Caught on Google Streetview with my bike!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
john_roberts

Caught on Google Streetview with my bike!

Post by john_roberts »

Hi :D

Wasn't sure where to post this so feel free to move it! I was cycling through Clumber Park last year and had stopped for a rest when a black car with a rather strange mirrored device on its roof drove past. I assumed it to be something to do with Google Streetview, and I wasn't wrong, as just over 9 months later I have appeared!

If anyone is interested, go to Google Maps and search for 'Freeboard Ln, S80 3' then zoom in until you can see the writing 'Freeboard Ln' on the map, scroll a little so that the bottom left end of the lane is in the centre of the page, then click on the little orange streetview man and drag him to near the end of the road that is highlighted, close to the junction with Freeboard Lane. If you see some gates in Streetview you want to be pointing away from them, about 5 or 6 mouse clicks along the lane is a clearing on the right hand side, and that was where I was lurking on the 28th May last year!

Just a bit of fun :D
Last edited by john_roberts on 26 Feb 2010, 7:15pm, edited 1 time in total.
czarnyukradkiemrowerdwa
[XAP]Bob

Re: Caught on Google Streetview with my bike!

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Do you feel sufficiently blurred?

Clumber is a nice place to be though...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Fame at last!!!!! :D
Rule 63

Cycle Lanes. These are marked by a white VAN (which may be broken) along the carriageway (see Rule 140). Keep within the lane when practicable, watch out for Anna Meares elbows.
skrx

Post by skrx »

Link (There's a "link" button near the top-right of the image.)

Why was this trail/track chosen for StreetView? Anything special about it?
corshamjim

Post by corshamjim »

Where better to be found on a bicycle? :D

The only time I've ever ridden a tandem is when my twin sister and her family met up with me there and we hired some bikes including the tandem. If I recall Mike towed the children behind a MTB in a Burley trailer. It was great to have a go on the tandem without worrying too much about traffic.
ToggleChain Tourist - http://www.togglechaintour.co.uk/
sandytracker

Post by sandytracker »

How did you find out you were on it?
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

Google keep the unblurred photos for quite some time.
john_roberts

Post by john_roberts »

skrx wrote:Link (There's a "link" button near the top-right of the image.)

Why was this trail/track chosen for StreetView? Anything special about it?

Hi skrx, I wasn't aware of the link so thanks for posting it. Clumber Park is great for cycling although the car was actually driving along one of the tarmac roads

sandytracker wrote:How did you find out you were on it?

Hi, as I mentioned I assumed this weird black car to be photographing Clumber Park for streetview way back then. Just by chance I was looking at something else today on Google maps when I noticed streetview was available for the area, and I remembered the car. I had a look and hey presto - there I was!
czarnyukradkiemrowerdwa
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

Luckily enough they have not reached the back of beyond i call home yet
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
sungod

Post by sungod »

i used to be visible on google earth in the aerial view, laying on the roof sunbathing

the image was from years ago when we still had summers in the uk, they updated since then and now i'm gone, fame is indeed fleeting
life's a sprint
hulver

Post by hulver »

sungod wrote:i used to be visible on google earth in the aerial view, laying on the roof sunbathing

the image was from years ago when we still had summers in the uk, they updated since then and now i'm gone, fame is indeed fleeting

If you download the google earth application, you can pick which pictures you want to see on a time line.
Bill Reynolds

Post by Bill Reynolds »

Hello, I was caught by this camera as well though not on my bike! I knew what that strange car with the high up camera was straight away! I was walking past the local cycle shop and gave the camera the 'Two Finger' salute!! The other night I walked into our home office to find my wife looking at the camera site.... and asked her to look at the road where the camera car passed me by. I was MOST disappointed to find I did not move my hand quick enough as the camera just showed me just walking along.....Boo!
AlbionLass

Post by AlbionLass »

One of my cats is on Streetview in her usual spot in the front bedroom window.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm on streetview in my usual position - setting the world right with one of my neighbours. 8)