Waterproof Jacket < £60 budget - Recommendations

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
paulcuthbert

Waterproof Jacket < £60 budget - Recommendations

Post by paulcuthbert »

Can anyone recommend a decent Waterproof jacket that is lightweight, preferably not fluorescent yellow (eurgh!!) and packable that I could get for less than 60 quid? I'd like to use it in winter with layers underneath, as well as if there's a shower when I'm out on my rides in summer

Thanks
Pain is temporary. Quitting is forever
piedwagtail91

Re: Waterproof Jacket < £60 budget - Recommendations

Post by piedwagtail91 »

a clubmate recommended one of these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=34916#ProductDescription
and i've been pretty impressed with mine. packs down to the size of a tennis ball.
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

I have a Polaris Aqualite jacket. To be honest I've hardly worn it since purchasing it earlier this year - which is good news as I avoided the predicted summer showers, but means I can't give a definate recommendation :oops: . But it is certainly within your budget - about £35, and packs down small. Available in a hi viz and a nice blue!

For something a bit heavier, Corribne Dennis Hurricane jacket is at the £60 mark and is seems a very well specified touring/winter style jacket. It's on my shortlist for when my Altura needs replacing.... Not sure about the colour range.

Good luck with your search.
mick146

Post by mick146 »

For years I've used a Berghaus hiking jacket...waterproof (very),and breathable,so you don't get wet with your own sweat.I don't think it's absolutely windproof,but in cold weather I put on plenty of layers underneath....I'm not a high speed cyclist.I also use it in Summer for rainy rides and don't get too hot.

It's black,and looks decent enough for walking round town shopping...I've never had cause to complain...except that on a couple of occasions the material at the sides of the pockets jammed in the zip,but with a bit of swearing and a few threats it was soon free....the same jacket now costs about £65,but I've seen them on offer for £50.
Old enough to know better.
paulcuthbert

Post by paulcuthbert »

Thanks for the tips.

Been reading around the subject, and the Altura Pocket Rocket stands out as a good buy. Does anyone own one? Seems to be useful for wet winter weather riding (I wear a few layers) but also handy for having on summer rides as a "just-in-case"
pwward

Post by pwward »

I'd recommend the Jeantex Nyons jacket. I hate day-glo Derek stuff too. Their (Jeantex) colours are bright and cheery not day glo. They are light, pretty tough, breathe well and are fine for winter and summer and for walking in. Nice soft neck collar and decent hood too. You can buy them on the internet if you do a Google search.
eltonioni

Post by eltonioni »

I picked up a Polaris Satellite jacket from JE James http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/polaris- ... 35620.html and it's been the best £30 I could have spent with all the features of a jacket twice the price. It looks like its an end of line price though.
ian

Post by ian »

I'm interested in a new jacket too (something to do with this winter perchance?), and have checked out the links, but.... is anyone aware of a plain black waterproof jacket that is good for cycling - be it designed for cycling or not - in fact I'd prefer if it was not, as what I am after is something without all the irritating cycling designs, logos, reflective piping and features that make them look silly to me. I've been looking for ages..
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Shop around

At the moment Adidas outlets, TKMaxx, Blacks and others have Goretex jackets suitable for cycling at about the £60 mark
rbrian

Post by rbrian »

ian wrote:I'm interested in a new jacket too (something to do with this winter perchance?), and have checked out the links, but.... is anyone aware of a plain black waterproof jacket that is good for cycling - be it designed for cycling or not - in fact I'd prefer if it was not, as what I am after is something without all the irritating cycling designs, logos, reflective piping and features that make them look silly to me. I've been looking for ages..

There's nothing wrong with reflective piping, it doesn't show up except under headlights. Many walking jackets have piping too - well mine does, and it certainly isn't designed for cycling, though that's mostly what I wear it for. I've been around the shops and in the pub wearing it too, and not noticed anyone looking at me.
Cynic? No, an optimist tempered by experience.
ian

Post by ian »

Your jacket actually looks pretty good. As you are from Aberdeenshire I guess it's waterproof capabilities have been tested, yes?
rbrian

Post by rbrian »

It doesn't rain as much as you might expect in Aberdeen, wrong side of the mountains for that. It does get proper cold though - not above -5C today, and it felt warm!

As to the jacket, it is reasonably waterproof, if not quite as breathable as it could be. Unless of course it is not very waterproof but very breathable, it's hard to say - either way I end up slightly damp, but by no means wet. It is windproof though.
Cynic? No, an optimist tempered by experience.
ian

Post by ian »

A little more than the £60 budget but it looks good to me...

http://www.millets.co.uk/clothing/men/jackets/waterproof-lightweight/product/040710.html
Tako

Post by Tako »

ian wrote:A little more than the £60 budget but it looks good to me...

http://www.millets.co.uk/clothing/men/jackets/waterproof-lightweight/product/040710.html

Good find!

I am returning my Rab jacket after finding the cut was a big let down.
paulcuthbert

Post by paulcuthbert »

I went for this one in the end

Seems good for £30- and will be useful in the summer months to have with me on my rides too. Thanks to whoever recommended Montane :)