waterproofs

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mrs Tortoise

waterproofs

Post by Mrs Tortoise »

Went out with the W.Dorset group today, all three of us girls (no men), it ppppprecipitated all over us. Apart from my waterproof jacket, which i was wearing, I left my w'proofs (trousers & overshoes) in my saddle bag, 'cos I couldn't be bothered to stop to put them on. I got someone damp everywhere but in my enthusiasm.

Do others do this, or am I alone in my insanity?
stinningspan

Re:waterproofs

Post by stinningspan »

Ahh - there is something extremely pleasant and romantic about riding in adverse conditions. As a teenager my mum would often berate me with "you'll catch your death" if I was out in the wet but I loved it and still do. And the best part - the hot shower or bath when you get in the warm. As a kid it was the open fire - baths & boys - get real I'd rather smell like a sack of spuds :-)

Some of my most memorable, and fondly remembered at that, rides have been in adverse conditions. You just don't get that same feeling in a car - you just aint in it.

Mrs T - You know you are alive and that is priceless :-)
Andy Tallis

Post by Andy Tallis »

Bad weather always seems a lot worse to me in a car than it does on the bike. The only conditions that I REALLY find difficult is dar and raining, as I can't wear my glasses in such conditions.

I don't use overtrousers at all, but I've done a similar thing with overshoes. When camping this summer I also managed to lie half awake and slightly too cold for about an hour before realising there was a nice wooly hat 8 inches from me, then put it on and get another bit of sleep before the alarm went off at 7 and I had to get up and start riding. I guess it's a similar kind of thing. I also jogged to alecture pushing my bike because I got a puncture 50 yards from home but for some reason was too daft to go back and get my other bike.

Andy :-)
Mick F

Post by Mick F »

I'm with you on this one. I hate having to stop and put stuff on. I'd rather get the clothing right before setting out!

On a day's ride, that can't be done, I know, but a study of the weather forcast can at least give you an idea. A good, lightweight Goretex top is about it with me. That, and layers, gloves and a skull cap under my helmet.

Once you're wet, you're wet! Skin's waterproof! If you're cold, keep spinning those pedals!

Mick F. Cornwall
handallyingharry

Post by handallyingharry »

I use really cheap waterproofs; they are just the same as expensive, but with a different name.
I get soaked inside at this time of year, from wearing too many layers.

I often get sufficiently warm not to get wet even though it is raining, but in yesterday's local conditions in Purbeck (mrs Tortoise) a soaking to the "enthusiasm" must have been the order of the day.

There is a considrable skill in not getting wet,
which most cyclists are unaware of..... gaiters and good fitting hoods.
dai

Post by dai »

Glad I'm not the only one that gets pleasure from bad weather riding - love it all except high winds.
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Usually carry a kagoule with me but it has got to be persistantly hissing it down before I put it on as for leggings I wear shorts no matter what so do not bother. Once cycled from Coventry to a YH in the Forest of Dean it rained from Coventry to Worcester about three hours then dried off in the afternoon arrived at YH fine.
Mrs Tortoise

Post by Mrs Tortoise »

The overshoes were brand new, so I couldn't get them wet, could I?
Tim Cox

Post by Tim Cox »

There is no such thing as the perfect waterproof, so have a variety of items at home which I put on according to conditions. A cycle cape is good in sudden heavy showers but dangerous in high winds and in any case I only use it on a bicycle with handlebar gear controls. Living in the hilly South Hams area of Devon I naturally sweat a lot whilst climbing with the result that I feel that I get as wet inside the waterproofs as I would have done outside. Protecting oneself from getting cold is the most important thing. Sealskin gloves and socks are good for this. Rain-legs - partial leggings which protect the top part of ones legs are excellent and can be rolled up and worn around ones waist when not in use.
Muffin

Post by Muffin »

I must admit I don’t like getting wet on the way to work but don’t mind on the way home as I know a hot shower and change of clothes awaits me.

Best memory I have is a downpour a few summers ago where I was out with cycling shorts and top and no wet weather gear at all.

I was stopped at a set of lights and the heavens opened. Luckily it was warm so I just sat there looked up at the heavens and started to laugh.

I had some very strange looks from the motorists around me, but hay who cares. I was at one with nature and they were stuffed into metal boxes. No comparison….
stinningspan

Post by stinningspan »

You know what often goes through my mind when I'm cycling in bad weather ? I often imagine the poor sods in their car thinking "I wouldn't want to swap places with him in this weather", and I would love to be able to reply "What makes you think I would want to swap."

They don't know what they're missing.

I too have laughed out loud in heavy downpours - especially when the rain is warm :-)

Yours masochistically

SS.
Gavsdad

Post by Gavsdad »

This is the best topic I have seen, it has given me a lot of couage to 'come out'. In the 1960's I used to hate cold, wet wether, the 'waterproofs' then were, at best, showproof. I've ridden miles cold, wet and miserable.
These days technical fibres make bad weather a mild inconvenience. I love it, and now I can tell people about it. There is nothing wrong with me - or am I just as cazy as the rest of you.
As someone said, it's more of a pain in the car.
gordonedenuk

Post by gordonedenuk »

In 2005 myself, five friends and 6 DofE Awards Army cadets did a CTC Whitehaven to Seaham. Days 1,2 & 3 were reasonable weather but day 4 was horrendous. Wall to wall rain. I still smile at the thought that, as we passed a herd of cattle in the pouring rain, I shouted "What you looking at??" which startled the assembled bovines who turned tail and ran.

Then onwards to Seaham where some of us nutters just had to carry our bikes down the steps to the beach so that we could dip our wheels in the sea - we could not get any wetter!

Last year too, my wife and I were 5 miles from home on our bikes when we were caught in a storm. Press on home, once again both soaked to the skin. Once you are wet you are wet, just press on and get changed as soon as possible.
Mrs Tortoise

Post by Mrs Tortoise »

From recent experiences and coming forecasts, it looks like we're all going to get even wetter. Got soaked again on saturday, wonder if flippers would make me go any faster? (I suppose I'd be Mrs Turtle then!). :roll:
Dai

Post by Dai »

It's so wet yer in Wales Mrs T that Llangorse lake has anexed several adjacent meadows and all the trees have put their gortex coats on. The snowdrops are coming up though so that's a good sign.

Out this morning, did fifteen miles, which included riding, at speed, through a huge puddle and then going back several times to make sure I did it right - do we ever grow up? Hope not.