ice bumps on it and after a few slips (but no falls) I decided the path was the safest option.

A tad cold this morning -7degC and foggy. Made my ears and cheeks burn a bit but luckily it's only 2miles to work.
It's raining now so I guess all the excitement is over.

Cheers
robertrabbit

Post by robertrabbit »

grognut wrote:It's raining now so I guess all the excitement is over.

I, for one, will be pleased when it is all over. My rural commute is too long and on untreated roads to risk in this weather so I haven't been out since last week and am getting really grumpy - and not just :( grumpy but :cry: grumpy
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Cycled everyday since the snow started. My rural commute has meant that I have fitted flat pedals and had to walk the worst bits but cycling is certainly still possible round here if you take account of the conditions it can be fun and some of the views can be breath taking.

The secret of enjoyable winter riding is to be prepared, dress appropriately, understand the conditions. Know where the ice is likely to be,

We seem to be having a big thaw here at the moment. Its completely different to this morning.
NUKe

Post by grognut »

Hi,

Robertrabbit: I guess I'm lucky in that I have an urban commute on barely treated roads which are not to bad with care. But I do simpathise with those who have a rural commute which can be very treacherous.

NUKe: My commute is along some very boring roads and no sunshine to make look even a bit pretty.

Cheers
Si

Post by Si »

Bunged my studded tyres on the other night ready to attack the ice - been ill ever since :cry:

Will try again tomorrow.
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Been stuck with walking, no suitable bike for this weather :( I'll make sure that by the end of summer I've cobbled together a fat-tyre MTB ready for next winter. I'm determined not to miss out on all the fun next time :lol:
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

I did'nt cycle to work last Wednesday because of the bad weather. By Thursday I 'pulled a muscle' whilst streaching to drag Christmas presents from out of their hiding place and have been rather uncomfortable and with reduced back movement. Now the roads are trecherous. So I have not been my bike for a week. Getting a bit itchy :(
Alan
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

james01 wrote:I use an old mountain bike with low-pressure tyres, low saddle, and clip-free pedals ...

Me too. As long as you don't need to power through a pile of snow or go up and down steep hills, this works well. It's no use on black ice but good for compacted or loose snow. It's not so different from walking, except that if you slip, you slip sideways and land on your hip and shoulder, not your bare hands and head.
Bill D

Post by Bill D »

Yesterday I got the car out after an hour spent shovelling and gritting, drove it for 5 miles at very slow speed to our local town, passing 2 cars 'parked' in ditches (one almost upside down) on hilly sections. Main roads not gritted at all. Only just made it into town, TBH, where I spotted a touring cyclist with bike and luggage, standing under market hall looking at a map. It was minus 6 degrees at the time. Well done mate, whoever you are, and I hope you arrived in one piece. I'm of an age now where I don't bounce as well as I used to so I avoid riding when it's icy.