unbelievable !!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
fossil

unbelievable !!

Post by fossil »

i had to go to work today in the car :evil: , and out from Bognor to Chichester is 2.5 miles of un-lit road

I saw 5 people on bikes with NO light's , but were wearing hi-vis vest's !!!!!

yes i could see them , but they shurly could not see properly where they were going , only by the lights of the passing traffic , and i know there are pot holes down that stretch of road , if they were to hit one and fall infront of a car ????
Cunobelin

Re: unbelievable !!

Post by Cunobelin »

Arguably most bicycle light would not show the potholes either!
Jamesy

Post by Jamesy »

Cunobelin wrote:Arguably most bicycle light would not show the potholes either!

Still no excuse for riding without lights!

When did riding a bicycle after dark without lights become legal?
I only ask as the police in this neck of the woods completely ignore unlit cyclists.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". Robert G. Ingersoll
mill4six

Post by mill4six »

Very selfish of them, one of those bicycles could put a nasty scratch on my bumper!
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

Clearly it's not because they aren't thinking about being seen, since they have bothered to buy and wear bin man suits... so, the only logical conclusion is that people feel high viz is more effective than lighting (or that they all had flat batteries). Hrm..! :?
mark a.

Post by mark a. »

I see that very regularly too. I presume it's because a high-viz vest is cheaper (especially if it's free from work, which is what I guess is often the case where I commute) than lights and don't need batteries.

I don't fully understand their thought processes though - I'd be terrified if I didn't have my lights on me in the dark.
fossil

Post by fossil »

mark a. wrote:I see that very regularly too. I presume it's because a high-viz vest is cheaper (especially if it's free from work, which is what I guess is often the case where I commute) than lights and don't need batteries.

I don't fully understand their thought processes though - I'd be terrified if I didn't have my lights on me in the dark.

i have to agree on this
beachcomber

Post by beachcomber »

Jamesy wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:Arguably most bicycle light would not show the potholes either![/quote

When did riding a bicycle after dark without lights become legal?
I only ask as the police in this neck of the woods completely ignore unlit cyclists.

When the Police do stop a cyclist and warn them or report them for not having lights, they usually get some smart Alec remark like, "Haven't you got anything better to do ?" Or "Shouldn't you be out catching muggers and rapists?"

They can't win :roll:
Mansfield Marauder

Post by Mansfield Marauder »

Anybody see the report in the papers about the police mn who did a motorist stood in traffic for blowing his nose.
Mansfield Moon Flea
May all your rides be punctureless
-walsh-

Post by -walsh- »

whats with these green lights? driving to work today I passed a few cyclists that had really dim green flashing lights.
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

-walsh- wrote:whats with these green lights? driving to work today I passed a few cyclists that had really dim green flashing lights.

Very old Cateye front lights, at a guess (white LEDs hadn't been developed yet). I have a set from the earlyish 90s, dreadful things. Head-on, brand new batteries, pointing at your eyes, they barely pass muster. I keep them for the same reason I kept the old Ever Ready Front Guard - curiosity :roll:
meic

Post by meic »

I bought a combined LED front light and BS reflector unit.
I thought I would put it in place of my front reflector and just leave it there for those times when I got caught out too late without taking my lights.
When I turned it on it had a green LED light that was so feeble it was unbelievable. I guess some people would have gone and used it anyway.
I put it to one side thinking possibly one day I can stick a more powerful LED in but I will not use it as it is.
Yma o Hyd
Browser
Location: Crowland, South Lincs (out where missionaries fear to tread!)

Post by Browser »

I started a topic on this on Cyclechat, as they use the term 'ninja' to describe the modern all-black-clad suicidal loons who try at every opportunity to become a statistic whilst riding at night.
I suggested a sub-category of 'hi-viz ninja' because I see a lot of them herabouts. They seem to think that hi-viz is a superb substitute for lights :?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I find my hi Vis garb an effective invisibility cloak... :evil:
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Oddly, the statistics don't really seem to support the importance of lights. I agree with the OP - it would scare me not being able to see the potholes. However, the percentage of cyclists involved in accidents who lack lights seems to be very low, to the point of suggesting that you are more likely to get hit if you have them.

Maybe ninja cyclists annoy motorists so much that they actually get a reaction to their presence, which is the main thing in cycle safety :?

I think I'll stick to my lights though...