At last I'm back on the road

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Colin63

At last I'm back on the road

Postby Colin63 » 23 Jan 2010, 3:36pm

After all the ice of the first part of the month and various commitments since it cleared which have prevented me from riding (apart from one day when I did wimp out :oops: ) I finally got back on the bike for the first time in 2010 today. It was cold and foggy and I rode from Lancaster up the valley, through Wray and Wennington out Ingleton. A quick whiz up the A65 to Kirby Lonsdale and the back via Burrow With Burrow and Hornby. 40 miles of mixed terrain. It's wonderful to be back on the saddle, although after such a long break my knees know the've exercised.
I got to try out some new kit too. My Baa Baa skull cap was absolutely superb. I have very warm ears indeed. The Seal Skinz thermal socks didn't perform too well. My toes are numb, but probably better than they would have been in the biting cold had I not used them. It was also the first time I've ridden using the M324 pedals I put on the Mercian last week (£29.99 from CRC). I've finally moved into the modern era and gone clipless. I really liked them. So all in all an excellent day out.

-walsh-

Re: At last I'm back on the road

Postby -walsh- » 23 Jan 2010, 4:28pm

ah good good, I went out on my first "proper" ride today, absolutley wonderful. And like you said great to be back in the saddle!

cycleruk

Postby cycleruk » 23 Jan 2010, 5:16pm

Colin do you wear over-shoes.
I use Lidl ones and they certainly help to keep my feet warmer than without.

I didn't go out today as it was very misty. Looks like Monday might be dry in our area. :roll:
There's no such thing as a tailwind.
It's either a headwind, or you're going well.

Colin63

Postby Colin63 » 23 Jan 2010, 5:32pm

cycleruk wrote:Colin do you wear over-shoes.

I didn't go out today as it was very misty. Looks like Monday might be dry in our area. :roll:

I don't, but I think I'll be buying some. I'll check the cheapo shops to see if they have any offers. I must say that the Aldi winter gloves I was wearing kept my fingers fantastically warm.

Looks like drizzle tomorrow. I may go for a spin on the Brompton. I've stiffened it up and I hope that I'll find the ride more comfortable that I have to date.

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 24 Jan 2010, 5:17am

It's great to get out again isn't. We did our Scorton, Boundary, Newton Waddington, Chipping, Scorton circuit yesterday, totally cream-crackered now. The mist disappeared as we climbed Boundary, then we descended back into it on the drop in to Waddington, then it kept coming and going for the rest of the ride. I suddenly got very cold hands towards the end not something I generally suffer from.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 24 Jan 2010, 8:09am

Great to be out and pedalling in the Real World!
I'm off out later this morning, Mercian's ready and willing.

I'll probably do a favourite circuit of mine:
Callington/Pensilva/Upton Cross/Launceston/Milton Abbot/Lamerton - and finish up at the pub!
Mick F. Cornwall

cycleruk

Postby cycleruk » 25 Jan 2010, 5:39pm

Colin63 wrote:
cycleruk wrote:Colin do you wear over-shoes.

I don't, but I think I'll be buying some. I'll check the cheapo shops to see if they have any offers. I must say that the Aldi winter gloves I was wearing kept my fingers fantastically warm.

Looks like drizzle tomorrow. I may go for a spin on the Brompton. I've stiffened it up and I hope that I'll find the ride more comfortable that I have to date.

Even my feet were feeling the cold today.
Out around the Quernmore valley and the promised sunshine never even appeared. Temperature in the 2C to 3C range.
Feet felt like the heat was being sucked out through the cleats and pedals. Not bad but noticeable.
Called in at the new cafe on the Lancaster / Glasson cycleway. (Condor Green end.)
There's no such thing as a tailwind.
It's either a headwind, or you're going well.

patricktaylor

Postby patricktaylor » 25 Jan 2010, 11:07pm

Me too (back on the road). Keener than ever - which makes me think an enforced abstinence once in a while is actually a good thing. Cycling has a tendency to be narcotic - excessive use can lead to addiction, and I'd rather do it of my own free will.

Cove Scout

Postby Cove Scout » 26 Jan 2010, 11:50am

Welcome back. I agree with the others about overshoes. They make a huge difference.

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 26 Jan 2010, 1:45pm

Cove Scout wrote:Welcome back. I agree with the others about overshoes. They make a huge difference.

Commuting through all weathers I always have them in my rack bag - Mine are cheap neoprene ones, so if it's seriously wet I'll put a supermarket bag over each shoe, under the overshoe - Feet stay toasty warm and dry.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Mansfield Marauder

Postby Mansfield Marauder » 26 Jan 2010, 10:19pm

My first day back on the bike was a week today (Tuesday) had the oppurtunity to wear my new over shoes and nice WARM tights. Only problem now is if it's not below zero I get too hot.
Mansfield Moon Flea
May all your rides be punctureless

fimm

Postby fimm » 28 Jan 2010, 10:25am

[XAP]Bob wrote:Commuting through all weathers I always have them in my rack bag - Mine are cheap neoprene ones, so if it's seriously wet I'll put a supermarket bag over each shoe, under the overshoe - Feet stay toasty warm and dry.

Oh, that's a neat idea - much better than plastic bags inside your shoes, which must be really sweaty. Though (thinking as I type) one would need to make a hole for cleats, if one has them. Still worth a try!
Of course it's a race...

Flinders

Postby Flinders » 28 Jan 2010, 12:38pm

Got out for the first time in ages last week, to try out my Christmas prezzies too. Not being as strong as you lot anyway, and being out of practice, I did a bit under 20 miles, but thorougly loved it- I felt more relaxed than I had done for ages- I'd really been missing getting out there.
My previously icy feet (I cycle in spinning shoes, which have holes!) ended up almost too hot with overshoes and merino socks. Mt feet wish I'd has these long ago, or so they tell me. :wink:
...and I can't remember who here recommended Groundforce tops for the winter, but whoever you are, many thanks. I add my own recommendations!

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 29 Jan 2010, 9:37am

fimm wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:Commuting through all weathers I always have them in my rack bag - Mine are cheap neoprene ones, so if it's seriously wet I'll put a supermarket bag over each shoe, under the overshoe - Feet stay toasty warm and dry.

Oh, that's a neat idea - much better than plastic bags inside your shoes, which must be really sweaty. Though (thinking as I type) one would need to make a hole for cleats, if one has them. Still worth a try!

Supermarket bags are thin enough that I don't make holes for the cleats - after a couple of journeys there are some little holes in there, but then I replace the bag...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.