Stuck in a rut

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mill4six

Stuck in a rut

Post by mill4six »

Been commuting for 3 years now, between 60 and 90 miles a week depending how I feel. In the beginning I was keen to see how quick I could be and I love the fitness I've achieved, but now I've settled into my groove, I'm no faster, probably a little slower if I'm honest, than in those early days. Every trip I quickly find my rhythm and there I stay. I started running recently and read that I need to do intervals to get my speed up. Occasionally, particularly if I cycle on 2 consecutive days, I feel a little wobbly about halfway home, I've posted about this before. This annoys me! So the other day I got cross and increased the effort to max for the last 2 miles. Strangely I felt better afterwards. Today, although not feeling terribly strong I put in a 5 minute sprint on the way home and again felt better after. If I'm going to get out of my rut this is good news but I wonder what's going on? I'm finding some more energy from somewhere anyway....
minkie

Re: Stuck in a rut

Post by minkie »

Have you tried fartlek training on the bike? Someone on here recommended it to me a couple of years ago and it is good for introducing variety and getting you to use different paces during your routine ride.

You might also find it makes you go faster.

I like it because - unlike intervals - it's not too serious or regimented.
Give it a google...
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Things you could try to break the rut.
1 Set yourself a real challene, like doing a sportive. something to give yourself focus
or
2 Ride with other people Join the Sunday CTC rides or just get out with friends. If you get the right mix of people you'll find you enjoy it and your fitness will step up a couple of notches.
NUKe

Post by mw3230 »

Just a thought. Have you considered something like one of the Garmin or other electronic devices. They will allow you to plot/analyse your rides perhaps adding a further dimension or level of interest to your commute. Additionally, some have the facility of a virtual training partner which may make your ride more challenging to get you out of the rut.
Retired and loving it
stoobs

Post by stoobs »

It does seem that your body gets used to certain rides. I have a standard off-road route which is a fall back for any number of reasons, including lack of imagination. Even doing it the other way makes a big difference. Of course, I understand that you can't do that on a commute! However, if there's a chance to vary your route, to "trick" your body, I find that it works wonders.
Braveheart

Post by Braveheart »

A challenge - thats really what you need

Given that I'm still on a high - waiting for the ferry at le Harve

Just spent 4 days cycling to Paris from London. 340 miles of backroads, huge hills - Kent and northern France are NOT flat

raised £1300 for the Royal Marsden

Not bad for someone that is a bit tubby and 51 YO
..... they may take our lives.... but they'll never take our FREEDOM!!
mw3230

Post by mw3230 »

Braveheart wrote:A challenge - thats really what you need

Given that I'm still on a high - waiting for the ferry at le Harve

Just spent 4 days cycling to Paris from London. 340 miles of backroads, huge hills - Kent and northern France are NOT flat

raised £1300 for the Royal Marsden

Not bad for someone that is a bit tubby and 51 YO

Well done. (I'm a pound or two overweight and 57!)
Retired and loving it
fraxinus

Post by fraxinus »

Could you possibly be over training ?. The body needs time to recover that is when it gets fitter.
Sniffles,lethargy, disrupted sleep paterns, Irritability can be signs.
Sounds daft but sometimes a little time off the bike works wonders
Apart from that a long ride at the weekend or now the light nights are here an evening ride.
So many bike rides so little time
Andy_M

Post by Andy_M »

I'd agree with those suggesting a challenge. I'd got pretty bored with my commute and was struggling to get the enthusiasm to get out at weekends. Now working towards a PBP attempt next year and it's raised my levels of enthusiasm markedly. Even those rides home from work in the rain with a headwind seem to have a purpose in the grand scheme of things now, whereas before they were just a pain in the posterior.
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

Diet can make a huge difference. You wouldn't put rubbish into a car fuel tank, so why do the same to your body?
mill4six

Post by mill4six »

do you think I do? I'm strictly low GI give or take the odd tipple.
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

I was generalising :)

Low Gi is good for keeping you feeling full and awake. But by its very nature it is slow releasing, that's great when you're sitting about but on a bike you need more energy and nutrients.
quiksilver

Post by quiksilver »

What sort of bike do you ride? I used to commute on a 27 gear hybrid, but it all got rather mundane. I started riding fixed gear a few years back to give me a new challenge and stop me coasting for half of my ride. I love it and its stopped me being lazy and coasting for half my commute.