Abused For Defending a Group of Cyclist's Whilst Driving

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
TheBrick

Re: Abused For Defending a Group of Cyclist's Whilst Driving

Post by TheBrick »

Mick F wrote:Large groups of cyclists should spread out to allow motor vehicles to overtake in stages. A long line is dangerous and to ride two-abreast can be seen as antagonistic even though it is actually safer.

By spreading out and riding in single file makes the poor motor vehicle driver feel happier as he can see far enough ahead, and has the chance to overtake.

+1 on any road without a looong clear straight a line of even just 5 cyclist can be very difficult to overtake, large groups need to split with decent gap between the group to allow safe passing
konaboy2275

Post by konaboy2275 »

Phil_Lee wrote:
konaboy2275 wrote:
When I say frequently I mean when there was an obvious delay being caused by myself which in Scotland and Wales isn't too often as the roads are qieter and often other traffic is stuck further back behind a Shearings coach! I have been stuck behind cyclists in the Lakes for several miles in places where it is just too narrow to pass even a single cyclist and give adequate room. All I'm saying is a bit of courtesy never harmed anyone and as roads get busier and busier shouldn't we advocate cooperative rather than stubborn 'It's my piece of the road' mentalities?

Also as a LGV driver in a past life - they are limited by law to 40mph on single carriageways, 50 on dual and 60 on motorways so complaining about being held up by LGV driver (pressumably you were in a car) who is obeying the law and may struggle to find a safe place to allow traffic past seems a bit out of place with the rest of your comments.

Everything you say about LGVs applies to cycles, except that the law governing their top speed is physics, and they are far more vulnerable.

And bikes aren't allowed on the motorway! It is also easier for a bicycle to find a safe place to allow traffic past on the odd occassions this might be necessary whether this be stopping or just slowing down momentarily. I'm not saying this is right or fair but I would just rather let a frustrated motorist past me than have them do something stupid or dangerous caused by their obsession with getting to their destination 30 seconds sooner.
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

+1 - I let people past all the time, it is the other side of the coin given that my default position physically prevents them from making an (unsafe) overtake.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

EdinburghFixed wrote:+1 - I let people past all the time, it is the other side of the coin given that my default position physically prevents them from making an (unsafe) overtake.

+1

I have a couple of "regular" places for doing this, one is a bus stop after cresting a reasonable climb (road drops a lot to go under a railway bridge), I get a good look at the road ahead, and if there is a steady stream of traffic then I'll pop into the bus stop and let vehicles past, else I'll signal the safe overtaking opportunity.

I encounter coaches frequently on one of the country road stretches - I'll often wave them by and stop pedalling to give them a way past - cars are fine, but it's much harder for coaches to overtake.

OTOH - Last night I was about to pull into a side road (roadworks so it's guaranteed clear) to let people overtake after a short hill. I hadn't been holding them up for more than 10-15 seconds, but they had appeared in quite a lump, and the next section of road is urban, narrow and uphill. But then one of them (not the one directly behind me) decided that vigorous use of the horn was in order, so I didn't bother.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
asterix

Post by asterix »

In reality, the amount of time motorists spend being held up cyclists is tiny. It really is. Drivers massively overestimate the benefit of being able to drive 10 or even 20 mph faster on an average car journey (a stupidly short distance anyway). And if you drive like testosterone on steroids your mind will be pretty scrambled for some time after you arrive anyway. The fact is that car driving is very much an emotional experience rather than a logical process. Car are sold by appealing to emotions: just watch the ads!

Next month I will do another 750 mile trip to Southern France in my loaded up van, max speed 70mph, leisurely acceleration, so much more relaxing than taking the car (which couldn't carry a load of scaffolding anyway!).
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

asterix wrote:In reality, the amount of time motorists spend being held up cyclists is tiny. It really is. Drivers massively overestimate the benefit of being able to drive 10 or even 20 mph faster on an average car journey (a stupidly short distance anyway). And if you drive like testosterone on steroids your mind will be pretty scrambled for some time after you arrive anyway. The fact is that car driving is very much an emotional experience rather than a logical process. Car are sold by appealing to emotions: just watch the ads!

Next month I will do another 750 mile trip to Southern France in my loaded up van, max speed 70mph, leisurely acceleration, so much more relaxing than taking the car (which couldn't carry a load of scaffolding anyway!).

I used to commute 70 miles each way on the A14 - I actually spent a couple of months trying different tactics (driving hard, driving really gently - doing 80 (cough) doing 60, lane switching, just sitting in it) and discovered that there was painfully little difference I could make to my journey time. I could however have a profound effect on my state of mind when I got out of the car!
I ended up cruising most of the way, having a little fun at one roundabout on the A14, and enjoying a nice stretch of open country road at one end of the journey - I was then generally within 5 minutes of the "best" arrival time I could have achieved, but relaxed...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.